Trash by Dorothy Allison

Another musty, wrinkled closet find discovered at my secret bunker in the Puerto Rican mountain jungle, this book's voice rose up to join the incessant calling of the coquís and the maniacal chuckling of the screech owl. I welcomed this voice inside me, where she built a makeshift shotgun shack and set to telling her stories. Allison grew up in South Carolina, where I used to live, though she lived in a much different part of the state. Her family was large and poor and members of it died with alarming frequency, often while quite young and under gruesome circumstances. She got the hell out of there and didn't much look back, except to tell the truth of it all. Someone had to. There is violence here, not violence for the sake of violence, but violence that shapes a person, violence that demands to be shouted out with the words that tell us what some are afraid to know, yet need to know, words that describe the shadow that is senseless to turn away from, for it follows all of us. There is also passion and lust, a grappling with all of life as a fierce light burns in her eyes. It's real, it's true, it's her life and she wants to tell it to you. (Okay, technically it's fiction, but read the preface and you'll understand).

"All I had known was that I had to get away from them—all of them—the men who could do those terrible things and the women who would let it happen to you. I'd never forgiven any of them." ( )
  S.D. | Apr 5, 2014 |
it doesn't get better than dorothy allison. more than anyone else, she makes me want to be a writer. ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |
Highly graphic, audacious and twisted, this book of short stories is the precursor to Bastard out of Carolina. Although I didn't enjoy Trash nearly as much as Bastard, I did favour 'Don't Tell Me You Don't Know' and 'I'm Working On My Charm.'

www.booksnakereviews.blogspot.com
  PamelaReads | Aug 5, 2011 |

Check out more of my reviews at BookSnakeReviews ( )
  PeachyTO | Apr 8, 2010 |
Page one, paragraph one of this collection of remembrances details the suicide of the author's eight-year-old cousin. Allison signals immediately her intent - to provoke, to shock and to stir the reader out of their their comfortable apathy. A born storyteller, she swings effortlessly between themes including abuse, death, poverty and sex (the sweaty, passionate, lesbian variety). Highly recommended for all, especially lovers of Southern and/or queer fiction. ( )
  whirled | Jan 20, 2009 |
Editions vary later editions include "Stubborn Girls and Mean Stories," "Compassion,"  and a new introduction by the author

Trash, Allison's landmark collection, laid the groundwork for her critically acclaimed Bastard Out of Carolina, the National Book Award finalist that was hailed by The New York Times Book Review as "simply stunning...a wonderful work of fiction by a major talent." In addition to Allison's classic stories, this new edition of Trash features "Stubborn Girls and Mean Stories," an introduction in which Allison discusses the writing of Trash and "Compassion," a never-before-published short story.

First published in 1988, the award-winning Trash showcases Allison at her most fearlessly honest and startlingly vivid. The limitless scope of human emotion and experience are depicted in stories that give aching and eloquent voice to the terrible wounds we inflict on those closest to us. These are tales of loss and redemption; of shame and forgiveness; of love and abuse and the healing power of storytelling.

A book that resonates with uncompromising candor and incandescence, Trash is sure to captivate Allison's legion of readers and win her a devoted new following.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:23 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,329,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible