Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1) by Lee Child

Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1) (original 1997; edition 2010)

by Lee Child (Author)

Series: Jack Reacher (1)

A discharged soldier is framed for a murder by the chief of police in a small town in Georgia where he has just arrived. When the soldier learns that the murdered man was his brother he breaks out of jail and carries out his own investigation.
Member:leezeebee
Title:Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1)
Authors:Lee Child (Author)
Info:Bantam (2010), Edition: 01, 544 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction

Killing Floor by Lee Child (1997)

Recently added byMendoLibrary, trunksli, CindykS, ErikMorris, CliveUK, MrPikes, Teamwag, Arina40, private library, SSBranham
    A Clean Kill in Tokyo by Barry Eisler (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: If you like how Reacher gets things done without worrying about niceties such as legality, you'll probably like Eisler's series too - though Eisler is a bit more descriptive and a bit less violent.
    Hit Man by Lawrence Block (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar main characters. Block's is a little less "gory" and is more like a series of vignettes than a plotted story.
    Promise Me by Harlan Coben (fleagirl)
    fleagirl: Big tough-guy with heart of tarnished gold, has knack for getting himself into trouble while getting others out.
    Japantown: A Thriller (A Jim Brodie Thriller) by Barry Lancet (OneOfDem)

English (231)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (235)
These Jack Reacher novels are really just so good as they go along that my long-standing demand that endings are soooo important has fallen by the wayside. Most of the Reacher novels really don't have that great of an ending (to my mind). But the process and the characters are really very, very good. I certainly don't want to be Reacher, but I like his character and really enjoy spending the time with him! ( )
  tmph | Sep 13, 2020 |
I'm hooked. Why did I wait so long to start Jack Reacher? A bit of love, a lot of murder, a bunch of whodunnit.. well on to book 2!! ( )
  JamieM12 | Aug 23, 2020 |
Reads like action film, with an interior monologue from Jack Reacher so that we can follow his thinking. A good complex plot, with excellent, brief technical explanation of the criminal motivation. A nice introduction to Jack Reacher’s character, upbringing and personal drivers. ( )
  CarltonC | Aug 6, 2020 |
4 Stars - This is Lee Child's first novel and the first Jack Reacher novel. I was very impressed. The story grabbed me from the beginning and held my interest until the end. For genre, ID call it both mystery and thriller. It has a feel much like a David Baldacci book. I liked it enough that i've put book 2 on hold at the library. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
I live in Bristol but my PhD supervisor works over in Oxford. So once a week I hop on a train and head over to see him, then hop on a different train to come back. Outside of railway stations I don't really recall seeing any advertisements for newly released books. Inside of railway stations I rarely see anything else. It's no secret why of course: railway passengers have a lot of time to pass just sitting there; books were in fact invented to keep people amused on trains. "Book" is actually Latin for "titillation while sitting in steamy iron chariot." Maybe. Anyway, one of the more common book advertisements I've noticed during my weekly sojourns are for Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels. The advertisements themselves didn't really impress me more than any other, what did catch my eye was that every few months there seemed to be a new novel in the series. This Stephen King-esque level of productivity piqued my interest not because it suggested the novels would be any good - quite the opposite in fact - but because if by some chance they were good then they would be a steady source of amusement. As the Harry Potter generation knows very well, it's a painful experience waiting for one's favourite author to release their next work. A man with some twenty novels out already and two more coming out each year is a good man to become a fan of.

The only flaw with all this is perhaps slightly predictable: I found the first Jack Reacher novel fine. It was not bad, perfectly okay, all right. I finished it in a day, clearly there was nothing wrong with it. But I'm now sitting here, writing this review, wondering if I have anything in for lunch. I'm not running down to the bookshop to make use of their 3-for-2 offer on all fiction books and my prodigious number of book vouchers to snap up the next nine stories in the Jack Reacher series. If I see the second book in the series in my local charity shop I'll no doubt snaffle it up, but Jack Reacher just didn't quite grab me hard enough in my special places.

I suppose that after reading about Umberto Eco's erudite inquisitor William of Baskerville, and Arthur Conan Doyle's doyen of deduction Sherlock Holmes, Jack Reacher was never going to win in a battle of wits. But then I wasn't expecting him to solve problems with cunning. The blurb on the inside cover refers to him as "part gorilla", and the peculiar little biography of him just before the story says he is 6'5" and about seventeen stone. I was expecting a Rambo-type figure, especially given the story starts with Reacher wandering into a small Southern town and being arrested because something bad has happened and he's a hobo passing through town. Maybe even a Jack Bauer kind of guy, shady military background, trained to kill people in twelve different ways just using a spork, and so on. Except Jack Bauer for the most part didn't have to do a whole lot of figuring stuff out, CTU was always there to act as a sort of proxy brain. Reacher has no CTU but has to unravel a fairly complicated criminal plot. So he weaves between ignoring glaring clues for the sake of the plot and pulling ridiculous Holmesian deductions out of his bottom presumably so we don't think he's just a mindless grunt.

Overall it's a nippy if clichéd thriller and not the worst such book I've read by a long way. Maybe the books get better and Reacher develops into a character that would have me clamouring for more. But he's not there just yet. ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |

Child, Leeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barrett, OliverIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gladwell, MalcolmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merla, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My agent is Darley Anderson in London; my editors are David Highfill in New York and Marianne Velmans in London.
This book is dedicated to the three of them, in appreciation of all their efforts, which went way beyond the call of duty.
I was arrested in Eno's Diner.
Evaluate. Long experience taught me to evaluate and assess. When the unexpected gets dumped on you, don’t waste time. Don’t figure out how or why it happened. Don’t recriminate. Don’t figure out whose fault it is. Don’t work out how to avoid the same mistake next time. All that you do later. If you survive. First of all you evaluate. Analyze the situation. Identify the downside. Assess the upside. Plan accordingly. Do all that and you give yourself a better chance of getting through to the other stuff later.

Jack Reacher loses his brother in this book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,665,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible