Killing Floor by Lee Child

Killing Floor (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Lee Child

Member:celfy
Title:Killing Floor
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Bantam (2010), Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Kindle, Your library
Tags:Kindle

Killing Floor by Lee Child (1997)

Rain fall by Barry Eisler (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: If you like how Reacher gets things done without worrying about niceties such as legality, you'll probably like Eisler's series too - though Eisler is a bit more descriptive and a bit less violent.
    Hit Man by Lawrence Block (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar main characters. Block's is a little less "gory" and is more like a series of vignettes than a plotted story.
    Promise Me by Harlan Coben (fleagirl)
    fleagirl: Big tough-guy with heart of tarnished gold, has knack for getting himself into trouble while getting others out.
    Japantown: A Thriller (A Jim Brodie Novel) by Barry Lancet (OneOfDem)

English (177)  Dutch (2)  All languages (179)
Maybe I expected too much after hearing so many great things. However, being the first in the series, I will continue on with the next one. I loved the details of how Reacher figured things out and the pacing worked out good.The plot was also handled well. I want to like Reacher, but I'm not sure yet. I found I was rooting more for the story to work out than the "hero" to win in the end. The writing style took a while to get used to; a lot of short, halting sentences. However, I got accustomed to that pattern. All in all, it was a good book and kept me reading until the end, which is always a plus. ( )
  EJFin | Apr 6, 2016 |
Dick Hill
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
I'd seen the Reacher movie (it was ok, but not amazing), but was trapped in an airport with a book too close to the end for comfort. So I bought the first Jack Reacher novel. I'm impressed to be honest -- its well written, readable, and not trying to be Tom Clancy. Where Clancy would get lost in the blow by blow details of how military hardware works, this story is instead about how the main character feels and where their intuition is up to at that point. Sure, he explains that the shot gun pointed at his is dangerous, but doesn't get too lost in the detail.

I enjoyed this book, and its a well written mystery tale. I'll read more from this series I am sure.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/Lee_Child/Killing_Floor.html ( )
  mikal | Mar 16, 2016 |
PLOT OR PREMISE:
The plot is relatively confused to start. Jack Reacher is a drifter who gets picked up by the police in a small town as a suspected murderer. He knows he didn't do it, so he is fairly cooperative with the lead detective. But when it starts to appear that some of the other people don't particularly care if he did it, he is a little annoyed that their laziness is going to cost him a weekend in jail with someone else who confessed to the crime. Jack starts to draw on his past skills as an MP in the army to help out the investigation, and then it starts to get personal.
WHAT I LIKED:
From the word go, Jack Reacher is a solid character. He comes with a lot of history and no baggage, which I understand is how the rest of the series unfolds as well. The characters read a little more stream-lined than perhaps a Robert B. Parker novel, without as much soul-searching, and the action keeps going.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
There is a major "coincidence" in the novel, and I really hate novels that hang on coincidence as a major plot device to move the story along. Happenstance is one thing, such as Jack being in the town and subject to being suspected. But when it turns out that Jack knew one of the victims, in a town where he doesn't know anyone, and there's no reason for either of them to be there, it's a bit of a stretch.
BOTTOM-LINE:
Great intro to a series
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow him on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Mar 5, 2016 |
My son suggested that I should read this book. Loved the way the book started off but halfway through, the story lagged on. This wasn't a bad book. I'd recommend this book to anyone who gives a shit. ( )
  EzyReader | Mar 3, 2016 |

Lee Childprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was arrested in Eno's Diner.

Jack Reacher loses his brother in this book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515141429, Mass Market Paperback)

When Jack Reacher suddenly decides to ask a Greyhound bus driver to let him off near the town of Margrave, Georgia, he thinks it's because his brother once mentioned that the famed blues guitarist Blind Blake died there. But it doesn't take long for the footloose ex-military policeman to discover that there are plenty of strange--and very dangerous--things going on behind Margrave's manicured lawns and clean streets that demand his attention. This first thriller by a former television writer features some of the best-written scenes of action in recent memory, a crash course in currency and counterfeiting, and a hero who is just begging to be called on for an encore.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:15 -0400)

Jack Reacher, an ex-military policeman passes through the town of Margrave, Georgia and is accused of murder. He must find the true killer and prove his innocence--with virtually the whole town against him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible