Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems

Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Mo Willems, Mo Willems (Illustrator)

Member:alissabecker
Title:Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed
Authors:Mo Willems
Other authors:Mo Willems (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2009)
Tags:Naked mole rats, Wilbur, clothes, outsider, Grand-pah, acceptance

Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems (2009)

Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems is about Wilbur, a mole rat, who unlike his kith and kin, likes to wear clothes. He suffers teasing and bullying but manages to stay true to himself.

It's a good introduction to peer pressure and self identity. After all the bullying, the book does end on a positive note. All it take is one person (or mole rat) to accept Rufus before others decide "why not?" as well.

Of all the Mo Willems books I've read, this one is probably the most heavy hitting. It's also perhaps, the most open-ended. It can be used in any number of discussions where a child feels like he or she doesn't fit in. ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 13, 2014 |
Wilbur, the mole rat loves dressing up. The one problem with that though, is that naked mole rats aren't supposed to wear clothes. Will Wilbur be able to convince Grand Pa and the rest of the mole rats that clothes are the way to go?
  kfh2 | Jun 9, 2014 |
This is a wonderful book about the need to be different. In a colony of naked mole rats where everyone looks the same, Wilbur is the exception. He likes to wear clothes which none of the other naked mole rats can fathom. Wilbur gets asked a lot why he likes to wear clothes. His simple yet powerful response is, "Why not?" By the end of the story wearing clothes becomes an okay thing to do and the other naked mole rats are joining in the fun. I really like the comment made by "Grand-Pah" the nakedest mole rat of them all, when he asks the other naked mole rats, "does wearing clothes hurt anyone?" This is a great thing to ask ourselves any time we want to judge others for being different. Does their difference hurt anyone? My first graders really enjoyed this book as did my two boys. Mo Williems does it again! ( )
  Jdwalker | May 19, 2014 |
Ehn. We were expecting something better with this book. We were all slightly disappointed, but we still admire Willems and his genius. We did like the message. That was the best part. ( )
  quillmenow | Dec 31, 2013 |
I can't remember how this found its way onto my to-read list... It is very funny though and I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
for Trixie
There is so much to learn about the fascinating little creatures known as naked mole rats.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142311437X, Hardcover)

Wilbur is different from the other Naked Mole Rats in his Colony, because he wears clothes (and he likes it!).   But what will happen when Grandpah, the oldest, wisest, and most naked Naked Mole Rat ever discovers Wilbur’s secret?

Funnyman and three-time Caldecott Honoree Mo Willems exposes the naked truth about being yourself and wearing it well.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:22 -0400)

Wilbur, a naked mole rat who likes to wear clothes, is forced to go before the wise community elder, who surprises the other naked mole rats with his prounouncement.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,709,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible