Just Grandma and Me (Little Critter)…

Just Grandma and Me (Little Critter) (Pictureback(R))

by Mercer Mayer

I really enjoyed reading Just Grandma and Me by Mercer Mayer for many reasons. This book is simple, yet very cute and fun to read. I love how excited the little boy is to be going to the beach with his grandma, and how enthusiastic he is to do things on his own. When he is not able to do something, his grandma eagerly helps him, and they have a very nice day. Although the day does not go as perfectly planned, the boy still has a positive attitude the entire time. When the boy says, “I bought hot dogs for Grandma and me, but they fell in the sand. So I washed them off”, the illustration on the next page shows him and his grandma happily eating the hot dogs anyways, which is funny and sweet. The illustrations in this book are very creative and have a lot of detail, making the reader pay attention to everything that is going on in each picture. The main idea of this story is for children to know that it is good to be able to do things on their own, but it is also okay to ask for help when they are having trouble. Children can be very stubborn and not want to ask for help when they cannot do something themselves, and it is important for them to know that no one is perfect, and everyone needs help sometimes. The bond between this boy and his grandma is very moving, as grandparents hold a very special place in a child’s heart. ( )
  kscott26 | Feb 15, 2016 |
Somehow I never minded reading these over and over again to my kids. I guess because LC is just a little naughty/ impulsive, but also lovable, w/good intentions. Something like Ramona Quimby, Clementine, and my kids. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
With this story I would do a writing activity where my students would have to write a time about where they went on a trip with someone else and their selves and write about what you did. My students will be open to this because all students always have stories to tell and want to share them, this way they are writing it down and getting writing practice in. ( )
  hollyegirard | Nov 29, 2014 |
This is a great book to help children understand that it is okay to get help from adults. A lot of children want to do everything on their own and they get upset when things to do not turn out the way that they should turn out. This book can help children to understand that getting help and exploring new things is just fine. As adults, we should not teach children to be scared to be independent. We should teach them to be independent but also responsible and smart. "Just Grandma and Me" can teach children that it is okay to be adventurous and try new things but to also be mindful of others that are around. ( )
  laurenbutcher | Feb 8, 2014 |
Little Critter and his grandmother spend the day at the beach in this funny-and-true picture book about Mercer Mayer's popular character. Little Critter is a good helper, even at the beach. When his grandmother's hot dog falls in the sand, he washes it off in the ocean. He promises to blow up the inflatable seahorse but needs a little help in the end. The joys and mishaps of a special summer day with Grandma are all brightened by Little Critter's sunny disposition.
  clwalker | Jun 13, 2012 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

A trip to the beach with Grandma provides lots of fun and surprises.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,868,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible