When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's…

When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home

by Erma Bombeck

Not Bombeck's best work, but still laugh-out-loud funny in places and light and breezy throughout. Bombeck's signature voice and her ability to poke fun at her family while never losing her obvious affection for them is unequaled. Here, she takes on summer vacation, particularly overseas. Her entire canon should be required reading for humorists and columnists. ( )
  TheBentley | Jun 24, 2016 |
Bombeck hits the bull's-eye with this wry meditation on the art of surviving one's long-dreamed-of and hard-earned exotic vacations. Huddled in a lumpy bed in Papua New Guinea, listening to a tribal war play itself out in the street outside her hotel room, Bombeck reflects on the privileges earned by a life of hard work, prudent financial management, and a taste for adventure. Over the years, not... ( )
  Tutter | Mar 2, 2015 |
Every now and then I stumble upon a book that makes me laugh out loud, and even, at times, brings tears. Ms. Bombeck was so realistic in her descriptions that I felt I had been along with her and her husband on their trips, and I know I would have laughed during the entire vacation. Even though this was written in 1993, most of it is relevant to today's problems encountered when traveling. The only sad note is a mention of terrorists(or the dismissal of such a thing), for as we know, later, traveling becomes more difficult due to restrictions. For a reminder of how innocent we all were before 9-11, read this book and get copies to share with your friends. We all need to laugh, and Erma Bombeck will make you do that with this book.. ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Sep 18, 2011 |
A truer title hasn't been published since. ( )
  MsNikki | Oct 26, 2007 |
I, being but a wee child in the 90’s had never heard of Erma Bombeck until recently when I started falling in love with travel writing, whether it be fiction, non-fiction, guides or humor. I stumbled upon this book while clicking around on Amazon.com, and found out through my parents that Erma was hilarious and a great travel writer. I couldn’t help but buy the book, and when I got it, I ended up reading it over vacation.
Throughout the book, I enjoyed Erma’s tales of misery and mishaps out in the world, loving the fact that she was mainly focused on shopping and collecting souvenir’s, which I must admit I do too. I liked her humble beginnings, and how she didn’t even start traveling and writing until she was middle aged, and had actually been a homebody beforehand.
And knowing that makes sense when later, when telling her stories, she seems to actually be complaining about a lot of things, most of which are just part of travel and shouldn’t be nitpicked. I didn’t like how for a lot of the vacations she went on, she didn’t bring her kids. Travel is such a wonderful thing and allows people to grow in enormous ways, no matter what age. I guess back when she first started traveling, The Kids stayed home with The Adults went off and played. Thank lord I didn’t grow up with that kind of upbringing, or I wouldn’t be at all interested in the rest of the world as I am today. So, parents reading this, take your kids with you.
The novel was also funny, but I wouldn’t say “hilarious” like everyone else I talked to said. I’ve read a LOT of travel books, and this was up there on the list of funny ones (oh wait, nearly all of them are funny), but not too far up. If you really want to laugh out loud, give “No Touch Monkey!” by Ayun Halliday a try.
Overall, it was a nice, quick read with entertaining stories, and I’m sure all Bombeck fans will (if they haven’t already) enjoy it. ( )
  ThatsFresh | Apr 1, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061099813, Mass Market Paperback)

Erma Bombeck is at her hilarious best in this tour de force of laughs! With honesty and insight, she offers tips and truisms all travelers can appreciate:

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

The author tells of her travel experiences around the world, addressing the questions of travelers everywhere.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,421,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible