Arthur's Birthday by Marc Brown

Arthur's Birthday

by Marc Brown

I really enjoyed this book, especially as a kid. I had a similar birthday to one of my friends and we shared a birthday party once. I was afraid that because we shared a party, there wouldn’t be enough celebration for me and my friend. In this story, Muffy and Arthur schedule their birthday parties on the same day and since they have the same friends they were both competing for party guests. To make sure that their friends can go to both parties, Arthur plans a party for both of their birthdays. I could relate to this and I could see that double parties would actually be really fun. I also really like the pictures in this book. They really show the emotion of all of the characters throughout the book. Especially when Muffy walks into the surprise party. The reader can really see that she is surprised because of her facial expressions and how her braids stand up on the side of her head. The main idea of this story is to work together with your friends to find a solution that works for everyone. ( )
  tbarne9 | Mar 12, 2015 |
This was the other book I read to my class for the read aloud. I think it's a great book that shows children how you can compromise and to think a situation all the way through without reacting badly. Muffy and Arthur have their parties on the same day and Arthur thinks of a genius way to have all their friends together! ( )
  mariah21 | Apr 1, 2014 |
Another winner in the Arthur series - Marc Brown closes out the 1980s with this entry in the adventures of Arthur. Arthur is looking forward to his birthday; unfortunately, Muffy's birthday party is planned for the same day as Arthur's party. What happens? Read the book to find out.

Much like the artwork in the mid-1980s entry [b:Arthur's Teacher Trouble|1709849|Arthur's Teacher Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)|Marc Brown|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1344265314s/1709849.jpg|1707057], Marc Brown really hits his stride. His artwork is solid here, in spite of watercolor being a tricky medium. A trained artist like me is able to discern the obvious use of watercolors in the illustrations and it blends well with the storytelling.

I see some out there on Goodreads and on Amazon object to the presence of the "Spin the Bottle" game (similar complaints occur with the book [b:The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Birthday|728456|The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Birthday|Stan Berenstain|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1344369321s/728456.jpg|714657]) - that's a definite case of values dissonance; Marc Brown (and the Berenstains) came from a time before political correctness and youngsters under the effects of sexual harassment laws and sex offender registries. To be honest, I don't see it as a problem with this book.

Arthur's Birthday is one that all Arthur fans should check out. ( )
  maxwestart | Aug 13, 2013 |
As a huge fan of the television series, I was greatly disappointed at the lazy and sub-par writing of the books. The illustrations are very poorly done as well (especially if you have older editions of the books). Not good. just watch the show; it's on at seven on PBS every morning. ( )
  benuathanasia | Oct 14, 2012 |
When Arthur and Muffy decide to have their birthday party's on the same day...Arthur comes up with a perfect plan so that all their friends can attend both parties! This story will engage any reader who is excited for their birthday party. It also teaches kids ways they can be good friends towards eachother. Marc Brown's books are filled with color and excitement. This is a great series that I would recommend to young readers.
  Dportnoy | Feb 14, 2011 |

Their friends must decide which party to attend when Francine schedules her birthday party for the same day as Arthur s birthday party. Kindergarten-Grade 3

Arthur can't wait to hand out his birthday party invitations. But it turns out Muffy is having her party on the exact same day! All of his friends are split between the two parties so Arthur and Francine hatch a clever scheme to make sure Arthur and Muffy have the best birthdays yet!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:57 -0400)

Their friends must decide which party to attend when Muffy schedules her birthday party for the same day as Arthur's birthday party.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,864,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible