Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

Good in Bed (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Jennifer Weiner

Title:Good in Bed
Authors:Jennifer Weiner
Info:Washington Square Press (2002), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Unreviewed, Amazon
Tags:women, writing, genre: fiction, read 2006, fat protagonist

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner (2001)

Dietland by Sarai Walker (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Dietland is a more nuanced and complex novel about some similar topics -- and much, much less vapid.

English (107)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (111)
I didn't dislike this book, but I really can't say I enjoyed it. Was not what I was expecting - more of a book about depression than anything else. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Nov 28, 2015 |
I finished [Good in Bed] today. It was a very quick poolside read for me (I started last night), but not a very satisfying one. It starts off well, very witty and quick-moving, but it doesn't really go anywhere. Even the critiques of chick lit and the weight loss/dieting industry feel only skin deep. I had been hoping that this was one of those books that appears to be chick lit but has a deeper message, but I didn't get the depth, or even the winks, that I'd hoped for.

I do think that Weiner is a talented writer; her syntax and diction are certainly a step up from the average popular chick lit. Are there other books of hers that have more depth? ( )
  sparemethecensor | Sep 6, 2015 |
A curious novel, this one. It starts off very sharply indeed, but Cannie isn't at this point the strongest of heroines - in fact she does get rather wimpy after a while. However it's perfectly realistic until about half way through when she suddenly ends up being a total success in Hollywood. What??!!! The Hollywood sections are actually very poorly written and it's cliche after cliche, sadly. At this point, the book was heading rapidly downhill to a 2 star rating, whereas before it had hovered somewhere between 3 and even 4 stars.

Honestly, it's as if Weiner left the building and someone else - possibly her cat? - was writing this section for her. I can't really think of any other explanation … However, fear not, as all is not lost - the end sections when Cannie returns from pesky Hollywood (hurrah!) are just great and the ending and the eventual love interest are very good indeed.

As a result, it gains a 3 star rating, but no higher due to that soggy middle. It needed a far more talented editor, but it's interesting work. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Jun 7, 2015 |
An awesome author and so funny! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Made the mistake of listening to the 'abridged' audio version. Couldn't understand why it felt like such an incomplete story until I realized it was less than half the original book. I'll review when I've actually read what the author wrote.

Oh my gosh!! This was like night and day! I really enjoyed this book, loved Cannie's character and her supporting cast. Lots of fun and unforgettable lines. Never, I repeat never try the abridged version! Not worth your time. ( )
  jkgrage | Nov 24, 2014 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leskinen, TerhiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Home is so sad. It stays as it was left,
Shaped to the comfort of the last to go
As if to win them back. Instead, bereft
Of anyone to please, it withers so,
Having no heart to put aside the theft
And turn again to what it started as,
A joyous shot at how things ought to be,
Long fallen wide. You can see how it was:
Look at the pictures and the cutlery.
The music in the piano stool. That vase.
--Philip Larkin
Love is nothing, nothing, nothing like they say
--Liz Phair
For my family
"Have you seen it?" asked Samantha.

For twenty-eight years, things have been tripping along nicely for Cannie Shapiro. Sure, her mother has come charging out of the closet, and her father has long since dropped out of her world. But she loves her friends, her rat terrier, Nifkin, and her job as pop culture reporter for The Philadelphia Examiner. She's even made a tenuous peace with her plus-size body.

But the day she opens up a national women's magazine and sees the words "Loving a Larger Woman" above her ex-boyfriend's byline, Cannie is plunged into misery...and the most amazing year of her life. From Philadelphia to Hollywood and back home again, she charts a new course for herself: mourning her losses, facing her past, and figuring out who she is and who she can become.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:31 -0400)

Humiliated to discover that her ex-boyfriend has been chronicling their sex life in a series of articles called "Loving a Larger Woman" in a popular women's magazine, journalist Cannie Shapiro embarks on an adventure-filled odyssey as she confronts her losses, makes peace with the past, and comes to terms with herself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,940,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible