Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

Good in Bed (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Jennifer Weiner

4,670None1,021 (3.66)63
Member:melydia
Title:Good in Bed
Authors:Jennifer Weiner
Info:Washington Square Press (2002), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read and Released
Tags:chicklit

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner (2001)

(10) adult (18) Adult Fiction (10) American (11) body image (27) book club (14) chick lit (483) contemporary (13) contemporary fiction (14) fiction (441) humor (60) jennifer weiner (12) library (11) love (12) motherhood (12) novel (34) own (27) paperback (9) Philadelphia (35) pregnancy (31) read (85) relationships (47) romance (65) sex (11) to-read (70) unread (22) weight (21) weight issues (18) women (33) women's fiction (17)

English (102)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (106)
When I started the book I immediately realized -- ack -- I'd read it before! But I re-read it and enjoyed it even more the second time. Cannie is a wonderful, strong, engaging female character and I loved renewing the acquaintance. In fact, many of the characters are fantastic, different and strong and rarely a cliche in the bunch. Cannie's fight with self-image, rooted in an abandoning father and life as a Larger Woman, make her struggle for a joyful life that much more difficult.

Enough for now. An enjoyment. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 21, 2014 |
I didn't dislike this book, but I really can't say I enjoyed it. Was not what I was expecting - more of a book about depression than anything else. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Feb 14, 2014 |
I liked it, for the most part, though there's a long part in the second half where believability was stretched a little too far. But this is a first novel, for one thing. For another thing it's about a plus-size woman, a segment of the population too rarely represented. And I really like the voice. The voice made me stay with it.

Petrea Burchard
Camelot & Vine ( )
  PetreaBurchard | Feb 9, 2014 |
The title is a little misleading. Connies' exboyfriend Bruce writes an article for the "Moxie" magazine and that is the title of the column. (Good in Bed.) It just so happens the column is about her! She feels it's a public humiliation. Connie is super sensitive to criticism, especially related to her body, since she has been overweight since age 12. This all ties in with the adoring father that just up and leaves; her mother, who comes "out of the closet" after the divorce from dad and Connies expectations of her future (or lack thereof). Ok book- not the best. ( )
  camplakejewel | Oct 29, 2013 |
I did NOT read this book, and how it managed to get into my library I don't know. ( )
  ELEkstrom | Jun 6, 2013 |

Jennifer Weinerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leskinen, TerhiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Home is so sad. It stays as it was left,
Shaped to the comfort of the last to go
As if to win them back. Instead, bereft
Of anyone to please, it withers so,
Having no heart to put aside the theft
And turn again to what it started as,
A joyous shot at how things ought to be,
Long fallen wide. You can see how it was:
Look at the pictures and the cutlery.
The music in the piano stool. That vase.
--Philip Larkin
Love is nothing, nothing, nothing like they say
--Liz Phair
For my family
"Have you seen it?" asked Samantha.

For twenty-eight years, things have been tripping along nicely for Cannie Shapiro. Sure, her mother has come charging out of the closet, and her father has long since dropped out of her world. But she loves her friends, her rat terrier, Nifkin, and her job as pop culture reporter for The Philadelphia Examiner. She's even made a tenuous peace with her plus-size body.

But the day she opens up a national women's magazine and sees the words "Loving a Larger Woman" above her ex-boyfriend's byline, Cannie is plunged into misery...and the most amazing year of her life. From Philadelphia to Hollywood and back home again, she charts a new course for herself: mourning her losses, facing her past, and figuring out who she is and who she can become.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:48 -0400)

A contemporary Cinderella tale told with intelligence, wit and style.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,450,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible