Making Faces by Kevyn Aucoin

Making Faces (1997)

by Kevyn Aucoin

This is a classic for learning how to contour and create other optical illusions. The cover looks boring and dated but the content is very much current and relevant. Many different techniques and overall effects are demonstrated, and not just on models--looks are shown on both celebrity models and then again on ordinary people to show how it can be wearable. The celeb pictures are stunning; look for Drew Barrymore, Winona Ryder and many others. ( )
  twerkysandwich | Jul 10, 2014 |
On a multitide of recommnedations, I picked this up to try and learn how to do eye makeup properly. And learned that there is no normal, proper or right way, much to my relief. :) Very clear diagrams, lots of different looks, and some amazing transformations on well known (and unknown) faces. Loved the fact that he included a drag queen and a businessman, and his mom and sisters. :) I was a bit surprised to see a section on plastic surgery in a make up tips book, but he handled it neutrally and gave some good tips on how to choose a surgeon. Looking forward to trying out the looks from actresses from the 1930's to '50's. ( )
1 vote silentq | Mar 19, 2010 |
Amazing book on makeup artistry - when I'm bored, I pull it out and try his tricks. ( )
  marguerlucy | Jun 30, 2008 |
My bible to look good, specially in pictures as Kevyn shares his tips on shading makeup. ( )
  labelleaurore | Apr 17, 2008 |
This was probably more advanced than I was looking for, but it was interesting to look through and I did learn some things. (For example, I learned about shaping one's face with two tones of foundation. Fascinating.) ( )
  SelimaCat | Nov 24, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316286850, Paperback)

The faces that Kevyn Aucoin has made are stellar and luminous: Cher, Tina Turner, Vanessa Williams, and Julia Roberts are but a few of the stars in Aucoin's galaxy of clientele. More than making do, making up is the art of achieving your own special look, and Aucoin insists that there are no hard and fast rules--except for the obvious ones, such as "Don't put lipstick in your eye."

The first section offers, in his own words, Aucoin's favorite ideas, tricks, and techniques for enhancing, defining, and altering facial features with makeup. You'll learn how to care for your skin, what foundation to use with your skin type, and transformational magic for that central player in the drama of beauty: eyes. Through his gallery of noncelebrity before-and-afters, Aucoin shows clearly how to use his fundamentals to achieve dozens of different looks.

The gorgeous final chapter reads like a list of exotic characters in a play--the Vamp, the Siren, the Diva.... In fact, such celebrities as Isabella Rosselini, Demi Moore, and Nicole Kidman pose as these dramatic, splendidly made-up characters. These sumptuous photographs are accompanied by full-page illustrations listing the "ingredients" required to create these looks as well as simple directions for achieving them. The introduction by the author, at once amusing and endearing ("...trying to conceal the fact that I was a gay, effeminate, hyperactive, adopted child with a serious lisp in southern Louisiana would have been like trying to hide Dolly Parton in a string bikini!"), and Aucoin's commentary throughout, makes Making Faces a unique reference book--beautiful, informative, and personal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:36 -0400)

'Instruction and information to transformyourself and try a new persona.' -from inside front cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,286,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible