Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American…

Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer (edition 1997)

by Steven Millhauser

1,156None7,003 (3.64)40
Member:hemlokgang
Title:Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer
Authors:Steven Millhauser
Info:Vintage (1997), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, To read (inactive)
Rating:*****
Tags:Pulitzer, USA, Summer Sub Club

Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer by Steven Millhauser

Recently added byFAR2MANYBOOKS, private library, Geedge, saradiann, intortetor, testVSFS, auldtwa1, night_owl13
    Freeman Walker by David Allan Cates (Othemts)
    Othemts: These novels share in common a central figure who represents certain ideals of the American character as well unexpected turns toward magical realism late in the narrative.

English (36)  Spanish (3)  All languages (39)
How does a book about an entrepreneur in the 1890's win a pulitzer in 1997?

The 1890s,it was a time when ``on any streetcorner in America you might see some ordinary-looking citizen who was destined to invent a new kind of bottlecap or tin can, start a chain of five-cent stores, sell a faster and better elevator, or open a fabulous new department store....''

But Martin Dressler's dreams directly reflect the modern commercialism of the 1990s, with it's overabundance of chain stores, malls, fast-food chains, theme parks, resorts, etc. etc.

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
How does a book about an entrepreneur in the 1890's win a pulitzer in 1997?

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
This book started out promising, but was a waste. I kept waiting for a plot, but over two hundred pages and no plot and then it just stopped. Don't waste your time. ( )
  AutumnTurner | Dec 29, 2013 |
A little on the chilly side, smacking a bit of morality tale—I expect a little more subtlety out of Mr. Millhauser these days. But I enjoyed it, and especially liked the alt-old New York... you could put this on a short shelf with Winter's Tale and not be amiss, though this doesn't have all the magic of Helprin's book. ( )
  lisapeet | Oct 4, 2013 |
I don't know what to think of this book--it wasn't bad, or even flawed...but it wasn't great either. I loved the turn of the century period details. The amount of historic research that must have gone into this book is amazing. l also like the idea of a novel about a "dreamer" who pushes his success and efficiency to such fantastical limits (Dressler seeks to create cities within cities, combining museums, amusement parks, theaters, etc. within collossal, hotel-like structures that take up blocks of New York streets.) But there was something missing in this story that I can't quite put my finger on...I can't tell if it's a problem with the narrative or if it was done intentionally. The character of Martin Dressler is very unlikable and almost completely without emotion. He has no heart or soul--only his desire to succeed, to create the ultimate, transcendent building. His relationships with women play a big role in the novel, but they were totally baffling and rather unbelievable. I don't know. I didn't dislike it---it's a very entertaining, easy read, despite some rather long winded descriptions. But there's just something I'm not getting....did anyone else read this? Thoughts? ( )
  KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |

Steven Millhauserprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rutten, KathleenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sister, Carla
There once lived a man named Martin Dressler, a shopkeeper's son, who rose from modest beginnings to a height of dreamlike good fortune.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679781277, Paperback)

Martin Dressler is a turn-of-the-century New York City entrepreneur who begins in his father's cigar store but dreams of a bigger empire. That dream shapes into a series of large hotels. At first, Dressler's seems the archetypal American success story, but he does not quite grasp the future. The Manhattan of fabled skyline is about to take shape just over the horizon, but Dressler cannot see it. So the story becomes another kind of fable, as Dressler contemplates having "dreamed the wrong dream."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:38 -0400)

In Steven Millhauser's new novel set in turn-of-the-century New York City, we watch young entrepreneur Martin Dressler like many of his day make the ascent from hotel bellhop to builder of hotels. This mesmerizing novel brings us face to face with the ambiguity beneath the optimism of the American dream with a swiftness and intensity that are in themselves magnificently dreamlike.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible