Millions of Cats (Gift Edition) (Picture…

Millions of Cats (Gift Edition) (Picture Puffin Books) (original 1928; edition 2006)

by Wanda Gag

Member:debnance
Title:Millions of Cats (Gift Edition) (Picture Puffin Books)
Authors:Wanda Gag
Info:Puffin (2006), Paperback, 32 pages
Rating:*****

Millions of Cats by Wanda Gág (1928)

A plain but fun tale of a lonely couple who want a cat for company. The illustrations are in black and white, but charming, and the prose just rolls off the tongue: "Hundreds of cats, thousands of cats, millions and billions and trillions of cats"! ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 9, 2017 |
an elderly couple wants a cute little kitty, the husband goes to pick out one and can't decide on one so he brings them all home, then the cats start fighting over who's the prettiest kitty until they are all gone except one homely kitty, who with love and care turns into the prettiest kitty of them all. ( )
  frannymack13 | Feb 22, 2017 |
"Millions of Cats" is about an elderly couple searching for the prettiest cat; instead of finding just one, they find millions. These cats end up eating each other so only one remains--the thin, scraggly one. When the couple takes it in and cares for it, it becomes the prettiest cat of all. Although I enjoyed the overall message, I did not care for the book. I believe it is outdated and confusing, and would therefore, not put it in my classroom. The book itself questions the judgement of beauty and is ideally made for third through fifth graders, but could also be read to first and second graders. ( )
  megfeyer | Jan 26, 2017 |
Millions of Cats is a short children book telling the story of an old couple. The couple feels lonely and wants to get a cat, when the husband goes out looking he sees so many that he can't choose. He decided to bring them all home, and his wife says they can't keep them all. All of the cats get in a fight and they end up keeping one homely kitten that ends up being beautiful. This book would be best four around 2nd or 3rd graders. I would read this book to my future students because there are many lessons in the book that can be discovered.
  Kaligorman | Jan 26, 2017 |
This is a strange little book. I appreciate that it is the very first picture book, but I'm not sure that it merited a Newbery Honor (although I can see why it did, as the Caldecott did not exist at that time). I won't read it again, most likely, but I'm working my way through all of the Newberys. ( )
  aharey | Nov 30, 2016 |

Wanda Gágprimary authorall editionscalculated
Persson, Lisa-ChristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was a very old man and a very old woman.
Cats here, cats there, cats and kittens everywhere, hundreds of cats, thousands of cats, millions and billions and trillions of cats.
It is the most beautiful cat in the whole world, said the very old man.
"Oh, I'm just a very homely little cat, " said the kitten, "So when you asked who was the prettiest, I didn't say anything. So nobody bothered me.
So it happened that every time the very old man looked up, he saw another cat which was so pretty he could not bear to leave it, and before he knew it, he had chosen them all.
This book shares a same ISBN as Deep in the Forest (Picture Puffins).

In Millions of Cats, a husband and wife decide that they need a cat so that they can feel less lonely. The husband then searches for the prettiest cat of all. However, when he sees a hill full of cats, he can't decide which one to take home. The man then takes home all of the cats! When he arrives at home, the wife tells him that they can only have one cat, because they can't feed the "hundreds, thousands, millions and billions and trillions" of cats. The repetition of the this phrase will be sure to engage and entertain young children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142407089, Paperback)

Millions of Cats is a wonderful tale of vanity versus humility, written and illustrated by the singular Wanda Gag. An old man and his wife decide to get a cat, so the old man goes out in search of the prettiest cat of all. When he is forced to choose from "hundreds, thousands, millions and billions and trillions" of cats, he (naturally) brings them all home. When the wife points out their inability to support the legion of felines, it is left to the cats to decide who among them is the prettiest. Anyone who has ever owned more than a single cat can tell you what happens next.

Gag's simple, appealing black ink drawings are perfect for the story, somehow capturing at least the idea of millions of cats in a single page. Repeated lines and the sing-song title refrain make this a read-aloud natural.(Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:22 -0400)

How can an old man and his wife select one cat from a choice of millions and trillions?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible