Hornblower and the Hotspur (Hornblower…

Hornblower and the "Hotspur" (Hornblower Series) (original 1962; edition 1998)

by C. S. Forester

Member:ElizaBennett
Title:Hornblower and the "Hotspur" (Hornblower Series)
Authors:C. S. Forester
Info:Back Bay Books (1998), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Hornblower and the Hotspur by C. S. Forester (Author) (1962)

English (17)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (20)
Thick, but it gives a psychological insight into our hero. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
שטות, אבל כתובה בחן ובמקצועיות ( )
  amoskovacs | Jun 11, 2016 |
Hornblower in his first captaincy. The plot deals with reconnaissance of the French at Brest and a delivery to Cadiz. In the beginning, he gets married...where did that come from? Read some reviews and found out that I did miss some action, despite being numerically in line--there were some intervening booklets. He spends over two years on this tour of duty--dealing with espionage, discipline, avarice, politics, bad weather, homesickness, and, once or twice, actual war. The characters seem true to form, including Lord Cornwallis as the admiral, as a historic character who was the brother of the dude who Washington whipped at Yorktown. I had out my maps of the French coast to try and follow the battle action, but couldn't locate all the spots mentioned around Brest. Add that to a very large dose of 18th century sailor talk and some parts of the read became confusing. Overall, a swashbuckler in line for the next adventure. ( )
  buffalogr | Dec 22, 2015 |
Chronologically, this is the fourth book in Hornblower series, telling the tale of Horatio Hornblower's command of the Sloop-of-war HMS Hotspur. He spends over two years on this tour of duty--dealing with espionage, politics, bad weather, homesickness, and, once or twice, actual war. ... That didn't sound too exciting, did it? Well, that was my writing. Mr. Forester made it all quite interesting. It was very easy to put my feet up and lose myself in Hornblower's world of 1803.

As I enjoyed the book, I occasionally mused over Star Trek. (I've read that Horatio Hornblower was part of the inspiration for Captain Kirk.) I think one reason I'd rather pick up this novel rather than one of the multitude of Trek novels out there is that Hotspur shows the challenges of not only fighting a war but the regular hardships of keeping a warship afloat and functioning. It's a depth of setting and character that you don't get in lesser works. Anyway, that's why Hornblower and the "Hotspur" goes on my shelf, and will undoubtedly be followed by the other books in the series.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Feb 15, 2015 |
Another amazing read. You are on the "Hotspur" whether it be routine worries, visiting Hornblower's new wife and mother-in-law, in a blockade of French ports, gripping the rails in the fury of a gale or clearing the decks for action. The pages fly by as you live the action but more importantly get inside Hornblower's head as you feel his anger, confusion, anxiety, forcefulness and basic humanity.

It is all there and you will love the read...the best Hornblower novel I've read so far. ( )
  Lynxear | Jun 28, 2014 |

Forester, C. S.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coster, NicolasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Repeat after me," said the parson. "I, Horatio, take thee, Maria Ellen --"

April 1803. The Peace of Amiens is breaking down. Napoleon is building ships and amassing an army just across the Channel. Horatio Hornblower-who, at age twenty-seven, has already distinguished himself as one of the most daring and resourceful officers in the Royal Navy-commands the three-masted Hotspur on a dangerous reconnaissance mission that evolves, as war breaks out, into a series of spectacular confrontations. All the while, the introspective young commander struggles to understand his new bride and mother-in-law, his officers and crew, and his own "accursed unhappy temperament"-matters that trouble him more, perhaps, than any of Bonaparte's cannonballs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:43 -0400)

April 1803, and the Peace of Amiens is failing as Horatio Hornblower takes a three-master on a vital reconnaissance mission. On the day of his marriage to Maria, Hornblower is ordered to take the Hotspur and head for Brest - war is coming and Napoleon will not catch His Majesty's navy with its britches round its ankles. With thoughts of his new life as a husband intruding on his duties, Hornblower must prove himself to be not only the most capable commander in the fleet, but also its most daring if he is to stop the French gaining the upper hand. Third of eleven books chronicling the adventures of C. S. Forester's inimitable nautical hero, Horatio Hornblower.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,628,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible