A Prayer for Owen Meany (Modern Library) by…

A Prayer for Owen Meany (Modern Library) (original 1989; edition 2002)

by John Irving

13,892244150 (4.27)2 / 467
Member:JWP321
Title:A Prayer for Owen Meany (Modern Library)
Authors:John Irving
Info:Modern Library (2002), Hardcover, 672 pages
Rating:*****

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (1989)

Recently added byJungleJ, private library, JohnHLowery, Laurochka, CydMelcher, Cindi.Billington, walktapus
    The World According to Garp by John Irving (dele2451, shesinplainview)
    dele2451: Garp and Owen would make a great literary double feature. I wish I didn't have to wait so many years between reading both of these wonderful books.
    The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving (Booksloth)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (jhedlund)
    The Tin Drum by Günter Grass (spiphany)
    The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall (sanddancer)
    A Son of the Circus by John Irving (Booksloth)
    She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb (shesinplainview)
    American Gods - The Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both works have elements of religion and belief. They are both mystical in very different ways.
    The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall (sruszala)
    sruszala: The style--many characters, complicated but compelling story, the humor--all remind me of John Irving
    A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (spiphany)
    spiphany: The production of "A Christmas Carol" is one of the most memorable scenes from the novel - I think it's interesting to go back and (re)read the source of inspiration.

English (237)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  German (2)  All languages (244)
Fantastic story, well told, interesting and engaging from "the first sentence". This book deserves the "classic" status that it has earned.

The audio version adds another interesting element - voices that resonate with the characters. Not for everyone, but excellent for me! ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
I rarely give 5 stars, but for me, this was definitely a 5-star read! It is written so well. And even as long as it is, it keeps your attention. I highly recommend it! ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |
John and his friend Owen grow up in a small New England town during the 50’s and 60’s. Owen is unusual in that he is very small, has a unique voice, and truly believes that he is God’s instrument. The novel also jumps forward to John’s adult life as a teacher in Canada. The Vietnam War plays an important role in the book, and religion and faith are the primary themes.

This is a very serious book, but there’s plenty of humor in most of it to lighten the mood. By the time we get to the end and the Vietnam War is in full swing the humor has pretty much disappeared, but that’s to be expected. There’s just something really enjoyable about the nostalgia of other people’s childhoods. Because of the constant flashing back from John’s adult life to his childhood, we get a lot of hints about what is going to happen, but we don’t find out the details until the very end of the novel. When you combine this with the humor and nostalgia, it makes for a very enjoyable read. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Growing up in small-town New England during the middle of the last century was a heady time. A tidal wave of changes were coming to this country that would have a lasting affect on everyone who lived through them. Johnny and his best friend Owen Meany were no exception. Though it's not where the book starts, their story very much begins when Owen, as a young boy, accidentally kills Johnny's mother. Their friendship survives and deepens after this incident, bringing them closer together while they struggle to through the common and not so common problems of adolescence.

I'll be the first to admit, I was wrong about this book. I've avoided it for a couple years because I just wasn't all that impressed by the only other John Irving novel I've read. However, people kept recommending it to me, it is on the list of 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, and I owned a copy of it. It felt like it was just the time to get the monkey off my back. I am so thankful I did. I truly enjoyed every moment of this book.

The author did a great job of describing a time and a place, and though I was not alive during the Vietnam War, I think the placement in time was well done. A lot of the characters were a bit eccentric, but what I liked is that they were human, they (well with the exception of maybe one) weren't caricatures of what you expect someone living through 1960s America to be. I was particularly enamored with Owen Meany. He wasn't at all like any other character I've ever read. From his size, to his off-putting voice, to his surety of faith, he was just so unique and special. Johnny was the perfect best friend and as the witness to Owen Meany's particular story, also the perfect vehicle to narrate his story. I don't think that this book could have been done well without the deft touch that Irving took with his characters. It could have been very easy to mess this story up. Between the death of Johnny's mother and the very strong religious tones, there were some pretty heavy plotlines to deal with. It's not a book that just anyone could have written. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Audio narrated by Joe Barrett

Opening sentence: I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice – not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother’s death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.

This is a modern fable; a story of faith, moral courage, destiny and friendship. Covering the period from 1953 to the late 1980s, Irving uses the narrator – Johnny Wheelwright – to comment on the politics of the day, social mores, the role of faith and religion in our communities, and the miracle of enduring friendship.

I loved Owen Meany almost as much as Johnny did. He could be exasperating, but there was something so mature and wise and loving about him that simply drew me in. He was a born leader, and while he sometimes struggled with the burden of that leadership he forged ahead with courage, grace, dignity and faith.

Joe Barrett does a fine job performing the audio version. His unique voice for Owen Meany is very effective. I did read a few sections, and I have to agree somewhat with some of the negative reviews about the ALL CAPS used for Owen’s voice. This is where the audio version really helped.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
"Owen Meany" is as sappy as a book can get without having a title like "Coddled By The Light" or "Sauntering Towards the Light" or "Picking Posies in the Fields of the Light," but it's never nauseating or treacly or overly wholesome. It's a nice good fun read, like a quiet vacation. Irving isn't wrangling us with extremes, here -- he gives us a break. You've been beat up enough, he says. I'll do the work for you this time. The result is merciful, healthy, warm and gladdening.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Cintra Wilson (Sep 30, 1996)

The characters capable of representing such scepticism don't look good on paper, while the book puts all its efforts into promoting a belief in belief. But a belief in belief is something this book lams into elsewhere: the Americans' propensity for decisiveness in the absence of policy. On the green award of the Gravesend Academy, it may seem innocent enough; in the jungles and deserts of international trouble spots, it looks fatally naive.
added by stephmo | editThe Guardian, Stephen Games (Jun 5, 1989)

Despite its theological proppings, A Prayer for Owen Meany is a fable of political predestination. As usual, Irving delivers a boisterous cast, a spirited story line and a quality of prose that is frequently underestimated, even by his admirers.
added by Shortride | editTime, R. Z. Sheppard (Apr 3, 1989)

Mr. Irving shows considerable skill as scene after scene mounts to its moving climax. But the thinking behind it all seems juvenile, preppy, is much too pleased with itself. There is something appropriate in the fact that so much of the book takes place in and around a New England academy. The heavily emphasized ''religious'' symbols at the center of the book - the contrast to American aggressiveness offered by the clawlessness of the armadillo, the armlessness of the Indian founder of the town, even John Wheelwright's imbecile joy at being mutilated as still another symbol of his sacrifice of sex to right thinking - all this reminds this long-tried teacher of all the ''Christ symbols'' his students find in everything and anything they have to read.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Alfred Kazin (Mar 12, 1989)

Diminutive Owen Meany, believing himself to be God's instrument, unlocks life's mysteries for his closest friend in this imaginative mix of humor and tragedy.
From Booklist, Copyright © American Library Association. Used with permission.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

John Irvingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Broek, C.A.G. van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veenbaas, JabikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vink, NettieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
—The Letter of Paul
to the Philippians
Not the least of my problems is that I can hardly even imagine what kind of an experience a genuine, self-authenticating religious experience would be. Without somehow destroying the process, how could God reveal himself in a way that would leave no room for doubt? If there were no room for doubt, there would be no room for me.
—Frederick Buechner
Any Christian who is not a hero is a pig.
—Leon Bloy
This book is for
Helen Frances Winslow Irving and
Colin Franklin Newell Irving,
my mother and father
I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice—not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.
One can learn much through the thin walls of summer houses.
She was just like our whole country—not quite young anymore, but not old either; a little breathless, very beautiful, maybe a little stupid, maybe a lot smarter than she seemed. And she was looking for something--I think she wanted to be good. Look at the men in her life—Joe DiMaggio, Arthur Miller, maybe the Kennedys. Look at how good they seem! Look at how desirable she was! That's what she was: she was desirable. She was funny and sexy—and she was vulnerable, too. She was never quite happy, she was always a little overweight. She was just like our whole country... And those men... Those famous, powerful men—did they really love her? Did they take care of her? If she was ever with the Kennedys, they couldn't have loved her—they were just using her, they were just being careless and treating themselves to a thrill. That's what powerful men do to this country—it's a beautiful, sexy, breathless country, and powerful men use it to treat themselves to a thrill! They say they love it but they don't mean it. They say things to make themselves appear good—they make themselves appear moral. That's what I thought Kennedy was: a moralist. But he was just giving us a snow job, he was just being a good seducer. I thought he was a savior. I thought he wanted to use his power to do good. But people will say and do anything just to get the power; then they'll use the power just to get a thrill. Marilyn Monroe was always looking for the best man—maybe she wanted the man with the most ability to do good. And she was seduced, over and over again—she got fooled, she was tricked, she got used, she was used up. Just like the country. The country wants a savior. The country is a sucker for powerful men who look good. We think they're moralists and then they just use us.
Every day is different; you never know how busy you'll be—most people don't die on schedule, most families don't order gravestones in advance.
. . . twenty-two-year-olds are stubborn.
You can't understand anything by reading the news.
Please distinguish between (a) the complete novel, A Prayer for Owen Meany; (b) the first part only; and (b) the second part only. Thank you.
A Prayer for Owen Meany is the story of a a boy names John (the narrator) and his best friend Owen. Small, and dwarf-like, with a high pitched voice stressed by capital letters, Owen becomes John's inspiriation, and the reason why he becomes a Christian. While the book entails alot of religious aspect, it is not at all overwhelming, or attempting to sway you towards converting to a Christian. It is simply the reaction of John Wheelright to the occurances that happen to him and his best friend, and how he came to interpret them all. The book is querky, sinister, and humerous to say the least. I highly recomend this book to anyone.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345361792, Mass Market Paperback)

Owen Meany is a dwarfish boy with a strange voice who accidentally kills his best friend's mom with a baseball and believes--accurately--that he is an instrument of God, to be redeemed by martyrdom. John Irving's novel, which inspired the 1998 Jim Carrey movie Simon Birch, is his most popular book in Britain, and perhaps the oddest Christian mystic novel since Flannery O'Connor's work. Irving fans will find much that is familiar: the New England prep-school-town setting, symbolic amputations of man and beast, the Garp-like unknown father of the narrator (Owen's orphaned best friend), the rough comedy. The scene of doltish the doltish headmaster driving a trashed VW down the school's marble staircase is a marvelous set piece. So are the Christmas pageants Owen stars in. But it's all, as Highlights magazine used to put it, "fun with a purpose." When Owen plays baby Jesus in the pageants, and glimpses a tombstone with his death date while enacting A Christmas Carol, the slapstick doesn't cancel the fact that he was born to be martyred. The book's countless subplots add up to a moral argument, specifically an indictment of American foreign policy--from Vietnam to the Contras.

The book's mystic religiosity is steeped in Robertson Davies's Deptford trilogy, and the fatal baseball relates to the fatefully misdirected snowball in the first Deptford novel, Fifth Business. Tiny, symbolic Owen echoes the hero of Irving's teacher Günter Grass's The Tin Drum--the two characters share the same initials. A rollicking entertainment, Owen Meany is also a meditation on literature, history, and God. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Owen Meany, the only child of a New Hampshire granite quarrier, believes he is God's instrument. He is. This is John Irving's most comic novel; yet Owen Meany is his most heartbreaking character.

5 2015

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,045,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible