Quiltmaking by Hand: Simple Stitches,…

Quiltmaking by Hand: Simple Stitches, Exquisite Quilts (edition 2004)

by Jinny Beyer

Info:Breckling Press (2004), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:quilt books
Tags:quilt books

Quiltmaking by Hand: Simple Stitches, Exquisite Quilts by Jinny Beyer

When knitting ceased to be my avocation and became my vocation, I decided quilting might help me to relax. A very knowledgeable friend (who is, in fact, a quilting professional) said that since I wanted to hand-piece, this was the one book I must have. I am so happy she recommended it.

My grandmother, who quilted all through the Great Depression out of necessity, used a needle, thread, pencil, scissors, ruler and a thimble. That's it. She was, and is, a sensible woman with a busy schedule. When I read three or four other quilt books before acquiring this one, their approaches - complicated, fussy, requiring heaps of specialized equipment and time-consuming marking and pinning - seemed somehow ridiculous. I couldn't imagine my grandmother, great-grandmother, or great-grandmother making quilts in that fashion.

Sure enough, Jinny Beyer tackles the nonsense (such as the practice of NOT including the seam allowances on hand-piecing templates) and puts the commonsense approach back in its place. She doesn't dumb the process down, however, and her suggested beginner's pieces are the only ones I've seen in print that seem worth tackling. So many other books insist a nine-patch is the only possible block for a beginner; if I'd listened to them instead of Jinny, I wouldn't have bothered to even try quilting.

The photography is gorgeous, and the directions are so clear that with no prior piecing experience (and only rudimentary sewing experience) I was able to cut out and piece a fairly perfect eight-point star after trying out a single Broken Dishes square for practice. And it's not because I'm some sort of sewing genius, because I'm emphatically not. It's because she's a smart woman and a born teacher.

If it sounds like I love this book, it's because I love this book.
  calotype | Oct 19, 2010 |
This is a very advanced level book on quilting by hand. A great deal of time is spent on drafting the pattern as a preparation to cutting out the pieces. Then piecing techniques are shown with many pictures. Oddly enough, some patterns are so intricate with many points, making the hand piecing easier. The last part of the book is concerned with finishing the quilt by hand stitching. Appendices show how to use color to enhance patterns in planning a quilt. ( )
  drj | May 13, 2009 |
The best quiltmaker in the world! ( )
  janelittlefield | Feb 28, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 097212182X, Paperback)

Celebrating today's surge of interest in hand crafts, this book introduces new quilters to a simple yet versatile set of techniques that allows them to create sensational quilts entirely by hand. A world-class designer and extraordinarily skilled quilter, Jinny Beyer demonstrates everything from threading a needle to piecing perfect points. Beginning with the basic running stitch, quilters quickly move on to joining two, then four patches, making stars and compasses, setting in pieces, and stitching curves. With each new skill, quilters are invited to begin the next section of a quilt designed especially for beginners - encouraging a "sew-as-you-learn" approach with each of the 10 quilting projects. The quilting stitch is simply and clearly explained, and detailed photographs illustrate how neat, even lines of stitching are achieved.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:46 -0400)

'Quiltmaking by Hand' showcases techniques for making quilts by hand. It offers over 300 color photographs of precise hand movements & covers every aspect of hand piecing & hand quilting - even drafting patterns.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,660,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible