The Element: How Finding Your Passion…

The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything (2009)

by Ken Robinson

Other authors: Lou Aronica

A little vague on advising exactly what the best way to find one's element is, but it certainly makes a strong case for finding it. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Good audiobook. There's so much I liked about it. The part about lucky people and unlucky people really struck a cord with me. I've always seen myself as an unlucky person, and I've been working on replacing negative thoughts with positive ones & toward becoming a less negative and more agreeable person. The stories of how some people have overcome tragedies & have gone on to find their element are truly inspiring. I recommend this. ( )
  cjservis | Jan 17, 2016 |
Selected e-content from Google Books: https://goo.gl/uE2j2d

Review from World Cat:
With a wry sense of humor, Ken Robinson looks at the conditions that enable us to find ourselves in the element--the point at which natural talent meets personal passion--and then outlines an essential strategy for transforming education, business, and communities to meet the challenges of living and succeeding in the twenty-first century.
  COREEducation | Sep 3, 2015 |
This book made my reading list because it was on a list of books recommended to change your life, or a similar promise. Perhaps this would be true if I were reading it at age 19, but I suspect that most people of my age have encountered Robinson's themes previously. I recall as a teenager having Dr. Norman Vincent Peale's The Power of Positive Thinking thrust upon me by my parents, who apparently thought I was mired in teen negativity. Imagine that! In the intervening years, I've had exposure to finding my "zone", the "artist's way", and myriad programs of workplace creativity-inspiring. And yet, I still can't definitively label my particular element. There are numerous activities I enjoy, and a few I even do well, but nothing I could accurately describe as an overriding passion.

Most of Robinson's success stories involve people who found their element seemingly by chance. I'm left to wonder what happens to the would-be dancer who is never taken to the ballet studio and thus never discovers this latent gift? Robinson doesn't address that, although he does give examples of people who find a passion later in life, or in a unorthodox context.

I spent most of the book also wondering who would drive the garbage trucks if everyone is out looking for their creative element. Surely some tasks are necessary but unlikely to elicit much passion. Zen Buddhists tackle this reality by urging mindfulness and reverence when performing every task, no matter how mundane. But Robinson doesn't seem to be coming from the "be here now" school of thought. However, he does indirectly address the question in a section titled "for love or money," noting that some people pursue their passion as a hobby while working a job to pay the bills.

Robinson's stories are engaging and inspirational, and every now and then even those of us in our middle years can benefit by renewed attention to this question of, "what are my dreams and am I pursuing them?"
  Sharon.Flesher | Jul 13, 2015 |
Come tutti i libri incoraggianti e intelligenti le recensioni possono essere sostanzialmente di due tipi: (1) le solite stronzate (2) meglio della Bibbia.
Si', e' vero, alcune sono le solite cose gia' sentite, ma Robinson non le dice, le trasmette. Poi, non sara' come la Bibbia ma ci sono tanti tanti spunti che, se non risolvono, almeno aiutano. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |

Ken Robinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aronica, Lousecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
A few years ago, I heard a wonderful story, which I'm very fond of telling.

The Element is the point at which natural talent meets personal passion. When people arrive at the Element, they feel most themselves and most inspired and achieve at their highest levels. With a wry sense of humor, Ken Robinson looks at the conditions that enable us to find ourselves in the Element and those that stifle that possibility. Drawing on the stories of a wide range of people, including Paul McCartney, Matt Groening, Richard Branson, Arianna Huffington, and Bart Conner, he shows that age and occupation are no barrier and that this is the essential strategy for transform­ing education, business, and communities in the twenty-first century.

A breakthrough book about talent, passion, and achievement from one of the world's leading thinkers on creativity and self-fulfillment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:47 -0400)

Discusses how people can gain the most career satisfaction with a balance between natural talent and personal passion, explores the conditions that enable and repress that possibility, and describes the careers of Paul McCartney, Matt Groening, Meg Ryan, and others.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,134,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible