Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Night Watch (1998)

by Sergei Lukyanenko

Series: Watch (1), World of Watches Hexalogy (1)

English (117)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (123)
I think it must have lost something in translation. ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
This book is actually three stories in chronological order with the same characters and world. There isn't an overall story arc really, so calling this a novel is a little off.

It's an enjoyable read, although not nearly as deep as the story likes to think of itself. Some aspects between the different stories are irritatingly repetitive, as similar themes and idea get rehashed the same way in each story, with similar conclusions.

That being said, I quite appreciated the wry Russian humor in some parts, and the world that's created is certainly interesting. It's not a must-read, but if the description seems of interest, you will be entertained. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
Good to know that Russian popular literature is not for me. Enjoyed the first part until the denouement - so dreary and depressing. The second part didn't have the verve of the first and I was bogged down in written sludge. More erudite readers will appreciate this book. I a off to appreciate books plotted with critical thinking skills and myriad journal article on the neuroscience of personality and thought. ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
I saw this in movie-format one bright summer's day when I was at home with a miserable cold. So much did I like the movie that I went out and bought the book. The movie was good. The book is better. THe book makes a little more sense than the movie.

I'm gonna tell ya - this book has vampires in it. Happily they are Russian vampires and tend to the dark, gloomy and fatalistic. No one sparkles. There are no sappy teenagers in the story. (Don't misunderstand, a teenager or two does in fact make its way into the book. They're just not sappy.)

I quite liked it. ( )
  MsMaison | Dec 5, 2017 |
Wow. This book SUCKED. Totally NOT AT ALL about vampires, which I thought it would be about. Also, after 450 pages of plot twists, what's-going-ons, and double- & triple-crosses we find out that the most powerful "Other" in all of Russia did everything because he loves some chick who is trapped in an owl's body. THIS ISN'T FUCKING TWILIGHT!

Sucked. Sucked. Sucked. ( )
  writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |

Lukyanenko, Sergeiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bromfield, AndrewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlsson, RogerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Konttinen, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pöhlmann, ChristianeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This text has been approved for distribution as conducive to the cause of the Light.
The Night Watch

This text has been approved for distribution as conducive to the cause of the Dark.
The Day Watch
The escalator strained slowly upward.

The phenomenal Russian bestseller. A vampire novel set in a richly realized post-Soviet Moscow, The Night Watch has sold across Europe and to 20th Century Fox for huge advances.

In The Night Watch, the first of a trilogy, and reminiscent of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials in its ambitions and achievement, the setting is contemporary Moscow. A small number of Muscovites with supernatural powers — those who are Other, owing allegiance either to the Dark or the Light — co-exist in an uneasy truce, each side keeping a close eye on the other’s activities around the city.

Anton, an Other on the side of the Light, is a night-watchman, patrolling the streets and Metro of the city as he protects ordinary people from the vampires of the Dark. On his rounds, Anton comes across a young woman, Svetlana, whom he realizes is under a curse that threatens the entire city, and a boy, Igor, a young Other, as yet unaware of his own enormous power. Partnered by Olga, an Other who is in the form of an owl, he struggles to remove the curse and thereby save the city, while at the same time prevent Igor from falling into the clutches of the Dark.

The Night Watch explores the nature of good and evil and the tensions between the individual and the collective in a gripping narrative that owes as much to The Master and Margarita as it is does to the richly realized worlds of Philip Pullman and Tolkien.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:21 -0400)

The forces of Light and Darkness have co-existed in a delicate balance for hundreds of years...until now. Even as the Night Watch polices the Dark Others--among them vampires, witches and shape-shifters--a chain of mysterious events triggers a dreaded, age-old prophecy: An immortal with special powers will come to switch sides, shattering the balance and unleashing an apocalyptic war unlike any the world has ever known.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,223,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible