Millions of Cats (Gift Edition) (Picture…

Millions of Cats (Gift Edition) (Picture Puffin Books) (original 1928; edition 2006)

by Wanda Gag

Member:debnance
Title:Millions of Cats (Gift Edition) (Picture Puffin Books)
Authors:Wanda Gag
Info:Puffin (2006), Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:*****

Millions of Cats by Wanda Gág (1928)

Loved this as a child and as a parent. Thank you listopia for reminding me of it now that my little ones are big! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Summary:
An old man who is searching for a cat for his wife. He finds millions of cats and could not decide which one to get for her. So he brings all of them home; he could not decide which one.

Personal Reaction:
I had never read this book til now, and I absolutely loved it. It was so cute. I am an animal lover so I would have done the same.

Classroom extension ideas:
1. Have the students illustrate all the cats the little old man sees.
2. Talk with the students when they got their first pet, and how hard it was to choose between them. ( )
  KourtneyPhillips | Apr 20, 2016 |
I liked this book and it could probably be used in a variety of lessons, especially math. However, it had some strange references such as the suggestion that the cats ate each other up. It has a good message, when the scrawny cat becomes loved, but the path their is strange. ( )
  CleoButtermann | Feb 15, 2016 |
I believe this book would be appropriate for younger elementary classrooms such as kindergarten or first grade. I believe this book could be used as a read aloud to talk about social and emotional skills. This book tells a story about an old man and woman looking for a kitten to keep as a pet, but it also focuses on the importance of caring for one another, self-esteem, and values. After reading this book, I could have students connect it to their lives and family to help them see that what makes a person special is their feelings and personalities. For example, I could have the students draw pictures of their families, and after sharing what they like about each family member with the class, I could ask if they would like them just the same if the person were shorter, had a different hair color, etc.
  Emily.Clark | Feb 12, 2016 |
This book could definitely be used in a math lesson about counting or to explain the difference between hundreds, thousands, millions, billions, and trillions. You could also use this book in a first or second grade classroom to teach retelling and identifying the moral of the story. ( )
  ddeely | Feb 9, 2016 |

Wanda Gágprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Persson, Lisa-ChristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was a very old man and a very old woman.
Cats here, cats there, cats and kittens everywhere, hundreds of cats, thousands of cats, millions and billions and trillions of cats.
It is the most beautiful cat in the whole world, said the very old man.
"Oh, I'm just a very homely little cat, " said the kitten, "So when you asked who was the prettiest, I didn't say anything. So nobody bothered me.
So it happened that every time the very old man looked up, he saw another cat which was so pretty he could not bear to leave it, and before he knew it, he had chosen them all.
This book shares a same ISBN as Deep in the Forest (Picture Puffins).

In Millions of Cats, a husband and wife decide that they need a cat so that they can feel less lonely. The husband then searches for the prettiest cat of all. However, when he sees a hill full of cats, he can't decide which one to take home. The man then takes home all of the cats! When he arrives at home, the wife tells him that they can only have one cat, because they can't feed the "hundreds, thousands, millions and billions and trillions" of cats. The repetition of the this phrase will be sure to engage and entertain young children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142407089, Paperback)

Millions of Cats is a wonderful tale of vanity versus humility, written and illustrated by the singular Wanda Gag. An old man and his wife decide to get a cat, so the old man goes out in search of the prettiest cat of all. When he is forced to choose from "hundreds, thousands, millions and billions and trillions" of cats, he (naturally) brings them all home. When the wife points out their inability to support the legion of felines, it is left to the cats to decide who among them is the prettiest. Anyone who has ever owned more than a single cat can tell you what happens next.

Gag's simple, appealing black ink drawings are perfect for the story, somehow capturing at least the idea of millions of cats in a single page. Repeated lines and the sing-song title refrain make this a read-aloud natural.(Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:22 -0400)

How can an old man and his wife select one cat from a choice of millions and trillions?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,780,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible