Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

Good in Bed (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Jennifer Weiner

Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Good in Bed
Authors:Jennifer Weiner
Info:Washington Square Press (2002), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Unreviewed, Amazon
Rating:***
Tags:women, writing, genre: fiction, read 2006, fat protagonist

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner (2001)

Recently added byDobbyHasWings, kristi_test_05, MarieBueche, kristi_test_04, private library, staceyk731
    Dietland by Sarai Walker (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Dietland is a more nuanced and complex novel about some similar topics -- and much, much less vapid.

English (109)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (113)
I love Jennifer Weiner's humor, and as a "larger woman" for most of my adult life, I can relate to much of what she said, and I'm so glad she said it. I didn't quite understand the obsession with the ex though (other than the whole idea of wanting what you can't have). And the parts with the endless walking (trying not to be a spoiler here!) got me a bit down (despite my understanding why). All in all, an enjoyable and meaningful read. ( )
  LeahDee | Jan 24, 2016 |
Love Cannie Shapiro! She is smart, witty, sassy, talented, and (ahem) PLUS SIZED! Jennifer Weiner hits a high note for women everywhere who love dessert, hate mirrors and loathe bathing suit shopping.

Cannie has a few unique issues, though. Her father abandoned her family when she was old enough to remember how it felt to be loved by him. Her mother is an out-of-the-closet lesbian living with her first partner, and her ex-boyfriend is writing about her in Weiner's version of Cosmo.

On the plus side (pun fully intended), she has a wonderful job at a top publication, a stalwart best friend, a new friend who happens to be Hollywood's biggest A-list star, and a so-ugly-it's-cute dog with a less-than-flattering slang name.

While some of this felt a bit contrived (I totally didn't buy the mom being a lesbian), most of it was quite wonderful. Her shock at the "big news" (no spoiler here!), her longing and second-guessing about breaking up with Bruce, her so-real comments at the weight loss meetings, and her all-encompassing rage at the end...all felt very palatable. Cannie was a real person to me, bringing tears to my eyes toward the end. That is the sign of a true reader buy-in, and I thank Jennifer Weiner for a great few hours on a Saturday afternoon!

This is the epitome of a by-the-beach-or-pool-chick-lit-ice-cream-sundae-read and I recommend. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I didn't dislike this book, but I really can't say I enjoyed it. Was not what I was expecting - more of a book about depression than anything else. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Nov 28, 2015 |
I finished [Good in Bed] today. It was a very quick poolside read for me (I started last night), but not a very satisfying one. It starts off well, very witty and quick-moving, but it doesn't really go anywhere. Even the critiques of chick lit and the weight loss/dieting industry feel only skin deep. I had been hoping that this was one of those books that appears to be chick lit but has a deeper message, but I didn't get the depth, or even the winks, that I'd hoped for.

I do think that Weiner is a talented writer; her syntax and diction are certainly a step up from the average popular chick lit. Are there other books of hers that have more depth? ( )
  sparemethecensor | Sep 6, 2015 |
A curious novel, this one. It starts off very sharply indeed, but Cannie isn't at this point the strongest of heroines - in fact she does get rather wimpy after a while. However it's perfectly realistic until about half way through when she suddenly ends up being a total success in Hollywood. What??!!! The Hollywood sections are actually very poorly written and it's cliche after cliche, sadly. At this point, the book was heading rapidly downhill to a 2 star rating, whereas before it had hovered somewhere between 3 and even 4 stars.

Honestly, it's as if Weiner left the building and someone else - possibly her cat? - was writing this section for her. I can't really think of any other explanation … However, fear not, as all is not lost - the end sections when Cannie returns from pesky Hollywood (hurrah!) are just great and the ending and the eventual love interest are very good indeed.

As a result, it gains a 3 star rating, but no higher due to that soggy middle. It needed a far more talented editor, but it's interesting work. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Jun 7, 2015 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leskinen, TerhiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Home is so sad. It stays as it was left,
Shaped to the comfort of the last to go
As if to win them back. Instead, bereft
Of anyone to please, it withers so,
Having no heart to put aside the theft
And turn again to what it started as,
A joyous shot at how things ought to be,
Long fallen wide. You can see how it was:
Look at the pictures and the cutlery.
The music in the piano stool. That vase.
--Philip Larkin
Love is nothing, nothing, nothing like they say
--Liz Phair
For my family
"Have you seen it?" asked Samantha.

For twenty-eight years, things have been tripping along nicely for Cannie Shapiro. Sure, her mother has come charging out of the closet, and her father has long since dropped out of her world. But she loves her friends, her rat terrier, Nifkin, and her job as pop culture reporter for The Philadelphia Examiner. She's even made a tenuous peace with her plus-size body.

But the day she opens up a national women's magazine and sees the words "Loving a Larger Woman" above her ex-boyfriend's byline, Cannie is plunged into misery...and the most amazing year of her life. From Philadelphia to Hollywood and back home again, she charts a new course for herself: mourning her losses, facing her past, and figuring out who she is and who she can become.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:31 -0400)

Humiliated to discover that her ex-boyfriend has been chronicling their sex life in a series of articles called "Loving a Larger Woman" in a popular women's magazine, journalist Cannie Shapiro embarks on an adventure-filled odyssey as she confronts her losses, makes peace with the past, and comes to terms with herself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,922,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible