Anno's Journey by Mitsumasa Anno

Anno's Journey (original 1977; edition 1997)

by Mitsumasa Anno

Member:destinymbruner
Title:Anno's Journey
Authors:Mitsumasa Anno
Info:Puffin (1997), Paperback, 48 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:art, wordless, counting, math, measurement, easy

Anno's Journey by Mitsumasa Anno (1977)

Oh, my! What a breathtaking book, wordless and filled with thousand upon thousand of small images in the context of a larger picture. While at times when an artist attempts this, it seems confusing, someone Mitsumassa Anno did a splendid job of it all. ( )
  Whisper1 | Aug 4, 2014 |
ages 1 -2
source pierce College
  people65 | Nov 11, 2013 |
As is the case with so many wordless books, this one calls for repeated "readings". I liked to study the details, try to imagine through where the rider was traveling. In particular I liked how some things repeated themselves through the book but in different form/shape: landscapes, groups of people, children. My 4 1/2 year old was pretty drawn into this book as well. We might seek out [a:Anno's|72077|Mitsumasa Anno|/assets/nophoto/nophoto-M-50x66-e07624dc012f2cce49c7d9aa6500c6c0.jpg] other "travel" books: [b:Spain|1076039|Anno's Spain|Mitsumasa Anno|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1309287701s/1076039.jpg|1062751], [b:Britain|596705|Anno's Britain|Mitsumasa Anno|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1333342054s/596705.jpg|1062753], [b:U.S.A|596698|Anno's U.S.A.|Mitsumasa Anno|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1176141703s/596698.jpg|1062761], [b:Italy|1401082|Anno's Italy|Mitsumasa Anno|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1312374264s/1401082.jpg|1391275] ... ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |
Celebrated Japanese picture-book author and artist Mitsumasa Anno, winner of the Hans Christian Andersen Award in 1984, began his series of wordless travelogues with this 1977 book - subsequent titles include Anno's Italy, Anno's Britain, and Anno's USA - which follows the horseback figure of the author, as he travels through northern Europe. From rural fields to crowded towns, country fairs to school races, Anno wends his way through the European landscape, taking the reader on a visual journey that weaves in classic works of art and storytelling, little visual jokes, and a running romantic theme.

I can't say, in all honesty, that I caught everything there was to catch with Anno's Journey, although I did enjoy searching for the author on each page, and recognized a clear homage to Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, and a reference to the tale of The Pied Piper of Hamlin. I imagine that the more time one spends with the book, the more it will yield. That is high praise indeed, making this a book that a certain type of young reader - the child who enjoys visual puzzles, or search-and-find books - will delight in poring over! I'm glad The Picture-Book Club to which I belong chose this as one of our January selections. The only other Anno I have read, to date, is the delightful Anno's Aesop, but after enjoying this one, I think I will need to seek out more! ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 10, 2013 |
This book shows how a town evolves over several years. Another wordless counting book with great illustrations. ( )
  destinymbruner | Jun 1, 2012 |

A wordless journey of a Japanese traveler through Europe.

Told through brilliant illustrations, a colorful, wordless book takes young readers on a wonderous tour of northern Europe, seeing its landscape, geography, and architecture along the way. Reprint. PW. AB. H. "

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:46 -0400)

Records in drawings the author's journey through northern Europe and his impressions of the land, the people at work and play, and their art, architecture, folklore, and fairy tales.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,719,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible