Thyme of Death (China Bayles 1) by Susan…

Thyme of Death (China Bayles 1) (original 1992; edition 1994)

by Susan Wittig Albert

Nominated for both an Agatha and an Anthony Award, Susan Wittig Albert's novels featuring ex-lawyer and herb-shop proprietor China Bayles have won acclaim for their rich characterization and witty, suspenseful stories of crime and passion in small-town Texas. Now, when China's friend Jo dies of an apparent suicide, China looks behind the quaint façade of Pecan Springs and takes a suspicious look at everyone. And though she finds lots of friendly faces, China is sure that one of them hides the heart of a killer.… (more)
Member:benfulton
Title:Thyme of Death (China Bayles 1)
Authors:Susan Wittig Albert
Info:Berkley (1994), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2

Thyme of Death by Susan Wittig Albert (1992)

Popsugar 2016: Book recommended by a family member ( )
  kittyjay | Feb 28, 2019 |
A. McL starting a cozy mystery book club at the library, thought this would be a good start as intro to cozies. (anyone who's read Miss Marple or Brother Cadfael, as I have, has read a cozy...) This book club will deal i themes - good idea, since the stories are not incredibly deep. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
A retired NY lawyer takes over a herbal shop in Texas, thinking life will be stress free until a good friend is found dead in her home, presumed by suicide. Secrets are uncovered, deaths add up along with the suspects and motives. There is romance, herbal tips, legal jargon, an adept "familiar" and even a car chase. The first in the herbal mysteries, of which I will read all.

I admit figuring out the culprit long before I should have, but then I was looking to. ( )
  CherylGrimm | Nov 22, 2017 |
Very readable mystery, the first in the series, with mostly unpredictable twists and turns. What made me relate to it even more was the fact that the mystery takes place in the area close to which I recently moved (a Librarything friend suggested this author having learned of my new location, and I am glad she did). The protagonist, China Bayles, having gotten tired of being a high-shot lawyer in a big city, settles down in Pecan Springs (not far from Austin), a small town with an unmistakably rural Texas feel, and while finding great relief in tending to a small herb growing business and shop, she stumbles upon and solves a mystery that makes her use her skills as a lawyer and investigator (her tending to herbs was another perk for me - to be interested in the book and, possibly, in the series). ( )
1 vote Clara53 | Jul 28, 2017 |
I'm a fan of Wittig-Albert's, especially her Tales of Beatrix Potter mysteries. I was a bit disappointed in Thyme of Death. I prefer my mysteries cozy and without sex scenes or a lot of swearing. This has both. But, I read it, as China Bayles is an unusual heroine and the writing and plot were good. But, I'll be going back to the Beatrix Potter mysteries and not reading anymore of these. Good for those who like cozies verging on crime novel and don't mind some mild explicit content.
  ReinaMWilliams | Mar 31, 2017 |
If I'd known how the week was going to turn out, I would have sent it back first thing Monday and asked for a refund.

Susan Wittig Albert is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,770,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible