Hornblower : Beat to Quarters by C. S.…

Hornblower : Beat to Quarters (1937)

by C. S. Forester

Recently added bynathanaelscott, eyelevelbooks, Hitch657, esyew2, MaxwellFamily, private library, dachda, Darrol
Legacy LibrariesErnest Hemingway

English (21)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (23)
Beat to Quarters was an interesting read, and I quite enjoyed it. It contains plenty of action and high-seas adventure and a cast of colorful and entertaining characters. There were a number of places where I wished I had a reference of nautical terminology (I am still uncertain as to the exact state of a ship that is hove-to, for instance), but this did not dramatically affect my enjoyment of the text.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the romance element between Horatio Hornblower and Lady Barbara. It seemed almost an afterthought in some respects, and it also seemed somewhat rushed. Plus, sailor or not, Hornblower is married. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in later installments of the series. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
הורנבלאואר מתאהב, אבל זה עובר לו ( )
  amoskovacs | Aug 31, 2017 |
Not enough can be said about these stories. Forester was a master. I can only imagine reading these books if I had been a teenager or young man in the 30s or 40s. Better yet I can imagine some sailor reading it during WWII while serving in the Pacific. The books are amazing and very well thought out adventure and daring do. ( )
  Joe73 | Apr 23, 2017 |
The first of the Hornblower books to be written and the sixth in the internal chronology, Hornblower is a markedly different fellow - Forester wisely changed him for the better in subsequent volumes. The pride, quick temper, and disloyalty - -both to his family and his subordinates - that Hornblower displays are all distasteful and unbecoming a heroic lead. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Quintessential Hornblower. This one's a movie, starring Gregory Peck, made in 1951: "Horatio Hornblower, RN." Unlike former books in the series, this one's a whole story, not a collection of stories. In this plot, the bad guy is a Panamanian named "El Supremo"--great sense of humor, that Forester. And, HH's ship blows up his nemesis ship and sinks him: the description is moving. Further, HH flubs a romance that will probably come back to bite him later. Our hero should have worked out some of his social foibles by his age, 37, in this book. But does not. Oh well, let's see what the next one brings? ( )
  buffalogr | Apr 29, 2016 |

Forester, C. S.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rodska, ChristianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was not long after dawn that Captain Hornblower came up on the quarterdeck of the Lydia.
Original (UK) title: The Happy Return.
USA edition title: Beat to Quarters.

June 1808, somewhere west of Nicaragua-a site suitable for spectacular sea battles. The Admiralty has ordered Captain Horatio Hornblower, now in command of the thirty-six-gun HMS Lydia, to form an alliance against the Spanish colonial government with an insane Spanish landowner; to find a water route across the Central American isthmus; and "to take, sink, burn or destroy" the fifty-gun Spanish ship of the line Natividad or face court-martial. A daunting enough set of orders-even if the happily married captain were not woefully distracted by the passenger he is obliged to take on in Panama: Lady Barbara Wellesley.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:01 -0400)

June, 1808 - and off the coast of Nicaragua Captain Horatio Hornblower has his hands full. Now, in command of HMS Lydia, a 36 gun frigate, Hornblower has instructions to form an alliance against the Spanish colonies with a mad and messianic revolutionary, El Supremo, and to find a water route across the Central American isthmus.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,114,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible