A Framework for Understanding Poverty by…

A Framework for Understanding Poverty (edition 2005)

by Ruby K. Payne

Member:barlow304
Title:A Framework for Understanding Poverty
Authors:Ruby K. Payne
Info:aha Process, Inc. (2005), Edition: 4, Paperback, 199 pages
Rating:**
Tags:education

A Framework for Understanding Poverty by Ruby K. Payne

A concise and helpful introduction to the variation in resources (economic, emotional, physical, mental, etc.), values (what is considered ultimately important), and hidden rules of generational poverty, middle-class, and wealthy. ( )
  lgaikwad | Oct 19, 2013 |
In this self-published but somewhat controversial book, Dr. Payne examines the hidden rules of poverty, the middle class, and the upper class. In addition, she explains how students in poverty are missing crucial links in their cognitive skill sets and how schools might address those missing links.
Dr. Payne’s work has been criticized for “deficit thinking” and for relying on stereo-typing in describing the plight of the poor. Yet much of what she says rings true in my experience. We tend to underestimate the resilience of our poor kids and we undervalue the strength of family ties in poor communities. On the other hand, when she describes the hidden rules of the middle class and the rich, she is clearly relying on stereotypes. This raises the question: at what point does her description and analysis of kids living in poverty also rely on stereotyping?
Some of the criticism of her work comes from academics who complain of a lack of rigor in this book, even though the book is meant for a general audience. That criticism is misguided. Nevertheless, the book does not incorporate the latest findings of cognitive psychology or neuroscience, and therefore is in need of updating ( )
  barlow304 | Jan 13, 2013 |
Very eye-opening. Recommended to teachers and anyone who deals with kids and families. ( )
  leighanne85 | Sep 1, 2011 |
I'm giving this book my highest rating, not because it is perfect, not because its theories are air-tight, but simply for the effect the book had on me as an educator. I've never had a book open my eyes the way this one does. So much misunderstanding between middle-class teachers and their students raised in poverty can be undone by this book. This book helped me understand why students make some choices they make - they are working off a different set of assumptions about what life has to offer them. I have always believed that people in similar circumstances will make similar choices, it is the rare individual who swims against the current. This book helped me understand the current that students swim in, which helped me tremendously when I taught at-risk students. ( )
  Mazidi | Jun 20, 2011 |
This book contains helpful charts and summaries to help with understanding the world of poverty along with the hidden rules of poverty, middle class, and wealth. It will give the reader a practical, real-world support and guidance to improve effectiveness in working with people from
all socioeconomic backgrounds.
  Emporia | May 4, 2010 |

A Framework for Understanding Poverty was Dr. Ruby Payne's first book, written for teachers with adaptations for work and community members. Its purpose is to educate people about the differences that separate economic classes and then teaching them strategies to bridge those gulfs. Ruby discusses at length the social cues or "hidden rules" that govern how we think and interact in society – and the significance of those rules in a classroom. Other topics include why students from generational poverty often fear being educated, discipline interventions that improve behavior, and the eight resources that make a difference to success.

More than 180,000 copies sold!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:14 -0400)

A Framework for Understanding Poverty was Dr. Ruby Payne's first book and the first book RFT Publishing Co. (now aha! Process, Inc.) published. It is fitting that the book and the company's history are intertwined. The central goal of the company is educating people about the differences that separate economic classes and then teaching them skills to bridge those gulfs. Framework is the method that delivers that message. Ruby's thesis for Framework is simple. Individuals accustomed to personal poverty think and act differently from people in the middle and upper economic classes. Most teachers today come from middle-class backgrounds. Economic class differences, in an educational setting, often make both teaching and learning challenging. Too often, teachers don't understand why a student from poverty is chronically acting out or is not grasping a concept even after repeated explanations. At the same time, the student doesn't understand what he/she is expected to produce and why. Ruby discusses at length the social cues or "hidden rules" that govern how we think and interact in society - and the significance of those rules in a classroom. Framework also illuminates differences between generational poverty and situational poverty. Ruby explains the "voices" that all of us use to project ourselves to the outside world and how poverty can affect those voices. Through the use of realistic teaching scenarios, Ruby focuses attention on sources of support, or resources, which might or might not be present in a student's life. Resources are important assets - things like mental stability, emotional support, and physical health - and the more resources students have in their lives, the better able they'll be to achieve their goals. Framework is a teacher's book. It draws on years of experience in multiple school systems, along with a wide range of academic positions. In this groundbreaking work Ruby Payne matter-of-factly presents the issues central to teaching students from poverty, then takes a pivotal next step by offering proven tools educators can use immediately to improve the quality of instruction in their classrooms.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,388,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible