The Element: How Finding Your Passion…

The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything (2009)

by Ken Robinson

Other authors: Lou Aronica

7171913,134 (3.94)3

Great stuff - esential reading for all kids in grade 8, teachers and teachers administrators, and policy makers ( )
  Brumby18 | Jun 27, 2014 |
Rating: 3.5 of 5

The Element was an inspirational introduction to Robinson's concept the Element which is "the place where the things we love to do and the things we are good at come together." Filled with with examples of how successful people discovered their own Element it's a great jumping off point for those who know in their gut something just isn't right in their life and they want to change that. But you won't find any how-to or exercises for finding your own Element. For that sort of stuff you'll have to read Robinson's other book, Finding Your Element.

Quotes that jumped out at me:

"What is true is that if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original (p. 15)."

"The Element has two main features, and there are two conditions for being in it. The features are aptitude and passion. The conditions are attitude and opportunity. The sequence goes something like this: I get it; I love it; I want it; Where is it? (p.22)"

"You can think of creativity as applied imagination (p. 67)." Imagination is internal; creativity is actually doing something with that imagination.

"Activities we love fill us with energy even when we are physically exhausted. Activities we don't like can drain us in minutes, even if we approach them at our physical peak of fitness...When people place themselves in situations that lead to their being in the zone, they tap into a primal source of energy. They are literally more alive because of it (p.93)."

"It turns out, " Dr. Henry Lodge says, "that 70% of American aging is not real aging. It's just decay. It's rot from the stuff that we do. All the lifestyle diseases...the diabetes, the obesity, the heart disease, much of the Alzheimer's, lots of the cancers, and almost all of the osteoporosis, those are all decay. Nature doesn't have that in store for any of us. We go out and buy it off the rack. (p.197)" ( )
  flying_monkeys | Apr 28, 2014 |
Inspiring book, as was his TED talk. Easy to read. ( )
  lauren.castan | Apr 3, 2013 |
There is alot of inspiring storied of people finding their passion and going onto great things, which is well and good but it did start to become overkill. The Element was a very interesting read and I enjoyed most of it. Now I just need to start applying the thinks I’ve learnt to my life. ( )
  knowledgelost | Mar 31, 2013 |

Ken Robinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aronica, Lousecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
A few years ago, I heard a wonderful story, which I'm very fond of telling.

The Element is the point at which natural talent meets personal passion. When people arrive at the Element, they feel most themselves and most inspired and achieve at their highest levels. With a wry sense of humor, Ken Robinson looks at the conditions that enable us to find ourselves in the Element and those that stifle that possibility. Drawing on the stories of a wide range of people, including Paul McCartney, Matt Groening, Richard Branson, Arianna Huffington, and Bart Conner, he shows that age and occupation are no barrier and that this is the essential strategy for transform­ing education, business, and communities in the twenty-first century.

A breakthrough book about talent, passion, and achievement from one of the world's leading thinkers on creativity and self-fulfillment.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:49 -0400)

Discusses how people can gain the most career satisfaction with a balance between natural talent and personal passion, explores the conditions that enable and repress that possibility, and describes the careers of Paul McCartney, Matt Groening, Meg Ryan, and others.… (more)

427 wanted8 pay5 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,620,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible