Killing Floor by Lee Child

Killing Floor (1997)

by Lee Child

Series: Jack Reacher (1)

Rain Fall by Barry Eisler (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: If you like how Reacher gets things done without worrying about niceties such as legality, you'll probably like Eisler's series too - though Eisler is a bit more descriptive and a bit less violent.
    Hit Man by Lawrence Block (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar main characters. Block's is a little less "gory" and is more like a series of vignettes than a plotted story.
    Promise Me by Harlan Coben (fleagirl)
    fleagirl: Big tough-guy with heart of tarnished gold, has knack for getting himself into trouble while getting others out.

English (140)  Dutch (2)  All languages (142)
Pretty good story, but many phrases are used too many times. "Shrugged" is a major one. I kept rolling my eyes because it was used so frequently. Hopefully in subsequent books Mr. Child will refrain from this practice. ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I read this as a paperback & it didn't wow me. I hadn't planned on reading any more in this series, but several of my friends really like the series, so I thought I'd give it another shot. Maybe I'd like it better as an audio book or now.

I didn't. Probably liked it less. Child's writing is repetitive. Often he seemed to be trying to make the point that much more exciting, but it just bored me. He writes like his readers are idiots & can't keep a point in mind for a few paragraphs. He also spends a lot of time describing the obvious & minutiae, but skips inconvenient details like Reacher's hygiene.

Reacher is too much in charge too often, & the constant build of him over other characters just got old. When he figured out how the counterfeiting was being done & told Finnley is one example. It's also an example of treating his readers like idiots. There were half a dozen obvious clues pointing to this revelation. I guess the women were impressed by his manly smell because he wandered around in the heat for days without a change of clothes or a shower & they still seemed to like him. There were a lot of other examples & they steadily eroded my appreciation of his character.

Child did the same thing with the shotguns making them into some sort of magical killing machines. A ten gauge shotgun is fearsome, but their killing cone is a direct ratio between their choke & load. Ask any decent goose or duck hunter, but I certainly wouldn't have feared for the women unless the guy was going to shoot directly at them.

Several plot holes were just too glaring, especially at the end. The amount of money paying off the town businesses, the supposed secrecy, & all was just too much. It's such a big secret that only business owners know after 5 years, but Reacher finds out after talking to a guy twice? He also said there must be $100K in the old guy's closet when a bit of math would put it at $250K or so. We need to believe Reacher has the estimates down in other places.

The mountain of money was silly. The bills weren't transported in by dump truck. They'd have been in boxes, should have been stored in boxes & then transferred into other boxes. To save time & effort, I would have ordered boxes just a hair bigger & not bothered unboxing the money at all since it was just being transferred.

What was the sudden rush to transport the money & why was the Coast Guard thing such a big shock? They were supposedly stockpiling money for just such an event, but leave it loose in a mountain that anyone who enters the building can see. So they figured it would be a few months away & have killed everyone off, but still haven't gotten it boxed up when their self-imposed deadline for shipping is one day away. They couldn't figure out any other way to transport it after the Coast Guard clamped down? After an entire year? Everyone is so shocked they were so brilliant in the scheme, but they couldn't plant money inside equipment or something? Please.

Reacher's surprise at the circus at the end was way overdone. I expected Child to & believe the story would have been much better served by killing Roscoe off at the end.

There were some good points in the book. Some of the scenes were well done & the story was a good one overall. I liked the way the odd, main coincidence was worked in. I have the 2d audio book in this series. I think I'll try to listen to it. I've heard the series gets better. It has to. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
My first Jack Reacher read - loved it and it put me on a mission to read them all ( )
  gerhardw | Jul 9, 2014 |
The Killing Floor is a compelling, fast-paced mystery with a tough-as-nails hero and heart-pounding action. Some parts are unbelievable, especially since the book is a bit dated, but it still hangs together pretty well. I loved watching Reacher kicking ass and taking names. Overall, this is a great addition to the thriller genre. I look forward to reading more from Lee Child. ( )
  les121 | Jun 1, 2014 |
Read a third of the way in. Not bad, but really not my thing. ( )
  lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |

Lee Childprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was arrested in Eno's Diner.

Jack Reacher loses his brother in this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515141429, Mass Market Paperback)

When Jack Reacher suddenly decides to ask a Greyhound bus driver to let him off near the town of Margrave, Georgia, he thinks it's because his brother once mentioned that the famed blues guitarist Blind Blake died there. But it doesn't take long for the footloose ex-military policeman to discover that there are plenty of strange--and very dangerous--things going on behind Margrave's manicured lawns and clean streets that demand his attention. This first thriller by a former television writer features some of the best-written scenes of action in recent memory, a crash course in currency and counterfeiting, and a hero who is just begging to be called on for an encore.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:01 -0400)

Jack Reacher, an ex-military policeman passes through the town of Margrave, Georgia and is accused of murder. He must find the true killer and prove his innocence--with virtually the whole town against him.

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,137,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible