Prufrock and Other Observations by T. S.…

Prufrock and Other Observations

by T. S. Eliot

192692,766 (4.08)23

This collection stands the test of time 100 years later

One hundred years after they appeared, these poems still resonate both in their diction and stance of social criticism. I return again and again to reread Eliot ( )
  dasam | Jun 21, 2018 |
I am not a fan of most poetry, but a friend of mine loves T.S. Eliot's poems, so I decided to give Eliot's works a try. I enjoyed some of the phrases and descriptions he used in this work of poetry, but it did not turn me into a T.S. Eliot fan. ( )
  fuzzi | May 1, 2015 |
I love Preludes and Prufrock, two of my all-time favorites. Others are not so impressive. Portrait of a Lady is beautiful in its language but otherwise bland. Rhapsody on a Windy Night is more or less a weaker, for me, version of Preludes.

Nothing in the collection touches the vividness and power of expression shown in Prufrock and Preludes, but those two poems alone make the book fairly good. ( )
  blanderson | Mar 4, 2014 |
Early poems by Eliot. The most significant of these being the much-anthologised title poem. Eliot was one of the most important poets writing in English in the twentieth century, and his younger self shows a power and a perception that are extraordinary. ( )
  Fledgist | May 25, 2012 |
I admit that T.S. Eliot confuses me and I have a difficult time understanding his poetry. Saying that, I do love the way he uses the words. Though I may not fully understand what he is saying, the image reception is pretty clear.

I love this passage from 'Rhapsody on a Windy Night':

Every street lamp that I pass
Beats like a fatalistic drum,
And through the spaces of the dark
Midnight shakes the memory
As a madman shakes a dead geranium.
  Banoo | Feb 2, 2009 |
To Jean Verdenal 1889-1915
Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0571207200, Paperback)

In this series, a contemporary poet advocates a poet of the past or present whom they have particularly admired. By their selection of verses and by the personal and critical reactions they express, the selectors offer intriguing insight into their own work.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

"Published in 1917, this is a collection of poetry written by T. S. Eliot during a time when there was massive transformation in culture, spanning from the end of the 19th century to the middle of the 20th century. In his works, he expresses the ways people learned to cope with the many changes in society" --Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,440,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible