New and Selected Poems: Volume One by Mary…

New and Selected Poems: Volume One (1992)

by Mary Oliver

Recently added byGlire, cwbooks, private library, kgrance, onenow, kbeihl, EliforOU2, peterpobre, HVSSLibrary

I liked these poems but didn't fall head over heels. Oliver is a bit too religious for my tastes, though her natural world is one I recognize and feel at home in. Her eye is keen, her voice assured. A couple of her verses will stay with me. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
If you like nature and poetry, you'll love Mary Oliver. She seems to be able to say what I just can't express. Balm for the soul.
  tmousecmouse | Jan 2, 2009 |
I will always tag this one "currently reading". It is by my bedside and the book I pick up to read a page or two for comfort, to provoke thought, or just to relax. Mary Oliver is one of my favorite poets. ( )
  poolays | Apr 26, 2008 |
Mary Oliver is a national treasure. Reading her poetry quickens the pulse widens your eyesight, extends your hearing & makes you more aware of the world that surrounds you. Her nature poetry stuns with the clarity of Keats & Frost :
from "Hummingbird Pauses at the Trumpet Vine"
...the hummingbird comes
like a small green angel, to soak
his dark tongue
in happiness--
Or "The Swan "
...something comes floating--a slim
and delicate

ship, filled
with white flowers--

Mary Oliver's "New & Collected Poems won the 1992 National Book award & also the Pulitzer prize for poetry. ( )
1 vote MarianV | Jul 26, 2007 |
For Molly Malone Cook
All afternoon it rained, then
such power came down from the clouds
on a yellow thread,
as authoritative as God is supposed to be.

When New and Selected Poems, Volume One was originally published in 1992, Mary Oliver was awarded the National Book Award. In the fourteen years since its initial appearance it has become one of the best-selling volumes of poetry in the country. This collection features thirty poems published only in this volume as well as selections from the poet's first eight books.

Mary Oliver's perceptive, brilliantly crafted poems about the natural landscape and the fundamental questions of life and death have won high praise from critics and readers alike. "Do you love this world?" she interrupts a poem about peonies to ask the reader. "Do you cherish your humble and silky life?" She makes us see the extraordinary in our everyday lives, how something as common as light can be "an invitation/to happiness,/and that happiness,/when it's done right,/is a kind of holiness,/palpable and redemptive." She illuminates how a near miss with an alligator can be the catalyst for seeing the world "as if for the second time/the way it really is." Oliver's passionate demonstrations of delight are powerful reminders of the bond between every individual, all living things, and the natural world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:22 -0400)

One of the astonishing aspects of [Oliver's] work is the consistency of tone over this long period. What changes is an increased focus on nature and an increased precision with language that has made her one of our very best poets. . . . These poems sustain us rather than divert us. Although few poets have fewer human beings in their poems than Mary Oliver, it is ironic that few poets also go so far to help us forward.… (more)

Beacon Press

Two editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 0807068772, 0807068780

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,210,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible