Collected Poems by W. H. Auden

Collected Poems (1976)

by W. H. Auden

Other authors: Edward Mendelson (Editor), Edward Mendelson (Editor)

Contains all the poems that W.H. Auden wished to preserve including three poems printed for the first time and four poems he previously rejected.

An incredible collection of poetry. Auden, from the start, demonstrates talent, skill, and acuity and varies the subject matter, content, style, and composition to ensure that one is never bored with what he presents to the reader. I was thrilled reading this. It particularly picks up at the 1/4th mark and delivers a relentless series of poems that truly make you stop and think, to consider, to observe, and to dream. What a great collection- worth reading for all lovers of poetry.

4.25 stars! ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 29, 2019 |
Review to follow. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
The novela The Death Factory was my introduction to Natchez Burning and it gave me a good overview of the principal characters and a lead into the storyline. It didn't quite prepare me for the scenes of lurid sex and sadistic violence, though, and, thankfully, those didn’t occur too frequently. Overall, this was a fast paced thriller, tying cold cases from the Civil Rights era together with present day family drama. One warning: there are more than enough loose plot threads left at the end to bait the hook for the next installment of this series. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
One of my favorite writers!! However, this book would have received 5 stars had it ended differently!! I'm hooked, I enjoy your books!! Don't end them on a cliffhanger ensuring I read the next installment!! I will regardless! ( )
  dksturdivant | Mar 17, 2016 |
This book was very well written with dynamic characters and an exciting plot. However, the subject matter got under my skin in a way that made me profoundly uncomfortable. You know how there are some things that you just can't "unsee"? Well, I can't unread this and I sort of wish that I could. Human nature can be profoundly ugly and dark and this shines a light on some of the absolute worst of it. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |

W. H. Audenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mendelson, EdwardEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mendelson, EdwardEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stephen SpenderForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For CHRISTOPHER ISHERWOOD and CHESTER KALLMAN

Although you be, as I am, one of those
Who feel a Christian ought to write in prose
For poetry is magic: born in sin, you
Read it to exorcise the Gentile in you.

Legacy Library: W. H. Auden

W. H. Auden has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See W. H. Auden's legacy profile.

See W. H. Auden's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,344,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible