Kingdom Hearts, Volume 2 by Shiro Amano

Kingdom Hearts, Volume 2

by Shiro Amano

202758,111 (3.47)4

Like the first one, this is cute, but doesn't add much to the game. I guess we already get a view of all major players in the game. Still, you do want a little more, not just a straight comic-book-isation (is there a proper word for that?). And the pace feels so ridiculously fast.

I do love the art, though. All the characters -- Disney and Squeenix -- we know and love, but manga style. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Summary: This book continues where volume one leaves off. Goofy, Donald, and Sora are still in search of Mickey and Sora's friend. They all travel to Arabah, and try to help Aladdin save Jasmine. In this volume the disney princesses hold the power to unlock the final world. Maleficent has learned that she needs the princesses to cause harm from the rest of the worlds.

Personal reaction: The second book was a little easier to read, still a little difficult if you put it down and try to start up again. After reading these to books makes me interested in learning and reading other books.

Classrom extensions: 1. I would have the students write about what it would take if they took a journey to safe a princess.
2. I would have students discuss what it would be like to rescue a princess or prince.
  ms150691 | Nov 20, 2011 |
Summary:

In the continuation of Kingdom Hearts, Vol. 1, Sora, Donald, and Goofy are still in search for Mickey and Sora's friends. Together they travel to Agrabah and have to help Aladdin save Jasmine through fighting Jafar. The Disney princesses have the power to unlock the final world. The villain, Maleficent has figured out that she needs the princesses to cause harm for the rest of the worlds.

Personal:

I love this series, and look forward to reading the second installment of them, Kingdom Hearts II. Reading these books has piqued my interest to play the games again.

Classroom:

1. There would be two parts to this assignment, for the girls, I would have them write about what it takes to be a princess, and what they would do if they were princesses. For the boys, I would have them write about their journey to save the princess and what happens once they did.
2. Drawing pictures opens up the students minds for the teacher. I would have them draw their interpretation of castles and both a king and a queen and brainstorm what they would do throughout the day if they were kings and queens.

2. I would have my students tell me by either pictures or story about what it would be like to rescue a princess. ( )
  KaleyHarper | Apr 17, 2011 |
Summary:
Sora is still looking for his friends with Donald and Goofy. Together they travel to Agrabah. And fight with Aladdin to save Agrabah and Princess Jasmine. Maleficent is trying to get the entire princess together and then she can use their hearts to unlock something. Next, their adventure takes them to Olympia with Hercules.
Personal Experience:
I had heard of these books, but never really read them. I do like these books.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I would have my class talk about the different Disney villains and draw a picture of their favorite villain.
  Soonergal021 | Apr 13, 2011 |
I read the first volume of this series and didn't much care for it, but this second book was already on its way so I thought I'd give it a chance. Reading it did clarify some of the reasons I don't like it.

1. The episodes are waaaay too short - each 'chapter' is only about six pages long. This makes for a very, VERY choppy narrative. Even if the only 'break' in the story is a chapter's splash page, it's quite disruptive.

2. The art styles of the different worlds really clash. Merlin the Magician (from Disney's Sword in the Stone, I presume) makes a brief appearance in the middle of one of the Final Fantasy world storylines, and it was weird because naturally he didn't look at all right. I mean, not only is he drawn differently from the Final Fantasy characters, he also doesn't look like the original 'anime-style' Sora or Donald or Goofy. So there are four competing illustration styles in the same cramped six pages. It's just weird.
Most of this book takes place in Aladdin's world of Agrabah, and again it is weird. The character doesn't really act like his movie counterpart...he's like a denser, slower version. But I guess he's not that important; near as I can tell the only point of having him in the story is so he can free the Genie, whose phenomenal cosmic powers are now available for Sora to summon if needed.
Hercules gets tossed in at the end.

3. I do realize this is a children's series, but that doesn't mean the characterizations have to be superficial. I mean, Avatar: The Last Airbender was a kid's series that did a great job bringing its characters to life. But Kingdom Hearts is so devoted to bringing in its cameos that development seems limited to "Hey look! Here's Hades! From Hercules! Remember him? Oh look! And here's that goat guy!"

4. This is based on a video game. One of the reasons I read manga based on video games is I'm interested in the idea/story, but I'm too darn lazy to devote the time necessary to unlocking the game's content. But in cases like this one, the story comes across as pretty weak. It makes me wonder, is it really so hard to translate across media formats? ( )
  makaiju | May 13, 2010 |
After being swept away from his island home and his friends Kairi and Riku, Sora finds himself lost in a mysterious new land.

Sora, Goofy, and Donald Duck continue their journey throughout the worlds fighting Maleficent's Heartless minions. They make new friends, develop new fighting techniques, and discover more clues about Maleficent's plan to conquer all the worlds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,633,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible