Strapped: Why America's 20- and…

Strapped: Why America's 20- and 30-Somethings Can't Get Ahead

by Tamara Draut

Subtitle: Why America's 20- and 30-Somethings Can't Get Ahead
  Elishibai | Oct 19, 2013 |
It's always interesting to read a book like this that's somewhat dated in even 5 just years. Since this book was written we've had a major recession and collapse of the housing bubble, not to mention a president who got elected thanks to young folks. Those are all extremely pertinent to this book, so reading this was sort of like a look into the past. Strapped remains a very relevant book, however, and I'd recommend it if you're interested in why it's so hard to get ahead as a young adult these days. ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 14, 2010 |
Extremely interesting analysis of the Gen-X economy, and the reasons it's nearly impossible to get ahead. ( )
  rbaech | Jul 10, 2008 |
This was more of a published thesis than anything else. Lots of numbers, no suggestions just justification on being "strapped". ( )
  megrockstar | Jul 7, 2007 |
the beginning of the book was very informative. It was kind of wild to read some of the facts and stats she lists ... it made me think, well duh! Now I get why I feel like dh are struggling so much and we aren't even the worst of the worst!
And then came the second part - in which she suggests some ideas to change things. And although some of her ideas seem actually okay, a lot of them just make me cringe. She expects the government to do a lot, which may be fine to expect that, but a lot of the important things the government is in charge of these days, well, they aren't doing so hot in my opinion, and so I'd be hesitant to say, well, although you are failing public schools from k-12th grade, let's let you take over preschool and infant care! Let's see how you can fail those two areas too!
I suppose her point now is that they aren't that great to begin with, so really the government can't do much worse - I don't think they could do better though.
Anyway, overall an interesting read for sure. ( )
  Brandie | Dec 5, 2006 |

Drowning in student loan and credit card debt? Can’t afford to get married, buy a home, have children? At last, a book for the under-35 generation (and their parents) that explains why it is not their fault.

Strapped offers a groundbreaking look at the new obstacle course facing young adults—the under-35 crowd—as they try to build careers, buy homes, and start families. As Tamara Draut explains, getting ahead is getting harder. A college degree is the new high school diploma—but it now costs a fortune to get that degree, and students graduate with crippling debts. Good jobs are scarcer thanks to stagnant wages and disappearing benefits. And, the cost of everything—starter homes, health coverage, child care—keeps going up and up. Budding families, even those with two incomes, struggle to pay the bills, while Visa and Mastercard have become the new safety net. Young adults are starting out behind the financial eight ball—borrowing their way into adulthood and wondering whatever happened to the American Dream.

Is this the way things have to be? Not at all, argues Tamara Draut, a leading young commentator and a fresh voice for change. She shows how the obstacle course bedeviling young adults didn’t just happen—it was allowed to happen by a generation of leaders more interested in serving wealthy interests than in investing in the nation’s future. Strapped brims with ideas for a new kind of America where every young person can go to college, buy a home, and start a family.
Strapped will help jump-start a national conversation about where the country is failing—and how we can make it right again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:24 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,950,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible