Killing Floor by Lee Child

Killing Floor (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Lee Child

5,324191827 (3.82)260
Member:celfy
Title:Killing Floor
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Bantam (2010), Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Tags:Kindle

Killing Floor by Lee Child (1997)

Rain Fall by Barry Eisler (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: If you like how Reacher gets things done without worrying about niceties such as legality, you'll probably like Eisler's series too - though Eisler is a bit more descriptive and a bit less violent.
    Hit Man by Lawrence Block (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar main characters. Block's is a little less "gory" and is more like a series of vignettes than a plotted story.
    Promise Me by Harlan Coben (fleagirl)
    fleagirl: Big tough-guy with heart of tarnished gold, has knack for getting himself into trouble while getting others out.
    Japantown: A Thriller (A Jim Brodie Novel) by Barry Lancet (OneOfDem)

English (189)  Dutch (2)  All (191)
This was my first experience of Lee Child and I listened to the whole book in a day and a bit.

The lead character, Jack Reacher, is a rootless wanderer who arrives in a remote American town to find himself accused of committing a violent murder just hours before. That he is a man capable of great violence, emerges as the story goes on but, as another author once said, about his own character, it's not mindless violence but "thoughtful" violence.

He saves another man's life - not philanthropically, but because it's necessary to avoid his own life being put at risk - and, partly as a result of this, he finds out there is something extremely dark and nasty going on in this town. He decides to stop it - again, not for anyone else' sake but because by this time he has discovered a very personal reason for getting involved.

There are some interesting subsidiary characters, and a few that felt a tad clichéd - are there really so many 'dumb cops' in backwoods America? I wonder, too, about all the gunfire, crashes, and other noisy events that happen with absolutely no notice being taken by anyone in the vicinity. And towards the end of the book something happened that struck me as *such* a Hollywood cliché - but then, thinking about when this was written, maybe it it was a new idea at the time? (It's a bit like saying Shakespeare is full of quotations!) These are minor niggles and didn't detract from the enjoyment of the story.

The reader, Dick Hill, gives great vocal characterisation and kept me listening. I was sorry to find that a different reader was chosen for the next few books in the series. ( )
  Kindleifier | Dec 23, 2016 |

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com by express permission of this reviewer
  Synopsis: Jack Reacher, ex-army, is now an avowed drifter. Boating down the river of life with no destination in mind, simply seeing what comes his way. He stops at a small Georgia town to escape a heavy rain and becomes embroiled in a small town's politics, several murders, a larger overall mystery and tangles with a real bad outfit.   My Thoughts: First off, this is brutal. It got my Ultra-violence tag, but it was not ultra-violence that I like. I like Violence in space, or with elves, or in a time before I was born, not in the here and now. In other words, I don't like real life violence. If you can't wrap your head around the differences, that is ok. It took me years to figure why I liked some kinds of violence and not others. Very much a psychological/mental difference. Prison rape that didn't happen, but was described what "could have" happened. A 4 man butcher squad that tortured and killed the families of anyone who found out about their activities, in pretty graphic detail.   At the same time, I really enjoyed the overall story/mystery/thriller. Jack is a smart man who simply doesn't want to be tied down to our current society's way of life. So he drifts and this time he simply drifted into the wrong place at the wrong time. It turns out that only he can take care of things once it is discovered his brother is involved. It is a very engaging story about a man doing what a man's gotta do.   There is a love interest, that is pretty strong, but you know how it is going to turn out right from the get go. Jack is no settlin' down man.  In the end, Justice AND Revenge are served, the badguys die and Jack drifts off to another town and another story.   Just like with Necroscope, I plan on reading more in this series, but provisionally on a book by book basis. One book I can't take, for whatever reason and I'm done.   Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars Author: Lee Child " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Yikes! Much more violent than I was ready for. This is the first time I've read a Lee Child book. I can see how folks that like military thrillers might like this. I did see the final twist coming early on (which is unusual for me). I'm glad to finally know who Jack Reacher is, though I'm not sure I will read more. Not a very good reader. Dick Hill read with a tremendous range of volume which I found irritating and painful at times. ( )
  njcur | Nov 8, 2016 |
Jack Reacher's series of mystery adventures was highly recommended to me. I purchased them as ebooks for my high school, but never got a chance to read them. A friend lent me the first and I have really enjoyed it and found it hard to put down. After being a military brat as a child and serving thirteen years in the military himself, Jack only wants to be free and just ramble. On impulse, he exits a bus at Margrave, GA, in a heavy rain. After walking fourteen miles he stops in a diner for breakfast and gets arrested for murder. He knows he hasn't killed anyone recently, but things in this little town are very complicated. ( )
  Gmomaj | Oct 20, 2016 |
This is my first Lee Child novel and I'll definitely read his books again. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |

Lee Childprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My agent is Darley Anderson in London; my editors are David Highfill in New York and Marianne Velmans in London.
This book is dedicated to the three of them, in appreciation of all their efforts, which went way beyond the call of duty.
I was arrested in Eno's Diner.

Jack Reacher loses his brother in this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515141429, Mass Market Paperback)

When Jack Reacher suddenly decides to ask a Greyhound bus driver to let him off near the town of Margrave, Georgia, he thinks it's because his brother once mentioned that the famed blues guitarist Blind Blake died there. But it doesn't take long for the footloose ex-military policeman to discover that there are plenty of strange--and very dangerous--things going on behind Margrave's manicured lawns and clean streets that demand his attention. This first thriller by a former television writer features some of the best-written scenes of action in recent memory, a crash course in currency and counterfeiting, and a hero who is just begging to be called on for an encore.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:15 -0400)

Jack Reacher, an ex-military policeman passes through the town of Margrave, Georgia and is accused of murder. He must find the true killer and prove his innocence--with virtually the whole town against him.

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,625,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible