The Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtry

The Last Picture Show (original 1966; edition 1966)

by Larry McMurtry

Member:Jan7Smith
Title:The Last Picture Show
Authors:Larry McMurtry
Info:The Dial Press (1966), Edition: First Printing, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Favorites, Read

The Last Picture Show by Larry McMurtry (1966)

Recently added byaventinus, 73pctGeek, private library, SigmundFraud, sgillen, cindyst2000, csweder, katiekrug
    Empire Falls by Richard Russo (browner56)
    browner56: Although separated by half a century and half the country, Thalia, Texas and Empire Falls, Maine could be the same dreary and decaying small town.

A very interesting read. The characters are very complex--like real people, actually. It's not so much the events of the book that stick out to me, but how the characters treated each other. I ranged from hating certain characters, to feeling sorry for them, back to hating them.

I'm not sure that there is any lesson or theme to be learned from this book, but it does take you on a journey that is well worth it. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I really can't get into a book that doesn't pass the Bechdel test. I realize it's a product of its time, but I don't know how a book about a bunch of men, where women are relegated to jealous sex partners, has any relevance to my life whatsoever. None of the characters were particularly likable, except for the ones that get killed off. ( )
  lemontwist | Apr 10, 2014 |
I am always a sucker for coming-of-age stories, and this one did not disappoint. It was my first time reading McMurtry's fiction, and I really enjoyed it. The neat thing about this book is that I spent three years in the area that McMurtry writes about (Archer City, Texas, and its environs), so I could easily picture the setting. The characters who live in Thalia (the fictional Archer City) think of and refer to nearby Wichita Falls as a city, which I found highly amusing. Yes, technically it is a city, but hardly what materializes in the mind when one imagines a city. Recommended to fans of male-centric coming-of-age stories. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 5, 2014 |
I read this for one of my f2f book groups, at at first was not wowed at all. In fact, I complained to Jim that it was too episodic and repetitive. But I was quite pleased as the story went on. Mc Murtry does bring the threads together nicely at the end.

It's hard to imagine what it must be like to grow up in a small, small town like that, with few opportunities for privacy, growth, ambition or escape. Yet I know it exists all over, a foreign land right next to my own. ( )
  ffortsa | Jan 18, 2014 |
"The Last Picture Show" is lovingly dedicated to my home town.
Sometimes Sonny felt like he was the only human creature in the town.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684853868, Paperback)

In The Last Picture Show Larry McMurtry introduced characters who would show up again in later novels, Texasville and Duane's Depressed. This first volume of the trilogy drops the reader into the one-stoplight town of Thalia, Texas, where Duane Moore, his buddy Sonny, and his girlfriend Jacy are all stumbling along the rocky road to adulthood. Duane wants nothing more than to marry Jacy; Sonny wants what Duane has; and Jacy wants to get the hell out of Thalia any way she can. This is not a novel of big ideas or defining moments; over the course of a year Duane and Jacy make up and break up, Sonny begins an affair with his high-school football coach's wife, and the only movie house in town closes its doors forever. Yet it is out of these small-town experiences--a nude swimming party in Wichita, a failed sexual encounter during a senior trip, a botched elopement, an enlistment--that McMurtry builds his tale and reveals his characters' hearts. No epiphanies here, just a lot of hard-won experience that leaves none of his protagonists particularly wiser, though they're all a little sadder by the end. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:50 -0400)

The youth of a small town in mid-twentieth-century Texas search for ways to escape boredom and experience life and love.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible