Echo Burning (Jack Reacher) by Lee Child

Echo Burning (Jack Reacher) (original 2001; edition 2013)

by Lee Child

Member:utnjc1
Title:Echo Burning (Jack Reacher)
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Berkley Trade (2013), Edition: 2, Paperback, 432 pages

Echo Burning by Lee Child (2001)

English (54)  Dutch (4)  German (1)  All languages (59)
I'm slowly making my way through the Jack Reacher series and this is probably the best novel I've read yet. There are plenty of twists in the story and just when you think there's no way to tie them all up neatly things start to fall into place. If I had to criticize anything it would be Reacher's unfailing ability to be right in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Reacher never seems to have any doubt that he could be wrong. Other than that, it's one heck of a book. All the various elements are well foreshadowed and have a significant plot impact later in the book. All in all, makes me want to pick up the next one straight away. ( )
  QuantumPete | Mar 14, 2018 |
Having read my first Jack Reacher book recently, "One Shot", and thoroughly enjoying it, I was keen to try a second one. However, "Echo Burning" didn't appeal. To be frank, I found it boring. There was too much emphasis on the weather - if I was told one more time how hot it was in Texas, I was going to scream! Also, I didn't like Reacher as a cowboy and the plot was convoluted. Very disappointing! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Aug 27, 2017 |
My favorite part of the book came at the end when Jack slips away to thumb his way to yet another unknown destination... reminded me of the old Incredible Hulk tv show where Bruce has to keep moving on! But really, the author keeps the reader guessing - throwing out red herrings and suggesting unreliable narrators. It is fitting that Jack solves the day by listening to his intuition and picking up the subtle clues. ( )
  tjsjohanna | May 24, 2017 |
3.5 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
Just how did Jack Reacher escape my notice until now? This is my first encounter with Child and I'm hooked. His characters are well drawn, the plot filled with suspense. American authors who write mysteries set in England often do not get it quite right, so I was interested in this English author setting his mystery in the U.S. In my opinion he hit the spot and produced a page-turner that kept me up most of the night. Great stuff! ( )
  VivienneR | Aug 31, 2016 |

Lee Childprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There were three watchers, two men and a boy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515143820, Mass Market Paperback)

Jack Reacher is Spenser before Robert Parker domesticated his Boston PI--in fact, Reacher's even tougher than Hawk. He can inhale and exhale a few times and pump up his muscles so they make a bad character think twice about tangling with him. And he's spent enough time on the right side of the law to know how to operate in the gray zone if that's what it takes to save the fair maiden, punish the bad guys, and right any other wrongs he happens to encounter in the course of his wanderings. Echo Burning is vintage Lee Child, a smartly paced, intricately plotted, and masterfully characterized thriller starring Reacher, the ex-military cop who's so concerned about commitment to anything--a woman, possessions, a permanent address--that he only owns the clothes on his back. But he's the kind of justice-seeking guy you'd want on your side, especially if you were an abused wife trapped in a marriage you can't get out of until, and unless, somebody bumps off your old man.

Reacher's sympathetic, but he's not crazy. Nonetheless, he allows himself to be drawn into beautiful Carmen Greer's orbit, which ought to teach a guy not to hitchhike. Agreeing to protect her from the husband who's about to be released from jail and, according to Carmen, who's about to pay her back for tipping off the authorities to the tax fraud that landed him in prison, Reacher moves into the bunkhouse of the Echo, Texas, ranch that's owned by the bigoted, bitter, but powerful Greer family, which despises Carmen because she's Mexican and tolerates her only because she's Sloop Greer's wife and the mother of his child. The expected bloodshed ensues, but it's Sloop, not Carmen, who ends up with a bullet in his head. Reacher's convinced that Carmen acted in self-defense, even after other evidence comes to light that suggests there's more--and less--to her unhappy tale than even her own lawyer believes. This is the best Jack Reacher yet, smart, stylish, and convincing. If it's your first encounter with Child's work, be sure to check out his backlist--Running Blind, Tripwire, etc. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:13 -0400)

Jack Reacher, the vagabond freelance lawman who never hesitates to stick his nose into private business, takes his lively act to Texas, embroiling himself in what starts as a messy domestic dispute before turning far more ominous. The rugged former army cop comes to the aid of Carmen Greer, who picks him up on the side of the road one morning outside Lubbock, then asks him to kill her abusive husband. Sloop Greer is getting out of prison in a few days, and Carmen fears he will start beating her again. Reacher declines, but agrees to protect Carmen, hiring on as a cowhand at the couple's remote ranch in Echo County, Tex., far outside Pecos. Within hours of Sloop's return from prison, where he was serving time for tax evasion, violence strikes. But the victim isn't Carmen; it's Sloop. He's found shot dead, and Carmen is arrested. End of story? Hardly. Most wandering heroes would move on at this point, but not Reacher. He begins taking a hard look at both Carmen and Sloop's past, as well as local history. What he finds ugly secrets, human suffering, political evil is repulsive to a man who's been around as many blocks as Reacher. -- from Publishers weekly.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,986,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible