Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

Good in Bed (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Jennifer Weiner

Title:Good in Bed
Authors:Jennifer Weiner
Info:Washington Square Press (2002), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Unreviewed, Amazon
Tags:women, writing, genre: fiction, read 2006, fat protagonist

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner (2001)

Dietland by Sarai Walker (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Dietland is a more nuanced and complex novel about some similar topics -- and much, much less vapid.

English (112)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (116)
3 stars ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Somehow, when this book first came out, I never did read it. However, I have read and enjoyed many of Jennifer Weiner’s books. I jumped at the chance when NetGalley offered to provide me the book in exchange for an honest review. After reading it, all I can say is, that this book just did not cut it for me.

Cannie Shapiro is a plus size 16 who has battled the bulge all of her life. At 28, she works for the Philadelphia Examiner. When she picks up the current edition of another magazine and discovers that her ex-boyfriend Bruce has written a lengthy account of their relationship, “Loving a Larger Woman”, exposing some of her most personal details to the world, Cannie gets upset, trying to figure out how to handle this. Jennifer Weiner provides an interesting though somewhat long and convoluted story about just how Cannie does that. The reader follows Cannie through the aftermath of the article discovery, her confrontation with her ex, her attempts to “slim” down, and her unexpected discovery, after a one-night tryst with her ex in an interesting (to say the least) attempt to console him and make up after his father’s funeral, and how her life moves on to new, interesting directions.

The story moves along steadily, as Cannie moves along in life after her ex. However, I did find a few of the events that occurred in Cannie’s life to be a bit mind boggling and almost too much to believe, which is one main reason I think I found the book wanting. Yes, things happen in life, but the author threw in a bit too many, rather far-fetched events for my taste. I also never did grow to like or respect the main character Cannie. She came across as too self-centered and somewhat immature and non-accepting, always seeming to blame others, wanting things she had to know were really beyond her reach. She also became too obsessed with her ex, when he made it plain he never intended to get back with Cannie. Finally, there was Peter, who just happened to come along at the right moment. A bit too many “coincidences” for one story line, in my opinion. In addition, I am not sure about her relationship with Peter, her one-time doctor when Cannie was trying to lose weight. Not sure about the blending of personal and professional lines.

The book is okay, just not great. I think there are many other books by Jennifer Weiner that are far better and which I like more. However, this is an early book, so she obviously has matured as a writer. I read somewhere that a lot of the book was autobiographical, which I found interesting. It was good to see such a well done book about larger women, and to learn about some of the discrimination they experience. I think anyone who enjoys the author and who is looking for a book they may have missed years ago or who wants to reread the book might enjoy this one. ( )
  KMT01 | Sep 27, 2016 |
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: Four

"Good In Bed" by Jennifer Weiner

My Thoughts.....

A interesting read of what this plus size (16) girl [Cannie Shapiro] had gone through being called a fatty from childhood and even into her adult life. We find Cannie now at the age of 28 a 'pop culture reporter' for the Philadelphia Examiner and all seemed well until her ex boyfriend (Bruce) writes a byline...."Loving a Larger Woman." This definitely gives her quite a slap in the face. What will Cannie do and how she handled this situations was truly something to read about. I had so many mixed feeling for this heroine because of the way she felt about herself [self-esteem] as she would goes through a little bit of it all...'facing her past, mourning her losses, figuring out just who she is and who she can become.' This story will take the reader around in one huge circle presenting some very interesting situations and people...from Cannie's dad, her mom, her mom's lover and some interesting friends like Samantha, Maxi, Peter an let's not leave out her dog Nifkin to name a few. As Cannie plunged into misery how will she decide to make some changes in her life? For me this is really what I felt this story was all about. Be ready for a long story with lots and lots of drama and I will say there are some humorous parts that had me laughing out loud!

I loved this memorable passage....

"I will love myself, and my body, for what it can do-- because it is strong enough to lift, to walk, to ride a bicycle up a hill, to embrace the people that I love and hold them fully, and to nurture a new life. I will love myself because I am sturdy. Because I did not--will not--break."

Will Cannie get her HEA? ...Well, you will have to pick up this read to find out. ( )
  arlenadean | Sep 7, 2016 |
I love Jennifer Weiner's humor, and as a "larger woman" for most of my adult life, I can relate to much of what she said, and I'm so glad she said it. I didn't quite understand the obsession with the ex though (other than the whole idea of wanting what you can't have). And the parts with the endless walking (trying not to be a spoiler here!) got me a bit down (despite my understanding why). All in all, an enjoyable and meaningful read. ( )
  LeahDee | Jan 24, 2016 |
Love Cannie Shapiro! She is smart, witty, sassy, talented, and (ahem) PLUS SIZED! Jennifer Weiner hits a high note for women everywhere who love dessert, hate mirrors and loathe bathing suit shopping.

Cannie has a few unique issues, though. Her father abandoned her family when she was old enough to remember how it felt to be loved by him. Her mother is an out-of-the-closet lesbian living with her first partner, and her ex-boyfriend is writing about her in Weiner's version of Cosmo.

On the plus side (pun fully intended), she has a wonderful job at a top publication, a stalwart best friend, a new friend who happens to be Hollywood's biggest A-list star, and a so-ugly-it's-cute dog with a less-than-flattering slang name.

While some of this felt a bit contrived (I totally didn't buy the mom being a lesbian), most of it was quite wonderful. Her shock at the "big news" (no spoiler here!), her longing and second-guessing about breaking up with Bruce, her so-real comments at the weight loss meetings, and her all-encompassing rage at the end...all felt very palatable. Cannie was a real person to me, bringing tears to my eyes toward the end. That is the sign of a true reader buy-in, and I thank Jennifer Weiner for a great few hours on a Saturday afternoon!

This is the epitome of a by-the-beach-or-pool-chick-lit-ice-cream-sundae-read and I recommend. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leskinen, TerhiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Home is so sad. It stays as it was left,
Shaped to the comfort of the last to go
As if to win them back. Instead, bereft
Of anyone to please, it withers so,
Having no heart to put aside the theft
And turn again to what it started as,
A joyous shot at how things ought to be,
Long fallen wide. You can see how it was:
Look at the pictures and the cutlery.
The music in the piano stool. That vase.
--Philip Larkin
Love is nothing, nothing, nothing like they say
--Liz Phair
For my family
"Have you seen it?" asked Samantha.

For twenty-eight years, things have been tripping along nicely for Cannie Shapiro. Sure, her mother has come charging out of the closet, and her father has long since dropped out of her world. But she loves her friends, her rat terrier, Nifkin, and her job as pop culture reporter for The Philadelphia Examiner. She's even made a tenuous peace with her plus-size body.

But the day she opens up a national women's magazine and sees the words "Loving a Larger Woman" above her ex-boyfriend's byline, Cannie is plunged into misery...and the most amazing year of her life. From Philadelphia to Hollywood and back home again, she charts a new course for herself: mourning her losses, facing her past, and figuring out who she is and who she can become.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:31 -0400)

Humiliated to discover that her ex-boyfriend has been chronicling their sex life in a series of articles called "Loving a Larger Woman" in a popular women's magazine, journalist Cannie Shapiro embarks on an adventure-filled odyssey as she confronts her losses, makes peace with the past, and comes to terms with herself.… (more)

Jennifer Weiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,722,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible