Comfort Me with Apples: More Adventures at the Table (2001)

by Ruth Reichl

In the author's latest book, one that will delight her fans and convert those as yet uninitiated to her charming tales, she brings to life her adventures in pursuit of good meals and good company. Picking up where Tender at the Bone leaves off, this book recounts her transformation from chef to food writer, a process that led her through restaurants from Bangkok to Paris to Los Angeles and brought lessons in life, love, and food. It is an apprenticeship by turns delightful and daunting, one told in the most winning and engaging of voices. The anecdotes from a summer lunch with M.F.K. Fisher, a mad dash through the produce market with Wolfgang Puck, and a garlic feast with Alice Waters are priceless. She is unafraid, even eager, to poke holes in the pretensions of food critics, making each meal a hilarious and instructive occasion for novices and experts alike. The New York Times has said, "While all good food critics are humorous ... few are so riotously, effortlessly entertaining as Ruth Reichl." In this book, the author once again demonstrates her inimitable ability to combine food writing, humor, and memoir into an art form.… (more)
    Climbing the Mango Trees: A Memoir of a Childhood in India by Madhur Jaffrey (cransell)
    cransell: Another great memoir, with a heavy dose of food writing.

Sometimes you find a book that surprises you totally! A very wonderful memoir full of recipes that cry out to be taken seriously. I want to try page 255 for certain. Danny Kaye's pasta. ( )
  Alphawoman | Jan 7, 2018 |
I love Reichl's writing, and I did love this book.

It picks up where her "Tender at the Bone" left off, and was breathtakingly honest about some complicated real life issues.

And with recipes!

My only quibble is that the recipes are not referenced anywhere; today I paged through the book and made my own index. I want to try cooking about half of them...

A fascinating memoir, with intriguing recipes I want to cook. ( )
  cissa | Apr 8, 2016 |
Reichl writes Soooo well, you can practically taste the food. But her behavior was terrible and I nearly stopped because I couldn't like or believe in her. Ultimately I'm glad I finished, and I will read more from her. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 3, 2016 |
Cooking, food, wine, travel, life, and sex ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
The sequel to "Tender at the Bone" by Ruth Reichl, this is subtitled "more adventures at the table". However the adventures are by means restricted to the table, many of them take place in the book is just as much about Reichl's love life as it is about her love for food.
This doesn't make it any less interesting (unless you're only interested in food), but for someone who seems to have made some impetuous decisions in regard to men, she manages to come out relatively unscathed at the end.

Some of her downs admittedly were very challenging (losing a child, marriage to her first love breaking up) but despite it she survives through what can only be described as having the good luck to live a charmed life (or maybe I’m just jealous!)

This book didn't have the charm of the first one for me. I found her character less sympathetic, perhaps because more self-engrossed in an annoying way - ok I know she started moving in celebrity circles as her career picked up in this book, but I got a little tired of the name dropping. The food descriptions were, as before, brilliant, even if I shuddered at some of the things she was brave enough to eat (very suspect in the case of her visit to China). An engrossing read nevertheless and I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  Anne_Green | Aug 25, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

The primary requisite for writing well about food is a good appetitie - A. J. Liebling
This one's for Nick
Easy for him to say: He was independently wealthy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,768,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible