Yöpartio by Sergei Lukjanenko

Yöpartio (original 1998; edition 2012)

by Sergei Lukjanenko, Arto Konttinen (KÄÄnt.)

Member:Centaurea
Title:Yöpartio
Authors:Sergei Lukjanenko
Other authors:Arto Konttinen (KÄÄnt.)
Info:
Collections:Kirjat, Olen lukenut, Your library
Tags:Fantasiakirjallisuus, Vampyyrit, Käännöskirjallisuus

Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (Author) (1998)

Recently added byAkhena88, heaven_star, vaknathi, humblewomble, mnolte, private library, midkid88, jonahellinger
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (citygirl)
    citygirl: When the supernatural collides with modern life. One in Moscow, one in the US.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (FFortuna)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (simon211175)
    The City & the City by China Miéville (julienne_preacher)
    julienne_preacher: Both books are about divided realities (and both books are awesome).
    Vita Nostra by Marina Gyacsenko (Lucy_Skywalker)

English (102)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (108)
This just didn't take off for me. I've had a few lately that just haven't clicked and this was one.

I had been forewarned about the Russian style of it, but I didn't quite understand what that meant or something, or figured it was something I'd cope with. I read a lot, I'm open to lots of different types of storytelling, usually.

Not the case here.

Someone who has read it and loves the series asked me if I found it too "hard", and no it wasn't a hard read, it was a detached, read. Actually! It's a lot like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in feel. A cool story but it sort of feels like you're watching a story on a television in someone else's loungeroom from outside with your face pushed up against the window. The story might be great, but it's really hard to get involved and not just walk away from it.

I walked away from this one. I gave it a good quarter of a book to pull me in and none of the story hooks really grabbed me. I just didn't care in the end, so I put it down and grabbed something I did.

Not a bad book, it was well written and what I saw of the world was highly original, it just wasn't my bag. ( )

heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |
This book was recommended to me as similar to the Dresdon files. I really enjoyed this book and have already purchased the sequel. Lukyanenko's style of writing is very enjoyable to me as it feels very thoughtful. The characters are extremely vivid and their motivations resonate with me as being genuine and not one dimensional. ( )
  fickledragon | May 24, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The forces of Light and Dark have sworn a treaty, so they live at peace. Anton is a member of the Night Watch, the group of Others who’ve joined the Light’s side and patrol the streets of Moscow at night to make sure that the Dark magicians are keeping their side of the bargain. During the daytime, the Day Watch does the same task for the Dark side. Meddling with the affairs of humans, for either good or ill, allows the other side to even the score so that Dark and Light are always kept in balance.

On one of his first street assignments, Anton tries to release a beautiful young woman named Svetlana from a dark curse hanging over her head. Later, he finds a couple of vampires who are trying to poach a young boy named Egor. Egor appears to have undiscovered powers of his own — he must be an unknown Other who still has to make a decision about whether to follow the Light or the Dark. The fates of both Svetlana and Egor seem important to the Day Watch. As Anton and the Night Watch try to protect them from the Dark, Anton worries about their destinies, and his own.

The translation of The Night Watch from Russian is incredibly smooth, resulting in a pleasant reading experience. Modern Moscow makes a terrific setting for an urban fantasy novel and Anton is a likable hero. I read Audible Frontiers’ version narrated by Paul Michael, who is perfect for the role of a tough but sensitive Muscovite (and who is now my second favorite audiobook reader).

While the writing, the setting, the characters, and most of the plot are quite enjoyable, there are a couple of related problems that kept The Night Watch from being the completely engrossing story that it had the potential to be. We get much of the story in first-person from Anton’s point of view and, while this made me really understand and like his character, it also means that we spend a huge amount of time listening to Anton trying to figure out what’s going on. He’ll brood for a while, then have an epiphany and give us an explanation (not always logical or believable) that he’s sure is right, but then suddenly he’ll be wrong and some other strange (and just as illogical or unbelievable) explanation will be given, which may or may not be correct. I chuckled toward the end of the book when Anton says this to himself:

"I didn’t know. As always, I didn’t have enough information for analysis. I could have come up with thirty-three different explanations, all contradicting each other."

And I think he does come up with thirty-three different explanations, all contradicting each other. It gets really confusing and it interrupts the action but, worse, when we find out what’s really going on, it’s not nearly as exciting as it could have been. Most of the plot climaxes just fizzle when we find out the truth.

Related to this is the fact that I never quite believed in Sergei Lukyanenko’s world. The whole idea of a truce between Light and Dark and all the strange rules and ramifications that result seem extremely unlikely. In his interior monologues, Anton goes on at length about light and dark, destiny and fate — I’m not sure that it all made sense. I also didn’t understand some of the choices Anton made, especially at the end. Perhaps this will be cleared up in the sequels, but it’s annoying to not get the pay-off in this book.

But still, I enjoyed spending time in Moscow with Anton and his friends and enemies, even if I was confused about the plot. I just may pick up the next book, Day Watch. I mean, I’ll download it from Audible. I am certain that Mr. Michael’s narration made me enjoy The Night Watch more than I would have if I had read it in print. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Lukyanenko, SergeiAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bromfield, AndrewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlsson, RogerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
O presente texto foi aprovado para divulgação por favorecer a obra da Luz.
Os Guardiães da Noite

O presente texto foi aprovado para divulgação por favorecer a obra das Trevas.
Os Guardiães do Dia
The escalator strained slowly upward.

The phenomenal Russian bestseller. A vampire novel set in a richly realized post-Soviet Moscow, The Night Watch has sold across Europe and to 20th Century Fox for huge advances.

In The Night Watch, the first of a trilogy, and reminiscent of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials in its ambitions and achievement, the setting is contemporary Moscow. A small number of Muscovites with supernatural powers — those who are Other, owing allegiance either to the Dark or the Light — co-exist in an uneasy truce, each side keeping a close eye on the other’s activities around the city.

Anton, an Other on the side of the Light, is a night-watchman, patrolling the streets and Metro of the city as he protects ordinary people from the vampires of the Dark. On his rounds, Anton comes across a young woman, Svetlana, whom he realizes is under a curse that threatens the entire city, and a boy, Igor, a young Other, as yet unaware of his own enormous power. Partnered by Olga, an Other who is in the form of an owl, he struggles to remove the curse and thereby save the city, while at the same time prevent Igor from falling into the clutches of the Dark.

The Night Watch explores the nature of good and evil and the tensions between the individual and the collective in a gripping narrative that owes as much to The Master and Margarita as it is does to the richly realized worlds of Philip Pullman and Tolkien.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:11 -0400)

The forces of Light and Darkness have co-existed in a delicate balance for hundreds of years...until now. Even as the Night Watch polices the Dark Others--among them vampires, witches and shape-shifters--a chain of mysterious events triggers a dreaded, age-old prophecy: An immortal with special powers will come to switch sides, shattering the balance and unleashing an apocalyptic war unlike any the world has ever known.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,413,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible