Killing Floor by Lee Child

Killing Floor (1997)

by Lee Child

Series: Jack Reacher (1)

Recently added byBooksOn23rd, TonyR12345, private library, srkal, KristaAlyce, LacyLK, readbearded, Bookish.ae, dianeham
    Rain fall by Barry Eisler (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: If you like how Reacher gets things done without worrying about niceties such as legality, you'll probably like Eisler's series too - though Eisler is a bit more descriptive and a bit less violent.
    Hit Man by Lawrence Block (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar main characters. Block's is a little less "gory" and is more like a series of vignettes than a plotted story.
    Promise Me by Harlan Coben (fleagirl)
    fleagirl: Big tough-guy with heart of tarnished gold, has knack for getting himself into trouble while getting others out.
    Japantown: A Thriller by Barry Lancet (OneOfDem)

English (159)  Dutch (2)  All languages (161)
THE KILLING FLOOR, by Lee Child, is the first mystery featuring Jack Reacher. Jack is a thirty-something loner and drifter who finds himself arrested in a sleepy town in Georgia for a murder he didn’t commit.
Jack soon provides an alibi, but something shocks him into helping the locals solve the murder. More bodies pile up and along the way Jack falls for a woman working at the police station. Soon the whole town seems to be involved in some kind of conspiracy.
There are lots of killings (some pretty grisly) and the action never stops. Jack knows how to kill quickly and efficiently, and uses his knowledge on more than one occasion.
Although I caught a couple of repetitions in the text (information said twice exactly the same way), overall this is a page-turner, and a good introduction to Jack Reacher. I will definitely read the next in the series.
THE KILLING FLOOR is great for people who like thriller-type mysteries.
~Stephanie ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Adrenalico, mai un attimo di noia. ( )
  Angela.Me | Nov 9, 2015 |
It started well; really well in fact. Within a couple of chapters I understood how a whole franchise could be built on this one book. After a while, though, it kind of lost my enthusiasm.

I don't know if it's that I've read a few other Reacher books, so I knew kind of what to expect, or if I just kept reading it it with a writer's eye. I kept thinking "if I wrote this, I'd make this or that or the other thing happen." Then, of course, I was disappointed both when they did and when they didn't happen.

All in all, a fun ride. I do like the Reacher series, but I always feel like there's some missed potential here. Reacher could be an iconic thriller character but he never quite gets there. ( )
  darushawehm | Oct 24, 2015 |
Read a third of the way in. Not bad, but really not my thing. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 18, 2015 |
No slippery, complex writing here. Not for Jack Reacher. Lee Child’s blunt language and short sentences make for a much parodied style. But it works as a perfect first person narrative, at the same time building Reacher’s character and a fictional world seen entirely from his perspective. There’s just enough military kid, military police back-story to make our hero’s loner status and ultra competence believable, even if his skills stop only just short of the superhuman. I’d almost given up on thrillers, but thoroughly enjoyed this tightly written and satisfying book. Seems my problem is the disappointing sugar rush/crash of psychological thrillers. So in future I’ll give the latest summer ‘must read’ a miss, and seek out the rest of the Jack Reacher series instead. ( )
  Bernadette877 | Sep 6, 2015 |

Lee Childprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was arrested in Eno's Diner.

Jack Reacher loses his brother in this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515141429, Mass Market Paperback)

When Jack Reacher suddenly decides to ask a Greyhound bus driver to let him off near the town of Margrave, Georgia, he thinks it's because his brother once mentioned that the famed blues guitarist Blind Blake died there. But it doesn't take long for the footloose ex-military policeman to discover that there are plenty of strange--and very dangerous--things going on behind Margrave's manicured lawns and clean streets that demand his attention. This first thriller by a former television writer features some of the best-written scenes of action in recent memory, a crash course in currency and counterfeiting, and a hero who is just begging to be called on for an encore.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:15 -0400)

Jack Reacher, an ex-military policeman passes through the town of Margrave, Georgia and is accused of murder. He must find the true killer and prove his innocence--with virtually the whole town against him.

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible