Green Journey by Jon Hassler

Green Journey (original 1985; edition 1996)

by Jon Hassler

Member:hofjoemann
Title:Green Journey
Authors:Jon Hassler
Info:Ballantine Books (1996), Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:Family Room

A Green Journey by Jon Hassler (1985)

Possible SPOILER. This book was published in 1985 and has Agatha McGee, a prominent character in the author's novel Staggerford (which I read 15 May 1996), as its central character. She has corresponded for five years with James O'Hannon in Ireland and decides to go to see him. They meet - she falls in love - and finds out he is a priest! Janet Raft had a child out of wedlock, and Agatha helped her cope. Then Janet married Randy Mears, and Randy isn't much count. Janet goes to Ireland too, as does Bishop Dick Baker. Through much of the book I thought the writing not elegant, but the book finishes strong, funny and encourging, and the end left me with a warm glow all around. So nice to have moral people carry on and avoid evil. I found this book delightful. It was as good as Hassler's Simon's Night (which I read 27 May 1996) and all in all I am glad I have come to know Jon Hassler's work. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jul 28, 2013 |
I admire Jon Hassler's ability to write fiction with intriguing plots and characters and I enjoyed this novel too. The main characters are a 68 year old retired teacher, a mystery pen pal in Ireland, a bishop that said teacher disagrees with over his modernizing the church, and a young wife. When the main characters travel to Ireland and the mystery pen pal shows up, the story is very compelling. ( )
  hangen | Mar 3, 2010 |
Things throw light on things.
And all the stones have wings.
---Theodore Roethke
For my mother
Ellen Callinan Hassler

And to the memory of my father
Leo B. Hassler
1896-1984
On the night before Christmas, a snowy night with wind in the forecast, Janet Raft arrived at Agatha McGee's house on River Street.

"Hassler's characters have old-fashioned values and typical human failings; they make this a novel to restore your faith in humanity."
LOS ANGELES TIMES
Agatha McGee is following a dream, though it might be late in the game. She's just retired from a career of teaching and travels to Ireland in search of the romance she never had time for. And along the way, she not only discovers people she would never have let herself know before, but learns through experience, at long last, that love is unpredictable, unstoppable, and never appears as we dream it will.

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:36 -0400)

Sixty?something Agatha McGee is feisty, intelligent, honorable, quick witted, hot?tempered, and nurturing. A problem at the school where she teaches propels her to leave America for Ireland and look for the pen pal with whom she has corresponded for years. It may be a little late in the game, but for once in her life Agatha follows her heart in search of a dream. Along the way, she not only discovers people she would never have allowed herself to know before, but she learns through experience, at long last, that love is unpredictable, unstoppable, and never appears as we dream it will.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,139,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible