Millions of Cats (Gift Edition) (Picture…

Millions of Cats (Gift Edition) (Picture Puffin Books) (original 1928; edition 2006)

by Wanda Gag

Member:debnance
Title:Millions of Cats (Gift Edition) (Picture Puffin Books)
Authors:Wanda Gag
Info:Puffin (2006), Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:*****

Millions of Cats by Wanda Gág (1928)

This is a great book, it made me laugh. I am not sure what the theme might be but it's an uplifting tale with lots of rhyming. I would definitely read this book to my kids.
  ulindsay | Mar 13, 2015 |
This is a book about an old man who tries to pick one cat for his elderly wife among millions. When he finds that he can't pick just one, he takes them all home. Fun book for kids to sequence.
  kamijake | Mar 11, 2015 |
"Once upon a time there was a very old man and a very old woman. They lived in a nice clean house which had flowers all around it, except where the door was."

This fable-like story, which won a Newbery Honor Award, reminds me of other stories in which a childless old man and woman wish for a baby-replacement (e.g. Urikohime of Japan). In this case the old couple decide to get themselves a cat. The old man sets out and finds a hill covered in cats. He falls in love with all of them, and takes them home. The cats start fighting each other (as adult cats tend to do -- even when they came from the same litter). The cats disappear.

"I think they must have eaten each other all up," said the very old woman.

Thus marks the difference between modern stories and stories published in 1929: the Moment Of Morbidity, as I shall call it. You just don't see that anymore. Maurice Sendak pointed it out when he complained that children's books aren't scary enough anymore.

But there is one kitten left - a scraggly one which was never picked in the first place. This scraggly cat becomes the beloved baby-replacement. The moral: Sometimes ugly ones win out in the end. Or something.

Also, get your cats fixed. This story made me ruminate over the state of neighbourhoods before there were reasonably priced vets to do the job. I suppose cats were drowned, or suffered blows to the head. I imagine there were a lot more instances of households overrun with cats too, before there was such a thing as community health and safety officers.
  LynleyS | Mar 4, 2015 |
This is a fantasy book about an old man who takes on the task of picking one cat for his elderly wife among millions. When he finds that he can't pick just one, he takes them all home, eating and drinking tons of grass and water on the way. After they get to the house, the old man decides to let the cats pick which is the prettiest. When the crowd of cats begin to quarrel and eat each other up, only one is left. He is the smallest and weakest of all, and he didn't quarrel with the others. The old man and woman take this cat into their home and feed it until it grows nice and plump. This would be a good lesson to establish a classroom community, how everyone should encourage one another instead of arguing, like the cats in this book. ( )
  athena.j | Jan 20, 2015 |
In the book Millions of Cats, there is a little old couple that is lonely. The woman decides she wants a cat so they will not be lonely any more. The little old man went out to look for one cat but found millions of cats. He tried to pick the most beautiful one but he couldn’t pick just one so he picked them all. When he brought them home, he realized the mistake he made, so the couple asked the cats which one was the most beautiful and they would keep that one. All the cats started to fight because they all thought they were the most beautiful and so they ate each other. But one cat was left, because it was not beautiful so none of the cats wanted to fight him. The couple took that cat and were not lonely any more.
I think this is a cute and fun book. It is much exaggerated and it is fun to think of the different things that would happen if you came upon that many cats. At the end when all the cats ate each other this kind of shocked me a bit, I keep trying to think of a different way to get rid of all of the cats except the one that is left. We have two cats, and after reading this book I did think about getting a third at the end, that little cat is just so cute.
Classroom extensions:
1. Use this book to discuss the responsibilities of having a pet. Make a class chart of materials a person needs and duties people have to perform on a regular basis to have a pet.
2. Ask the children “Why did the old man have a difficult time choosing a cat?” Talk about how all the cats were all beautiful in their own way. Have the children talk about what make them beautiful in their own way to encourage self-esteem.
  CiaraLohman | Oct 28, 2014 |

Wanda Gágprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Persson, Lisa-ChristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was a very old man and a very old woman.
Cats here, cats there, cats and kittens everywhere, hundreds of cats, thousands of cats, millions and billions and trillions of cats.
It is the most beautiful cat in the whole world, said the very old man.
"Oh, I'm just a very homely little cat, " said the kitten, "So when you asked who was the prettiest, I didn't say anything. So nobody bothered me.
So it happened that every time the very old man looked up, he saw another cat which was so pretty he could not bear to leave it, and before he knew it, he had chosen them all.

In Millions of Cats, a husband and wife decide that they need a cat so that they can feel less lonely. The husband then searches for the prettiest cat of all. However, when he sees a hill full of cats, he can't decide which one to take home. The man then takes home all of the cats! When he arrives at home, the wife tells him that they can only have one cat, because they can't feed the "hundreds, thousands, millions and billions and trillions" of cats. The repetition of the this phrase will be sure to engage and entertain young children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142407089, Paperback)

Millions of Cats is a wonderful tale of vanity versus humility, written and illustrated by the singular Wanda Gag. An old man and his wife decide to get a cat, so the old man goes out in search of the prettiest cat of all. When he is forced to choose from "hundreds, thousands, millions and billions and trillions" of cats, he (naturally) brings them all home. When the wife points out their inability to support the legion of felines, it is left to the cats to decide who among them is the prettiest. Anyone who has ever owned more than a single cat can tell you what happens next.

Gag's simple, appealing black ink drawings are perfect for the story, somehow capturing at least the idea of millions of cats in a single page. Repeated lines and the sing-song title refrain make this a read-aloud natural.(Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:37 -0400)

How can an old man and his wife select one cat from a choice of millions and trillions?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,162,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible