Just My Friend & Me by Mercer Mayer

Just My Friend & Me (1988)

by Mercer Mayer

The very popular Little Critter has a friend over to play and tries his best to be a good host. It's a long afternoon. After his friend damages Little Critter's bike by accident, leaves him in the tree house without a ladder, and doesn't help clean up his room, Little Critter decides that playing alone isn't always bad. Mercer Mayer's dry and gentle humor provides another funny-but-true picture-book treat.
  clwalker | Jun 13, 2012 |
In this little critter book, he has a friend over and is trying his best to be a good host. Even though through the pictures you can tell his friend is not playing very nice, like when he takes the ladder from the treehouse, and even breaks his toys, like his romote control car and bike, little critter is always trying to be nice. Ultimately he decides that it is fun to have a friend over but sometimes it is good to be alone. This book would be great in the classroom to demonstrate the difference between being a good friend or a bad friend in pk-1. ( )
  sbergin | Nov 28, 2011 |
Just My Friend and Me by Mercer Mayer is a book about the little critter has a friend that comes over to play. The little critter and his bear looking friend play different actives and games. The little critter shares everything with his friend. The little bear is better at the games and actives then the little critter. The little critter does not get mad or cry. He makes up excuses why he did not do better than his friend. At the end the little bear gets hurt and then goes home.

I read this book to my two little girls. I talked to them about sharing. I told them that they were friend as well as sister. My three year old hugs her sister and said I love you. My littlest one gave her a big kiss. I wish I had my camera for this moment.

You could use this book in the classroom, when you talk about sharing. It could also be used as a unit about friendship. You could use this book to talk about how everyone is different and we learn and grow at different times.
  Ligeria | Jan 24, 2011 |
Just My Friend and Me
By Mercer Mayer

Summary: The little boy is bored by himself, so he has a friend come over to play with him. They do many activities and play with many toys. However, his friend often upstages him, doesn't help clean, or breaks his toys. As a result, the boy is able to appreciate being alone sometimes.

Keywords: Friend, alone, play

Response: Mercer Mayer is great because of the subtleties. Such as the little mouse that is present in every illustration, but not mentioned. The book makes the point to the reader that alone time should be valued, without making it obvious. Also, by making the boy's friend a different animal, it is promoting multiracial friendships.
  estott | Jan 19, 2011 |
I have always loved the Little Critter books as a child and with this book it is great to read to younger students learning many of their life lessons at a young age. This story was very funny because Little Critter and a friend play many activites that all end up getting them into trouble and ounce the play time was gone Little Critter finally saw it was just fine playing alone. The characters in this book are great for young readers eventhough they are not real people it still helps to idenify with fun animals with learning new life lessons. The plot of this book also made a nice impact on the reader and helps sum up the life lesson. ( )
  LogannPennington | Sep 12, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307119475, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:34 -0400)

Though playing with a friend can be a great deal of fun, it's good to be alone sometimes too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible