Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Killing Floor by Lee Child

Killing Floor (1997)

by Lee Child

Series: Jack Reacher (1)

A Clean Kill in Tokyo by Barry Eisler (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: If you like how Reacher gets things done without worrying about niceties such as legality, you'll probably like Eisler's series too - though Eisler is a bit more descriptive and a bit less violent.
    Hit Man by Lawrence Block (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar main characters. Block's is a little less "gory" and is more like a series of vignettes than a plotted story.
    Promise Me by Harlan Coben (fleagirl)
    fleagirl: Big tough-guy with heart of tarnished gold, has knack for getting himself into trouble while getting others out.
    Japantown: A Thriller (A Jim Brodie Thriller) by Barry Lancet (OneOfDem)

English (213)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (216)
Having seen both Jack Reacher films (which I must confess to having enjoyed), I thought it only right that I take a look at one of the books that started the whole Reacher empire. I found a cheap copy of 'Killing Floor' on Amazon, and read the whole thing in about a week.

At first, I was mightily impressed. The hard-boiled prose spoke to me in a voice similar to Dashiell Hammett's, and the in-depth knowledge the writer possesses of his field really came to the fore. I think I enjoyed this book right until Reacher and Hubble come out of prison - those first passages, when nobody seems sure what's going on or who can be trusted, really worked well.

The problems began around that time, starting with a rather ridiculous plot device. Reacher, for whom nothing and nobody really seems to matter, discovers that the man whose murder he has been arrested for - SPOILER ALERT - is his brother. Now, the action all takes place in some tiny town in middle America, and Reacher only chose to stop off here at random during his peregrinations around the country; add to that the fact that the two brothers had barely spoken in years, and you have a particularly odd contrivance to work as motivation for what follows.

And then, the hard-boiled writing starts to work against Lee Child. It's not sufficient to support a book of this length. My favourite sentence in the whole book (and pretty much the reason I'm giving this two stars) came when Reacher takes his date out to dinner in a restaurant at the airport, and describes the place (or the food - I forget) with this: "It was OK." Thanks for that, Reacher/Child. Whole sections of the book could have been skipped if this is the language we're going to be treated to.

I'm not sure if I'd want to read another Reacher book after this one. I was entertained, more or less, as I read, but not to the extent that I would want to accompany Reacher on another of his adventures. I get the feeling that this is the prototype, and anything that follows will be something of a rehash - which might be an unfair analysis, but since I haven't read everything of Penelope Fitzgerald's or EM Forster's, I might prefer to invest my time there. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | May 3, 2019 |
Lee Child took me on a roller coaster ride as I have never read any of the Jack Reacker books and I can't wait to read more! ( )
  HOTCHA | Mar 18, 2019 |
My first Jack Reacher book, and I'm not sure what to think, frankly. It's well-paced, interesting, with a good mix of action and character. However, it's almost too intense for me, which is not something I thought I'd ever say. The fear quotient is very high, at least for me; I found myself skipping pages because it was too suspenseful, in the same way that I change the channel on TV when the plot appears to be going sideways. Like the Val McDermid books, Child seems to be Too Much for this old lady, veering off the comfortable frisson into the frankly (and realistically) terrifying. I'll try another book or two, but it's a lot of blood and guts. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |
People kept on telling me about Lee Child and the Jack Reacher Novels, eventually I listened and I wish I did it sooner. I devoured this 500 page book in two days and I found it incredibly difficult to put down. There is violence, but not too graphic, there is romance, well in a manly kind of way. This is a book that most guys would read but there are plenty of women who love these books.
If you are looking for a book to take on holiday that will keep you engrossed on the beach and whilst traveling this would be a great choice. Be warned, once you start it you may not be able to put it down.

For the full review check out my blog: Engrossed in a Good Book ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Nov 24, 2018 |
An interesting book. Thrilling, twisting & turning untill finally all pieces fall together.

The first in the Jack Reacher series and I like it enough, to want to read more about him. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Nov 19, 2018 |

Child, Leeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merla, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My agent is Darley Anderson in London; my editors are David Highfill in New York and Marianne Velmans in London.
This book is dedicated to the three of them, in appreciation of all their efforts, which went way beyond the call of duty.
I was arrested in Eno's Diner.

Jack Reacher loses his brother in this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515141429, Mass Market Paperback)

When Jack Reacher suddenly decides to ask a Greyhound bus driver to let him off near the town of Margrave, Georgia, he thinks it's because his brother once mentioned that the famed blues guitarist Blind Blake died there. But it doesn't take long for the footloose ex-military policeman to discover that there are plenty of strange--and very dangerous--things going on behind Margrave's manicured lawns and clean streets that demand his attention. This first thriller by a former television writer features some of the best-written scenes of action in recent memory, a crash course in currency and counterfeiting, and a hero who is just begging to be called on for an encore.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:15 -0400)

Jack Reacher, an ex-military policeman passes through the town of Margrave, Georgia and is accused of murder. He must find the true killer and prove his innocence--with virtually the whole town against him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,489,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible