Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories by…

A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories (1968)

by Joan Aiken

I loved this when I was a child, but more or less forgot about it until I came across it in my university library. Then I remembered the magic of it, and all the illustrations were familiar... I didn't remember all the stories, but the first and second in particular made an impression on me, and the one that basically included Baba Yaga. They're almost fairytales, and that's how I'll shelve them here.

Reading them now, I suppose they're smaller than imagination made them, and more saccharine. But there's fun, quirky moments, too, like hanging a girl and her dress out to dry on the line, and living in a bus... ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU. When I picked up my copy of this book from the library, I was initially very disappointed to find that it was a collection of short stories. Then I started the book. Mercy. It was fantastic. Literally and metaphorically. Wonderfully written fantasies. There is one story about a man who saves the North Wind, who then rewards the man with a gift of a necklace of raindrops. Another is the tale of an old woman who accidentally baked a bit of sky in her pie. Yet another tells of three men who work in a train station where no trains ever stop. Fantastic.

“You may think it odd that there were three men to look after one tiny station, but the people who ran the railway knew that if you left two men together in a lonely place they would quarrel, but if you left three men, two of them could always grumble to each other about the third, and then they would be quite happy.”
  debnance | Aug 10, 2010 |

Joan Aikenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pieńkowski, JanIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hawkes, KevinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeremy and Marianne
A man called Mr Jones and his wife lived near the sea.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044041850X, Paperback)

Here are eight gloriously imaginative stories for eight satisfying sessions of bedtime reading. There’s a flying apple pie, a cat that’s bigger than an elephant, a house that lays an egg, storybook animals that leap out of their books at night, and a wealth of other wonderful characters and ideas, all with the colorful, dreamlike quality of the very best fairy tales. Joan Aiken’s delicious prose is a joy to read aloud to very young listeners yet simple enough for the independent reader to savor on his or her own. Kevin Hawkes’s illustrations–nearly 60 of them–capture with great flair and fun the magical adventures and the triumph of the good over the bad.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:34 -0400)

'The cat sat on the mat. Lots of cats do that, everybody knows. And nothing strange comes of it. But once a cat sat on a mat and something strange did come of it'. In Joan Aiken's classic story collection, the strange often happens, and with fantastic consequences...Characters spring out of their books and chase around the room, cats grow bigger than elephants, and houses on legs lay eggs. Buses live on clouds, patchwork quilts become flying carpets, and pies float away when they have a corner of sky baked into them...The magical meets the everyday in these much-loved modern fairytales, now in a beautiful new edition with Jan Pienkowski's original silhouette illustrations.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,740,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible