Persuader by Lee Child

Persuader (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Lee Child

2,786None2,088 (3.88)52
Member:FGR444
Title:Persuader
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Bantam Press (2003), Paperback, 389 pages
Rating:***1/2

Persuader by Lee Child (2003)

action (31) adventure (26) audio (10) audiobook (10) child (10) crime (56) crime fiction (21) detective (12) ebook (51) fiction (189) Jack Reacher (131) Jack Reacher Series (14) Kindle (34) Lee Child (11) Maine (27) military (11) military police (12) mystery (151) Mystery/Thriller (12) novel (16) own (18) Reacher (44) read (43) series (39) signed (9) suspense (46) thriller (162) to-read (23) unread (16) USA (9)

English (38)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (42)
written in first person
  kpm1230 | Mar 28, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 26, 2014 |
Persuader is one of the many Lee Child novels featuring Jack Reacher, an ex-military police officer who now passes his time as a loner and vigilante. He doesn’t go looking for trouble, but it keeps finding him. (Actually one isn’t sure what he is looking for, but it’s a moot point since “bad luck and trouble” as one of Child’s other books is called, keeps following Reacher around.)

Like the other six or so Jack Reacher books I have read, this one features snappy, macho dialog, short sentences, at least one very attractive, competent woman, and a few surprising plot twists. In this book, the biggest surprise takes place in the first 30 pages, but the rest of the book holds one’s interest and is not anticlimactic.

Lee Child is very consistent in his portrayal of Jack Reacher: tough, very tough; completely uninterested in monetary rewards; and driven to see that evildoers get their comeuppance. This book may be significant in that for the first time Reacher encounters a bad guy who is bigger (a lot bigger) and tougher than he is. Don’t worry. Jack hasn’t gone soft. This bad guy, at nearly 7 feet tall and over 400 pounds, would be more than a match for Hulk Hogan in his prime. To find out how Jack handles this monster in hand to hand combat, you’ll have to read the book.

The book is pure escapism, well executed. As always, the bad guys are really bad, and the good guys will have to overcome some serious obstacles to prevail. As an added bonus, the author treats (if that’s the right word) the reader to a discussion of the comparative merits of a host of different assault weapons. Child keeps the action taut, usually ending most chapters with a brief sentence that makes you reluctant to put the book down.

Evaluation: I would rate this book as one of the best Reacher novels, with Child at the top of his game. This is the seventh book in the Jack Reacher series, but there is no need to read them in order.

(JAB) ( )
  nbmars | Jan 15, 2014 |
Did all kinds of chores around the house today, including taking an old toothbrush to the space between the tiles in my bathroom. I'm not very fond of housecleaning, but once in a while I get a fixation on a certain specific task and get it done as if it was an Olympic event. I also did lots of stuff around the kitchen which involved hours of pureeing foods and washing dishes. Anyhow, all that gave me ample time to finish listening to my latest serving of Lee Child, Persuader, which is the 7th book in the Jack Reacher series. I've come to expect lots of gripping, violent action and unputdownable thrills-a-minute from this series, along with more flirting an sex than any Sex and the City episode used to offer up, but somehow I found this one quite boring. Here, Reacher goes undercover within what is already an undercover 'off the books' government agency operation, presumably to rescue a female agent gone missing, but also to avenge the brutal murder of one of his former work colleagues (who happened to be a very attractive young woman and would-be lover) by killing a sadistic ex-military official gone rogue. Lots of gun descriptions, which were a yawn-fest for me, though obviously essential to the story since arms dealers played a large role, and somehow not all that much action, save for two major scenes which I guess made the price of admission worth the expense. I should make the effort to count how many times Child mentions 'he/she said nothing' in any one of his books. But I guess the music is in the space between the notes, or at least, that's what I remember reading somewhere. All the same, it took me just two days to finish this 14+ hour listen, and it did get me to do a lot more chores than I normally do in a six-month period, so it couldn't be all that bad, or at least, it won't keep me from moving on to the next book in the series, to which we get a free 20-minute preview presenting the next case in which a two star General is found dead from a massive heart attack with an empty condom still stuck to his appendage in a two-bit motel a few steps away from a sleazy girlie bar. Just right for when this old maid needs her next dose of testosterone-driven action.

My rating (2.75 stars) is based on my rating system in which three stars means 'enjoyed it (good)' and two stars mean 'it was just ok'. ( )
  Smiler69 | Oct 4, 2013 |
This first-person tale is a strong entry in the series. Child's Reacher books can always be counted on for hard-ass action, but this one shows a new hard-boiled artfulness to Child's approach, capturing the bittersweet tinge of tenderness that lies in the heart of every tough guy, and serving up some terse prose that, in a couple of action sequences, will make a fan of the genre laugh with delight.

Here's one: "I caught him with a wild left in the throat. It was a solid punch, and a lucky one. But not for him. It crushed his larynx. He went down on the floor again and suffocated. It was reasonably quick. About a minute and a half. There was nothing I could do for him. I'm not a doctor."

Reacher is at his best when his emotions are engaged. Particularly those emotions that require vengeance, and the dark thrill of taking out the baddest guys. The ones who can't be suffered to live. And that's what we get here. Reacher in full avenging mode. ( )
  EricKibler | Apr 6, 2013 |
FOR JANE

AND THE SHORE BIRDS
The cop climbed out of his car exactly four minutes before he got shot. He moved like he knew his fate in advance.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440241006, Mass Market Paperback)

Jack Reacher, the taciturn ex-MP whose adventures in Lee Child's six previous solidly plotted, expertly paced thrillers have won a devoted fan base, returns in this explosive tale of an undercover operation set up by the FBI to rescue an agent investigating Zachary Beck, a reclusive tycoon believed to be a kingpin in the drug trade. The novel begins with a bang as Reacher rescues Beck's son from a staged kidnapping in order to get close to his father--and trace the connection between Beck and Quinn, a former army intelligence officer who tried to sell blueprints of a secret weapon to Iraq but was murdered before he could pull it off. Or so Reacher thinks, until he spots Quinn in the crowd at a concert in Boston. As usual, Child ratchets up the tension and keeps the reader in suspense until the last page, although his enigmatic hero hardly ever seems to break a sweat. In the tough guy tradition, Reacher and his creator are overdue for a breakout, and this muscular, well-written mystery might be the one. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

Ex-military cop Jack Reacher gets caught in the middle of an off-the-books FBI drug investigation when he spots an old nemesis--believed to be dead for ten years--alive and well in Boston and his attempts to tap into his old resources for help brings the federal agents to his door.… (more)

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible