Generation Dead: Kiss of Life by Daniel…

Generation Dead: Kiss of Life (edition 2010)

by Daniel Waters

Member:BookishBrunette
Title:Generation Dead: Kiss of Life
Authors:Daniel Waters
Info:
Collections:Your library, To read

Kiss of Life by Daniel Waters

I read the first one of these books a couple months ago and absolutely loved it. This one was also good, although maybe not quite AS good. Probably because some of the novelty had worn off, and because it's a middle book - quite obviously waiting for its sequel. Nonetheless, this is still a very good series of books. I like the social commentary inherent in them, and I like the fact that the author can actually write. I'll definitely be looking for the next one. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
The Generation Dead series is about what happens to teenagers who die and come back to life as zombies. At the end of Generation Dead, Adam had been shot and killed saving Phoebe's life from his former friend Pete the night of the prom. In the aftermath Phoebe must deal with her feelings for both Tommy and Adam as she and her differently biotic friends negotiate a world that is increasingly more hostile towards them.

Waters work continues to over written and angst riddled. There are certain allowances that one often makes for a YA novel simply because working with teenagers as characters means that maturity of thought and or behaviour at times is extremely immature; however Waters quickly pushes through that tolerance with an angst level that is enough to drive adults to throw themselves on a bed and cry about not being understood.

As with Generation Dead Waters seeks to tackle oppression of zombies by using the oppression faced by historically marginalized bodies as a framework. This of course amounts to appropriation and belittling of what marginalized people face on an everyday basis. In Generation Dead Waters dealt with the word zombie as a slur and specifically discussed reclaiming this word. In Kiss of Life Waters ups the anti by having a traditionally biotic person complaining about the inability to say the word zombie without facing retribution.

"I got a detention yesterday for saying the word zombie. Everyone in the room, even Tommy who Phoebe hadn't seen crack a smile since homecoming, seemed to think that was pretty funny. Alish laughed out loud, unmindful of his daughter's warning glare." (pg 28)

Of course they laughed. It's not like slurs hurt or stem from a historical method of dehumanizing minorities or anything right? This is specifically why the word zombie regardless of Waters intent should never be considered a slur even in a fictional sense. Then Waters decided to double down on his error by having the character complain about losing his girlfriend because of his relationships with differently biotic people (pg28), and in response the zombies only laughed. This is not a realistic response to this sort of appropriation and anyone who had any experience dealing with a slur would know that.

For the first time, we have the introduction of a gay character. Popeye is artistic and the mastermind behind the zombies social protest, though he does at time play second to Tak. We first learn that Popeye is gay when he makes a comment about how short Karen's skirt is and Tak wonders, "if Popeye got away with his innuendos because he was gay." (page 147) We quickly learn that not only is Popeye gay but he is in love with Tak who has hinted that he has no hope. "Popeye, he knew, wasn't really deterred. That was one curse that didn't leave when you died. The curse of hope". (149) I don't know about you but I am pretty sick of the trope that involves a gay character mooning over a straight character. There is no reason why Popeye could not have been given his own love interest.

FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
  Anniik | Sep 7, 2013 |
*sighs* Sadly this might turn out to be a very short review. I was really looking forward to reading Kiss of Life because I loved the first book Generation Dead. Generation Dead was action packed and thought provoking. The cliff hanger ending had me really eager to start reading Kiss of Life. Unfortunately, Kiss of Life was lacking in everything that made Generation Dead such a zombielicious book. Kiss of Life starts off right where Generation Dead left off, but instead of being an exciting continuation to an exciting cliff hanger, it was actually kind of slow moving and dull. Phoebe and the gang do not really do much of anything for most of the first 300 pages or so. The only really interesting parts for me were the chapters which were shown viewed from the newly undead Adam. It was pretty cool to see the whole story viewed from Adam especially because he was alive in the first book. The rest of the characters just fell flat for me this time around. Even the super villain Peter was really boring. Speaking of villains, I really wanted something more exciting to happen with the villains in Kiss of Life. Most of the villainous action occurs in the last 50 pages of the book. There should have been more of it and much sooner in the book. The pace of Kiss of Life was just way too sluggish for me. Despite my dissatisfaction with Kiss of Life, I will still read the next book in the Generation Dead series. The ending was strong enough to leave me wondering what was going to happen next. I probably won’t rush out to get a copy though. ( )
  sharonluvscats | Apr 2, 2011 |
  sharonluvscats | Apr 2, 2011 |
For Kim, the story continues
Phoebe. Beautiful Phoebe.

(from the back of the book)The phenomenon that's been sweeping the country seems to be here to stay. Not only are the teenagers who have come back from the dead still here, but newlydeads are being unearthed all the time. While scientists look for answers, and politicians take thheir stands, the undead population of Oakville has banded together in a group they're call the Sons of Romero, hoping to find solidarity in segregation. Phoebe Kendall may be alive, but she feels nearly as isolated as her dead friends. Just when she'd reconciled herself to having feelings for a zombie - her Homecoming date, Tommy Williams - her friend Adam proves his love by taking a bullet that was meant for her. Things get even more confusing when Adam comes back from his grave. Now Phoebe has two dead boys in her life - one who saved it, and one whom she can't seem to live without.

Adam's return from death has made Phoebe's love life even weirder. Now she has to choose between two zombie boys. She knows how Adam needs her, but she still has feelings for Tommy. Meanwhile, the zombie population of Oakville, Conn., continues to grow. As their numbers rise, the undead community is becoming increasingly divided.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,366,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible