Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

Info:
Collections:Read undated, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:Fiction, R2001

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner (2001)

Dietland by Sarai Walker (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Dietland is a more nuanced and complex novel about some similar topics -- and much, much less vapid.

English (117)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (121)

FGMAMTC Blog Review
Cannie has a great personality. I love reading the words that come out of her mouth, the witty come backs and the down-to-earth delivery. She's a real people person. She's full-figured but doesn't let it slow her down. On the outside she is confident and full of life, but she does feel the barbs of plus-sized life on the inside. I like her realness.
I adored this story. It made me laugh and tear up, and it touched me deeply. It covers so many issues like weight, marriage, pregnancy, depression, parent-child relationships, gay family members, break ups, jobs and just a little of everything in a woman's life these days. The feeling is often light and occasionally heavy. It's inspiring, entertaining and delivered with a special oomph that's missing from some books. Good in Bed is a must read.

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

Fangirl Moments and My Two Cents

Website / Facebook / Twitter / Google  / Pinterest / Goodreads / Tumblr / Bloglovin' / Instagram

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

FGMAMTC Blog Review

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

Fangirl Moments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I picked up Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner from Netgalley because it is been recommended to me as a modern classic. It was originally published in 2001. I was 39 years old in 2001. I wish it would have crossed my radar then instead of discovering it at age 54. While only 5' 2 1/2", I am considered a larger woman, a plus size woman, rubenesque, or according to health standards obese. That is how I had thought of myself and like Cannie, the main character in Good in Bed, that was the first and sometimes only attribute I saw in myself: fat.

Cannie, the heroine of Good in Bed, learns that her weight is not who she is or what she is. She learns through hard experiences and the love of her family and her friends. There is a huge wall she has to break down to believe in herself. The wall was built by her son of a bitch father who told her at age 12 she was fat and no one would ever love her. In the novel, as in life, karma does not always show up when it should so we do not get to see Cannie's father suffer as he made her suffer or ever acknowledge that he has caused any pain to her or her siblings. If karma was a character, the man would have lost everything he held dear, twice.

Cannie is single and dealing with an ex-boyfriend who wrote an article about loving the larger woman. It humiliates Cannie because although she is not named in the article, only referred to by her first initial, everyone who knows her or the ex know the article is about her. She reminds me a lot of me at that age, late twenties. Although I was already married by then, I still had no confidence in how I looked. My self worth was very much tied to how I perceived others saw me.

The book is excellent. The characters are fully formed, not two dimensional, even the side characters. The dialogue flows like a normal conversation. Cannie does not need a man or a diet to rescue her and make her complete. I wish I had discovered this book when I was younger. It really opened my eyes about how I still see myself. ( )
  nhalliwell | Nov 13, 2016 |
Jennifer Weiner said this was her favorite of the books she has written.

The best is that it is funny and well-written, notably the non-PC Bruce Good in Bed columns.

What isn't so great to read are the repeating obsessive thoughts and conversations about
good Old Bruce (ended up simply skipping those parts), as well the eating of those cruel foods - veal and foie gras -
and the foray into too perfect Hollywood endings with too good to be true Maxi. ( )
  m.belljackson | Nov 10, 2016 |
Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner begins with the main issue of body image. It gets sidetracked with a lot of other happenings like family changes, career changes, and personal changes. That initial focus on women dealing with body image get lost within a main character who sounds self-indulgent at times and a Hollywood plot that is a little too over the top. Perhaps, I over analyze, but this was not the book for me.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2016/10/good-in-bed.html.

Reviewed based on a publisher’s galley received through NetGalley. ( )
  njmom3 | Oct 23, 2016 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leskinen, TerhiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Home is so sad. It stays as it was left,
Shaped to the comfort of the last to go
As if to win them back. Instead, bereft
Of anyone to please, it withers so,
Having no heart to put aside the theft
And turn again to what it started as,
A joyous shot at how things ought to be,
Long fallen wide. You can see how it was:
Look at the pictures and the cutlery.
The music in the piano stool. That vase.
--Philip Larkin
Love is nothing, nothing, nothing like they say
--Liz Phair
For my family
"Have you seen it?" asked Samantha.

For twenty-eight years, things have been tripping along nicely for Cannie Shapiro. Sure, her mother has come charging out of the closet, and her father has long since dropped out of her world. But she loves her friends, her rat terrier, Nifkin, and her job as pop culture reporter for The Philadelphia Examiner. She's even made a tenuous peace with her plus-size body.

But the day she opens up a national women's magazine and sees the words "Loving a Larger Woman" above her ex-boyfriend's byline, Cannie is plunged into misery...and the most amazing year of her life. From Philadelphia to Hollywood and back home again, she charts a new course for herself: mourning her losses, facing her past, and figuring out who she is and who she can become.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:31 -0400)

Humiliated to discover that her ex-boyfriend has been chronicling their sex life in a series of articles called "Loving a Larger Woman" in a popular women's magazine, journalist Cannie Shapiro embarks on an adventure-filled odyssey as she confronts her losses, makes peace with the past, and comes to terms with herself.… (more)

Jennifer Weiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,187,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible