Just for You (Look-Look) by Mercer Mayer

Just for You (Look-Look) (1975)

by Mercer Mayer

The book that started the Little Critter series is endearing, and employs Mayer's comical and lovable illustrations. Little Critter wants to do something just for his mom, but somehow things never turn out how he planned. He wants to make her breakfast, but the eggs are too slippery. He wants to carry the groceries for her, but the bag breaks. Whether it is because he has limited self control (he eats the apple because he is too hungry), or limited coordination (he breaks the dishes he was going to put away because he can't balance them), his plans all fall short. There is one special thing, though, that Little Critter just knows he can do: give his mom a kiss. And he does it!

This series has always combined a child's perspective, cute and cartoony illustrations, a clever use of illustrations, and an understated humor for grown ups. These factors contribute to a book that is fun for children and adults. In this case, the little critter's faulty attempts to make his mom's life easier will be sympathetic and understandable to children, and hilarious to parents, who see that his efforts actually make his mom's life much harder. The pictures are more than cute; they amply illustrate the chaos that the text only alludes to, and present the various emotions Little Critter and his mom feel. This readable and enjoyable picture book shows that a series based on the Little Critter character was inevitable. ( )
  nmhale | Dec 2, 2013 |
Just For You is about Little Critter who tries to be a good helper but nothing goes right. He either breaks the dishes or there's a storm in the bathtub, etc.

I liked this book because I grew up reading them and they are cute books. I would use this in my classroom so show that making mistakes is okay.

The age group this would be appropriate for would be 3-7 year olds. The theme is that it is okay to make mistakes.
  awanalex | Nov 13, 2013 |
In this book little critter wanted to do something special for his mom for Mother's Day, but every time he tried it never worked out, until the end when he decided to just give his mom a hug! This book was enjoyable because it shows that the little things are what matters. This book would be appropriate for lower elementary grades.
  jcpenny0 | Nov 9, 2013 |
Mercer Mayer is one of my all-time favorite authors and I remember reading this story as child. I remember always trying to help out my mom with all of her house work and looking back I probably didn’t help too much. This story shows little critter trying to help his mother with things like carrying the groceries, washing the floor, mowing the lawn, listening to directions, and setting the table. But in each attempt to help, little critter messes up by spilling the groceries, getting soap all over the kitchen floor or just not being big enough. Now that I am older and I nanny or babysit a lot, I can relate to how the mother feels throughout the story. All the kids I watch love to help me out, but it always ends in broken dishes, boo-boos or a bigger mess. Nonetheless I appreciate everything they do because just like little critter they are doing their best to help. In the end we see the easiest and most profound thing we can do for those we love is simply love them. My favorite thing about this book series is searching for the cricket and spider on each page. The author/illustrator does a fantastic job in giving both characters emotion and positioning them on each page of the story. I remember racing my sister when I was little to see who could find them first. ( )
  Kbenis1 | Oct 4, 2013 |
In this book, the little critter is the main character. All he wants is to do something nice for his mom, but things keep getting in the way, like broken bags, tv, and bath time. In the end, he figures out something that will make his mom happy. He gives her a nice hug.
Books like this are very relatable to children. It is very likely that children do things like this all the time. In a school setting, reading this book could be the precursor to an activity where students could tell a story about how they try to do nice things for their parents, or how things sometimes go wrong. ( )
  rrossi1 | Sep 11, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 030711838X, Paperback)

This genuinely funny picture book is a classic -- one of the first that starred Mercer Mayer's popular Little Critter. In this title, young readers see Little Critter trying very hard to be a good helper. Unfortunately, something always seems to get in his way. When he tries to dry dishes for his mother, the dishes grow slippery. When he makes an effort not to splash water out of the tub, a storm comes up. On and on it goes, with Little Critter and his good intentions making readers laugh with him from start to finish.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:14 -0400)

A little creature tries and tries to do something special for his mother but something always seems to go wrong.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,277,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible