I, Claudius by Robert Graves

I, Claudius (original 1934; edition 1969)

by Robert Graves

Series: Claudius (1)

Member:justjim
Title:I, Claudius
Authors:Robert Graves
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1969), Edition: New Impression, Paperback
Tags:Historical fiction

I, Claudius by Robert Graves (1934)

Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar (bertilak)
    Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz (sirparsifal)
    Homer's Daughter by Robert Graves (longway)
    Augustus: First Emperor of Rome by Adrian Goldsworthy (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: I, Claudius can be at times be a bit weird (maybe "overly romanticized" would be a better description). Goldsworthy's biography can be a good corrective, at least for the first half of I, Claudius (the portion dealing with the lifetime of Augustus), and definitely presents a different (and probably much more balanced) image of Livia, the long-time wife of Augustus.… (more)
    Julian by Gore Vidal (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: Both classical Roman subjects, and they share the style of an "autobiographical novel."
    The Egyptian by Mika Waltari (mcenroeucsb)
    Pride of Carthage: A Novel of Hannibal by David Anthony Durham (mcenroeucsb)
    Tiberius by Allan Massie (celtic)
    An Imperial Possession: Britain in the Roman Empire, 54 BC - AD 409 by David Mattingly (John_Vaughan)
    Empire by Steven Saylor (JGolomb)
    JGolomb: "I, Claudius" is the standard bearer for Imperial Roman fiction. It's more richly detailed and emotional than Saylor, but comparable it's broad historical scope.
    I, Claudius [Videorecording] by Herbert Wise (longway)

English (92)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (105)
A scholarly novel - wonderfully entertaining. ( )
  ebeach | Mar 15, 2015 |
I guess I didn't realize until now that I was into this sort of thing. I guess my infatuation with the romance of "non-Western" history kind of alienated me from Roman stuff. I'm really enjoying this book so far, though. Fuck, I manage to enthusiastically follow battle scenes, even. Considering the huge cast of characters, I think I'm keeping up pretty well and at a good pace. More on this later for sure. ( )
  tayitude | Mar 8, 2015 |
  tayitude | Mar 8, 2015 |
Considered an idiot because of his physical infirmities, Claudius survived the intrigues and poisonings of the reigns of Augustus, Tiberius, and the Mad Caligula to become emperor in 41 A.D. A masterpiece. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 27, 2015 |
I thought this book was very fun, indeed, the episodes of Rome falling into disgrace are charming. I hope to read Claudius the God in the near future. I am glad that this was on the modern library list. ( )
1 vote Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |

Graves, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mazía, FlorealTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
. . . A story that was the subject of every variety of misrepresentation, not only by those who then lived but likewise in succeeding times: so true is it that all transactions of pre-eminent importance are wrapt in doubt and obscurity; while some hold for certain facts the most precarious hearsays, others turn facts into falsehood; and both are exaggerated by posterity.

TACITUS
I, Tiberius Claudius Drusus Nero Germanicus This-that-and-the-other (for I shall not trouble you yet with all my titles) who was once, and not so long ago either, known to my friends and relatives and associates as "Claudius the Idiot", or "That Claudius", or "Claudius the Stammerer", or "Clau-Clau-Claudius" or at best as "Poor Uncle Claudius", am now about to write this strange history of my life; starting from my earliest childhood and continuing year by year until I reach the fateful point of change where, some eight years ago, at the age of fifty-one, I suddenly found myself caught in what I may call the "golden predicament" from which I have never since become disentangled.
You refuse to see that one can no more reintroduce republican government at this stage than one can reimpose primitive feelings of chastity on modern wives and husbands. It's like trying to turn the shadow back on a sundial: it can't be done.
Tiberius will make him his successor. No question of it. Why? Because Tiberius is like that. He has the same vanity as poor Augustus had: he can't bear the idea of a successor who will be more popular than himself. But at the same time he does all he can to make himself hated and feared. So, when he feels that his time's nearly up, he'll search for someone just a little worse than himself to succeed him. And he'll find Caligula.
Germanicus has told me about you. He says that you are loyal to three things—to your friends, to Rome, and to the truth. I would be very proud if Germanicus thought the same of me.
To recommend a monarchy on account of the prosperity it gives the provinces seems to me like recommending that a man should have liberty to treat his children as slaves, if at the same time he treats his slaves with reasonable consideration.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067972477X, Paperback)

Having never seen the famous 1970s television series based on Graves' historical novel of ancient Rome and being generally uneducated about matters both ancient and Roman, I wasn't prepared for such an engaging book. But it's a ripping good read, this fictional autobiography set in the Roman Empire's days of glory and decadence. As a history lesson, it's fabulous; as a novel it's also wonderful. Best is Claudius himself, the stutterer who let everyone think he was an idiot (to avoid getting poisoned) but who reveals himself in the narrative to be a wry and likable observer. His story continues in Claudius the God.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:00 -0400)

The emperor Claudius tells of his life during the reigns of Augustus, Tiberius, and Caligula and the events that led to his rise to power in a classic novel reconstructing ancient Rome.

Legacy Library: Robert Graves

Robert Graves has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Robert Graves's legacy profile.

See Robert Graves's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141188596, 0143566393

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,193,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible