Millions of Cats (Gift Edition) (Picture…

Millions of Cats (Gift Edition) (Picture Puffin Books) (original 1928; edition 2006)

by Wanda Gag

Member:debnance
Title:Millions of Cats (Gift Edition) (Picture Puffin Books)
Authors:Wanda Gag
Info:Puffin (2006), Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:*****

Millions of Cats by Wanda Gág (1928)

Loved this as a child and as a parent. Thank you listopia for reminding me of it now that my little ones are big! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Summary
The very old woman was lonely and wanted a cat so the very old man set out to find her a cat. He came to a hill where there were millions of cats. He started looking for the prettiest cat and couldn’t choose just one so he took all of them home with him. The cats started fighting over which one was the prettiest. When the cats left they found one kitten hiding in the grass and decided that was the prettiest cat and took it home.

Personal Reaction
My niece loves cats. We joke she will be the very old woman in the story with millions of cats. She has been obsessed with cats since she was born. I love reading this story to her because she gets so excited when she sees all the cats in the field.

Extension Ideas
1.The students could draw a picture of their pet and share it with the class.
2.The students could rewrite the story with a different pet instead of cats then draw the pictures in black and white just like this book.
3.In the classroom we could share what we like about each other just like the very old man did in this story making it hard for him to decide which one was the prettiest.
  HaleyMcPherson | Apr 11, 2015 |
This is a great book, it made me laugh. I am not sure what the theme might be but it's an uplifting tale with lots of rhyming. I would definitely read this book to my kids.
  ulindsay | Mar 13, 2015 |
This is a book about an old man who tries to pick one cat for his elderly wife among millions. When he finds that he can't pick just one, he takes them all home. Fun book for kids to sequence.
  kamijake | Mar 11, 2015 |
"Once upon a time there was a very old man and a very old woman. They lived in a nice clean house which had flowers all around it, except where the door was."

This fable-like story, which won a Newbery Honor Award, reminds me of other stories in which a childless old man and woman wish for a baby-replacement (e.g. Urikohime of Japan). In this case the old couple decide to get themselves a cat. The old man sets out and finds a hill covered in cats. He falls in love with all of them, and takes them home. The cats start fighting each other (as adult cats tend to do -- even when they came from the same litter). The cats disappear.

"I think they must have eaten each other all up," said the very old woman.

Thus marks the difference between modern stories and stories published in 1929: the Moment Of Morbidity, as I shall call it. You just don't see that anymore. Maurice Sendak pointed it out when he complained that children's books aren't scary enough anymore.

But there is one kitten left - a scraggly one which was never picked in the first place. This scraggly cat becomes the beloved baby-replacement. The moral: Sometimes ugly ones win out in the end. Or something.

Also, get your cats fixed. This story made me ruminate over the state of neighbourhoods before there were reasonably priced vets to do the job. I suppose cats were drowned, or suffered blows to the head. I imagine there were a lot more instances of households overrun with cats too, before there was such a thing as community health and safety officers.
  LynleyS | Mar 4, 2015 |

Wanda Gágprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Persson, Lisa-ChristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was a very old man and a very old woman.
Cats here, cats there, cats and kittens everywhere, hundreds of cats, thousands of cats, millions and billions and trillions of cats.
It is the most beautiful cat in the whole world, said the very old man.
"Oh, I'm just a very homely little cat, " said the kitten, "So when you asked who was the prettiest, I didn't say anything. So nobody bothered me.
So it happened that every time the very old man looked up, he saw another cat which was so pretty he could not bear to leave it, and before he knew it, he had chosen them all.

In Millions of Cats, a husband and wife decide that they need a cat so that they can feel less lonely. The husband then searches for the prettiest cat of all. However, when he sees a hill full of cats, he can't decide which one to take home. The man then takes home all of the cats! When he arrives at home, the wife tells him that they can only have one cat, because they can't feed the "hundreds, thousands, millions and billions and trillions" of cats. The repetition of the this phrase will be sure to engage and entertain young children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142407089, Paperback)

Millions of Cats is a wonderful tale of vanity versus humility, written and illustrated by the singular Wanda Gag. An old man and his wife decide to get a cat, so the old man goes out in search of the prettiest cat of all. When he is forced to choose from "hundreds, thousands, millions and billions and trillions" of cats, he (naturally) brings them all home. When the wife points out their inability to support the legion of felines, it is left to the cats to decide who among them is the prettiest. Anyone who has ever owned more than a single cat can tell you what happens next.

Gag's simple, appealing black ink drawings are perfect for the story, somehow capturing at least the idea of millions of cats in a single page. Repeated lines and the sing-song title refrain make this a read-aloud natural.(Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:37 -0400)

How can an old man and his wife select one cat from a choice of millions and trillions?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,569,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible