Collected Poems by W. H. Auden

Collected Poems (1976)

by W. H. Auden

I haven't actually read all, or even most, of the poems in here, but this is the kind of thing I'll pick up every now and again over a period of years, before I get to read all of it. I like all of Auden's poetry that I've read so far -- particularly "Funeral Blues", aka "Stop all the clocks". ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Auden's "O Tell Me The Truth About Love" brings me to tears every time. I am in awe of his convincing, open-handed, emotional style. ( )
  wesh | Mar 5, 2011 |
Ah, what a poet!! ( )
1 vote lorsomething | May 1, 2010 |
Alexander McCall Smith`s many references to Auden reawakened me to the poetry of this genius. I treasure this old copy I found on E-Bay. ( )
  kerrlm | Jan 1, 2010 |
As the cover says "all the poems that W.H. Auden wished to preserve, in the texts that received his final approval." The anthology is in chronological order so you can see how his style evolved. This is a must for Auden fans, but would be quite a slog for people who only know a couple of his famous poems and want to dip in a little more. ( )
1 vote aulsmith | Jan 7, 2009 |

W. H. Audenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mendelson, EdwardEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stephen SpenderForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For CHRISTOPHER ISHERWOOD and CHESTER KALLMAN

Although you be, as I am, one of those
Who feel a Christian ought to write in prose
For poetry is magic: born in sin, you
Read it to exorcise the Gentile in you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679731970, Paperback)

Between 1927 and his death in 1973, W. H. Auden endowed poetry in the English language with a new face.  Or rather, with several faces, since his work ranged from the political to the religious, from the urbane to the pastoral, from the mandarin to the invigoratingly plain-spoken.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:49 -0400)

Between 1927 and his death in 1973, W. H. Auden endowed poetry in the English language with a new face. Or rather, with several faces, since his work ranged from the political to the religious, from the urbane to the pastoral, from the mandarin to the invigoratingly plain-spoken. This collection presents all the poems Auden wished to preserve, in the texts that received his final approval. It includes the full contents of his previous collected editions along with all the later volumes of his shorter poems. Together, these works display the astonishing range of Auden's voice and the breadth of his concerns, his deep knowledge of the traditions he inherited, and his ability to recast those traditions in modern times.… (more)

Legacy Library: W. H. Auden

W. H. Auden has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See W. H. Auden's legacy profile.

See W. H. Auden's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible