Killing Floor (1997)

by Lee Child

Series: Jack Reacher (1)

A discharged soldier is framed for a murder by the chief of police in a small town in Georgia where he has just arrived. When the soldier learns that the murdered man was his brother he breaks out of jail and carries out his own investigation.
    A Clean Kill in Tokyo by Barry Eisler (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: If you like how Reacher gets things done without worrying about niceties such as legality, you'll probably like Eisler's series too - though Eisler is a bit more descriptive and a bit less violent.
    Hit Man by Lawrence Block (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar main characters. Block's is a little less "gory" and is more like a series of vignettes than a plotted story.
    Promise Me by Harlan Coben (fleagirl)
    fleagirl: Big tough-guy with heart of tarnished gold, has knack for getting himself into trouble while getting others out.
    Japantown: A Thriller (A Jim Brodie Thriller) by Barry Lancet (OneOfDem)

English (233)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (237)
enjoyed it, great character development , definitely a series I will keep in my mix ( )
  ypellegrino | Oct 17, 2020 |
Killing Floor by Lee Child First Off: I loved this book.I noticed that the style of dialogue is almost the same as the actual dialogue of the main protagonist. Sparse and to the point. I like the lack of unnecessary detail that other authors use to pad their novels out. There is nothing spare here at all. Every word is relevant. Brilliant!The lack of emotion and empathy that Jack embodies is more of the less is less motif of this book. For a crime fiction novel it is about as good as I have read in a long time.I am halfway through the second book in this series and I am hoping that the series doesn't reduce down to a predictable formula like the Matthew Reilly Scarecrow series. Am I being optimistic here?The last good ones I read were the LA Quartet and that certainly never happened there. ( )
  Ken-Me-Old-Mate | Sep 24, 2020 |
These Jack Reacher novels are really just so good as they go along that my long-standing demand that endings are soooo important has fallen by the wayside. Most of the Reacher novels really don't have that great of an ending (to my mind). But the process and the characters are really very, very good. I certainly don't want to be Reacher, but I like his character and really enjoy spending the time with him! ( )
  tmph | Sep 13, 2020 |
I'm hooked. Why did I wait so long to start Jack Reacher? A bit of love, a lot of murder, a bunch of whodunnit.. well on to book 2!! ( )
  JamieM12 | Aug 23, 2020 |
Reads like action film, with an interior monologue from Jack Reacher so that we can follow his thinking. A good complex plot, with excellent, brief technical explanation of the criminal motivation. A nice introduction to Jack Reacher’s character, upbringing and personal drivers. ( )
  CarltonC | Aug 6, 2020 |

Child, Leeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, OliverIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gladwell, MalcolmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merla, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My agent is Darley Anderson in London; my editors are David Highfill in New York and Marianne Velmans in London.
This book is dedicated to the three of them, in appreciation of all their efforts, which went way beyond the call of duty.
I was arrested in Eno's Diner.
Evaluate. Long experience taught me to evaluate and assess. When the unexpected gets dumped on you, don’t waste time. Don’t figure out how or why it happened. Don’t recriminate. Don’t figure out whose fault it is. Don’t work out how to avoid the same mistake next time. All that you do later. If you survive. First of all you evaluate. Analyze the situation. Identify the downside. Assess the upside. Plan accordingly. Do all that and you give yourself a better chance of getting through to the other stuff later.

Jack Reacher loses his brother in this book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,570,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible