Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

Info:
Collections:Read undated, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:Fiction, R2001

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner (2001)

Dietland by Sarai Walker (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Dietland is a more nuanced and complex novel about some similar topics -- and much, much less vapid.

English (115)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  English (119)
I picked up Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner from Netgalley because it is been recommended to me as a modern classic. It was originally published in 2001. I was 39 years old in 2001. I wish it would have crossed my radar then instead of discovering it at age 54. While only 5' 2 1/2", I am considered a larger woman, a plus size woman, rubenesque, or according to health standards obese. That is how I had thought of myself and like Cannie, the main character in Good in Bed, that was the first and sometimes only attribute I saw in myself: fat.

Cannie, the heroine of Good in Bed, learns that her weight is not who she is or what she is. She learns through hard experiences and the love of her family and her friends. There is a huge wall she has to break down to believe in herself. The wall was built by her son of a bitch father who told her at age 12 she was fat and no one would ever love her. In the novel, as in life, karma does not always show up when it should so we do not get to see Cannie's father suffer as he made her suffer or ever acknowledge that he has caused any pain to her or her siblings. If karma was a character, the man would have lost everything he held dear, twice.

Cannie is single and dealing with an ex-boyfriend who wrote an article about loving the larger woman. It humiliates Cannie because although she is not named in the article, only referred to by her first initial, everyone who knows her or the ex know the article is about her. She reminds me a lot of me at that age, late twenties. Although I was already married by then, I still had no confidence in how I looked. My self worth was very much tied to how I perceived others saw me.

The book is excellent. The characters are fully formed, not two dimensional, even the side characters. The dialogue flows like a normal conversation. Cannie does not need a man or a diet to rescue her and make her complete. I wish I had discovered this book when I was younger. It really opened my eyes about how I still see myself. ( )
  nhalliwell | Nov 13, 2016 |
Jennifer Weiner said this was her favorite of the books she has written.

The best is that it is funny and well-written, notably the non-PC Bruce Good in Bed columns.

What isn't so great to read are the repeating obsessive thoughts and conversations about
good Old Bruce (ended up simply skipping those parts), as well the eating of those cruel foods - veal and foie gras -
and the foray into too perfect Hollywood endings with too good to be true Maxi. ( )
  m.belljackson | Nov 10, 2016 |
Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner begins with the main issue of body image. It gets sidetracked with a lot of other happenings like family changes, career changes, and personal changes. That initial focus on women dealing with body image get lost within a main character who sounds self-indulgent at times and a Hollywood plot that is a little too over the top. Perhaps, I over analyze, but this was not the book for me.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2016/10/good-in-bed.html.

Reviewed based on a publisher’s galley received through NetGalley. ( )
  njmom3 | Oct 23, 2016 |
3 stars ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Somehow, when this book first came out, I never did read it. However, I have read and enjoyed many of Jennifer Weiner’s books. I jumped at the chance when NetGalley offered to provide me the book in exchange for an honest review. After reading it, all I can say is, that this book just did not cut it for me.

Cannie Shapiro is a plus size 16 who has battled the bulge all of her life. At 28, she works for the Philadelphia Examiner. When she picks up the current edition of another magazine and discovers that her ex-boyfriend Bruce has written a lengthy account of their relationship, “Loving a Larger Woman”, exposing some of her most personal details to the world, Cannie gets upset, trying to figure out how to handle this. Jennifer Weiner provides an interesting though somewhat long and convoluted story about just how Cannie does that. The reader follows Cannie through the aftermath of the article discovery, her confrontation with her ex, her attempts to “slim” down, and her unexpected discovery, after a one-night tryst with her ex in an interesting (to say the least) attempt to console him and make up after his father’s funeral, and how her life moves on to new, interesting directions.

The story moves along steadily, as Cannie moves along in life after her ex. However, I did find a few of the events that occurred in Cannie’s life to be a bit mind boggling and almost too much to believe, which is one main reason I think I found the book wanting. Yes, things happen in life, but the author threw in a bit too many, rather far-fetched events for my taste. I also never did grow to like or respect the main character Cannie. She came across as too self-centered and somewhat immature and non-accepting, always seeming to blame others, wanting things she had to know were really beyond her reach. She also became too obsessed with her ex, when he made it plain he never intended to get back with Cannie. Finally, there was Peter, who just happened to come along at the right moment. A bit too many “coincidences” for one story line, in my opinion. In addition, I am not sure about her relationship with Peter, her one-time doctor when Cannie was trying to lose weight. Not sure about the blending of personal and professional lines.

The book is okay, just not great. I think there are many other books by Jennifer Weiner that are far better and which I like more. However, this is an early book, so she obviously has matured as a writer. I read somewhere that a lot of the book was autobiographical, which I found interesting. It was good to see such a well done book about larger women, and to learn about some of the discrimination they experience. I think anyone who enjoys the author and who is looking for a book they may have missed years ago or who wants to reread the book might enjoy this one. ( )
1 vote KMT01 | Sep 27, 2016 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leskinen, TerhiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Home is so sad. It stays as it was left,
Shaped to the comfort of the last to go
As if to win them back. Instead, bereft
Of anyone to please, it withers so,
Having no heart to put aside the theft
And turn again to what it started as,
A joyous shot at how things ought to be,
Long fallen wide. You can see how it was:
Look at the pictures and the cutlery.
The music in the piano stool. That vase.
--Philip Larkin
Love is nothing, nothing, nothing like they say
--Liz Phair
For my family
"Have you seen it?" asked Samantha.

For twenty-eight years, things have been tripping along nicely for Cannie Shapiro. Sure, her mother has come charging out of the closet, and her father has long since dropped out of her world. But she loves her friends, her rat terrier, Nifkin, and her job as pop culture reporter for The Philadelphia Examiner. She's even made a tenuous peace with her plus-size body.

But the day she opens up a national women's magazine and sees the words "Loving a Larger Woman" above her ex-boyfriend's byline, Cannie is plunged into misery...and the most amazing year of her life. From Philadelphia to Hollywood and back home again, she charts a new course for herself: mourning her losses, facing her past, and figuring out who she is and who she can become.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:31 -0400)

Humiliated to discover that her ex-boyfriend has been chronicling their sex life in a series of articles called "Loving a Larger Woman" in a popular women's magazine, journalist Cannie Shapiro embarks on an adventure-filled odyssey as she confronts her losses, makes peace with the past, and comes to terms with herself.… (more)

Jennifer Weiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,623,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible