Trials of Death by Darren Shan

This book is a very well-written book lots of twists and turns in the plot and it has a great ending very well done Darren Shan ( )
  ilovebooks1234 | Jan 10, 2014 |
Since I knew he wasn't going to die, the book wasn't very interesting until the very end, and even then -since I've read a lot more adult books with political intrigue- it was too amateurish.

Overall though I can't help but wonder if Cirque has reached the point of blasé overextension. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
A very neatly plotted continuation of Vampire Mountain. Just when I was tiring of the Indiana Jones-esque and rather cruel 'trials of initiation' that Darren must survive to save his life, Shan rescues the story with a surprising twist involving the Vampaneze. I would have liked more interaction from Mr Crepsley, but the tender scene between him and Darren before one of the trials went some way towards making up for his background role in this sequel. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Apr 3, 2011 |
It was GREAT!!!!
I absolutally loved it. READ IT, AASP. I love Arrow, he's so cool. Please read it, if you haven't already. ( )
  Shaani | Jul 14, 2010 |
Darren Shan's book came as a complete surprise to me. I have not read a vampire book since a condensed version of Dracula in the 1950s, although I did enjoy Buffy... and Charmed when they were on TV. Consequently, I did not know what to expect.

This version of Shan's writing included "Trials of Death" and "The Vampire Prince", (books 5 & 6) combined into one binding. "Trials of Death" in particular, reminded me somewhat of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire". These books are aimed at older children/young adults and as such I found them very entertaining, vastly different from my previous impressions of vampire stories. Putting these two books together was a good move as they can be read as one story. There are, as far as I know, 12 books in the series. I think Shan (who writes the stories with himself as the main character and in the first person) has a wonderful understanding of what young people like in a story. There is a lot of action, interaction, communication, and relationships. Putting the book down was very difficult, I kept coming back for more. I certainly recommend the series to young people who enjoy fantasy books. ( )
1 vote readerbynight | Jan 30, 2009 |
For: Nora & Davey - ever-gracious hosts.
OBEs (Order of the Bloody Entrails) to: The enormous, fearsome Emily Ford, and Kellee "take no prisoners" Nunley.
Mechanics of the Macabre: Biddy & Liam, Gillie & Zoe, Emma & Chris.
If people ever tell you vampires aren't real - don't believe them!

The trials: seventeen ways to die unless the luck of the vampire is with you. Darren Shan must pass five fearsome Trials to prove himself to the vampires clan - or face the stakes of the Hall of Death. But Vampire Mountain holds hidden threats. Sinister, potent forces are gathering in the darkness. In this nightmarish world of bloodshed and betrayal, death may be a blessing...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:40 -0400)

Darren begins the Trials of Initiation to prove himself worthy of being a half-vampire, even as the the clan's blood foes, the vampaneze, gather near Vampire Mountain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible