No title (1978)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Pocket for Corduroy by Don Freeman (1978)

I have mixed emotions about this story. I like it because it was a childhood classic, however, there wasn't much to this story. What I mean by this is that Corduroy feels left out because he doesn't have any pockets and he goes to search for it and gets left in the laundromat and found the next day. That's it. I just don't feel like there is much depth to the story and I really wish that was apparent. I like the illustrations. They are very simplistic with bright colors with black accents. I like how it all is done with watercolor. The watercolor gives a certain softness that I think works really well with the story.

If there was a big message of this story, I would say that everyone wants to be included at some point. The story starts off by Lisa's mother saying, "be sure to take everything out of your pockets, Lisa dear. You don't want your precious things to get all wet and soapy," which then Corduroy responds, "Pockets? I don't have a pocket! I must go find something to make a pocket out of." All of this starts his journey because despite the fact that Lisa told him to stay in the chair, he got up because he wanted pockets like Lisa had. ( )
  LexaGoldbeck | May 4, 2015 |
The kids love this sweet tale of Corduroy. They love to sequence the story and then the kids sew on a pocket and decorate a button on their own corduroy bear.
  kamijake | Mar 11, 2015 |
This is a cute story from the seventies about a little girl whose bear gets excited about having a pocket and she loses him at the laundromat when he goes off in search of a pocket and a hairy artist dude finds him and washes his overalls and keeps him safe and the laundromat owner makes sure he gets back to the little girl again. The little girl and her mum are black and the artist guy is white and the laundromat owner is hispanic, but they don't make a big thing of it, which I expect was pretty forwardthinking for 1978 kids' books, but actually what I kept thinking was about how this is a normal book about a normal thing that could happen that shows kids in 1978 a city and a regular day they can recognize, and how much worse we are at treating people like people and life like life in our kids' books these days. Like sometimes it's good, like here, and sometimes it's kind of bad, like in Busy Day Busy People by Tibor Gergely, but I bet if you trace the rise of Reaganite neoliberalism, with its "no such thing as society," and the rise of books featuring cuddly anthropomorphic animals engaged in nonsensical but highly marketable adventures (this not meaning Corduroy. Corduroy is a stuffed bear and he could be any bear. He is not a Care Bear. He is not Spongebob.), it'd be a perfect inverse correlation. Also everyone is really hip and nice in this book. 1978 THE LAST GOOD YEAR ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Mar 11, 2015 |
This is the cutest book I have read so far! It features a multicultural neighborhood, and a young African American girl as the other main character. Corduroy is a teddy bear that goes in search for a pocket. He ends up getting separated and has adventures in the Laundromat that takes the reader down soap slides and into laundry baskets. The characters are very well developed, and the pace flows really steadily. I loved the illustrations. They were interactive and had so much to look at. At the end, the little girl made her bear a pocket of her own. It didn’t really make the reader think about anything, but the diverse setting normalizes multicultural environments naturally. ( )
  tburfe1 | Nov 11, 2014 |
This picture book is a spin off of my other edited book "Corduroy" however, in this book the little bear is searching for a pocket because he realizes he does not have one. Similar to the book by Freeman the bear is searching for something with great despair. In the end his owner, Lisa ends up making him a pocket square just like she sewed on a button in the first book. Freeman engages a younger audience with his light and cheery vocab and ability to use illustrations to show vibrant times and shadows to show more lonesome times.
  Jclark5 | Sep 21, 2014 |
To Takako Nishinoya, who knows how a bear feels about pockets
Late one summer afternoon Lisa and her mother took their laundry to the laundromat.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067056172X, Hardcover)

Don Freeman's classic character, Corduroy, is even more popular today then he was when he first came on the scene over thirty years ago. These favorite titles are ready for another generation of children to love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

A toy bear who wants a pocket for himself searches for one in a laundromat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,929,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible