Nakties sargyba: fantastinis romanas by…

Nakties sargyba: fantastinis romanas (original 1998; edition 2004)

by Сергей Васильевич Лукьяненко, J (J)

Member:ElectricAlice
Title:Nakties sargyba: fantastinis romanas
Authors:Сергей Васильевич Лукьяненко
Other authors:J (J)
Info:Kaunas, Naujasis Eridanas, 2004
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:20th century, Russian, fantasy, vampires, werewolves, imaginary beings, wizards, witches, magic, supernatural, urban fantasy, dark fantasy, horror, choices, dualism, one truth doesn't exist, Moscow

Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (Author) (1998)

Recently added byiggsn, dschnell, private library, Verkruissen, Paul12355, Alcohoptimist, The_Hidalgos

English (104)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (110)
Night Watch agent, Anton Gordetsky, is new to field work. Usually he's a programmer, but now his ancient boss wants him on a case - a case that's much bigger than it even seems in the initial two stories. We end on a third story with Anton basically throwing off the Night Watch and even, perhaps, his own life, so that the Night Watch - the force of Good (or is it??) can enact... WHAT??? I NEED DAYWATCH, NOW!!! ( )
  ooshwiggity | Feb 1, 2015 |
This was recommended to me by someone who loves it, but it took me forever to get through. I think my biggest problem was that I felt no sympathy for the main character. What I got out of him was complaints, self-loathing, and no will to go on living. This really came out for me when he kept complaining about his relationship and how he didn't want to love but had no choice.
I also was lost when it came to the magic portion of the story. Noting was explained satisfactorily for me and I was always confused when it was brought up, especially when they talked about the different degrees of magicians.
I got the series as ebooks but have only read the first one but do not care to continue with these characters. ( )
  midkid88 | Jan 16, 2015 |
This might have been a 3.5 but I was just itching for it to end so I demoted it a half star. I had such high hopes for this book and though they weren't completely dashed, they were in no way lived up to. After the initial paranormal bits, which are at first confusing and afterwards a bit annoying, the book is mainly a bunch of cops and robbers novellas. I will definitely read the rest of the series, not only because I already purchased them but mainly because I want to believe that it redeems itself somewhere along the line. These books will definitely not be at the too of my ever growing, unspeakably large pile of To Be Read books though. ( )
  BethYacoub | Dec 31, 2014 |
This just didn't take off for me. I've had a few lately that just haven't clicked and this was one.

I had been forewarned about the Russian style of it, but I didn't quite understand what that meant or something, or figured it was something I'd cope with. I read a lot, I'm open to lots of different types of storytelling, usually.

Not the case here.

Someone who has read it and loves the series asked me if I found it too "hard", and no it wasn't a hard read, it was a detached, read. Actually! It's a lot like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in feel. A cool story but it sort of feels like you're watching a story on a television in someone else's loungeroom from outside with your face pushed up against the window. The story might be great, but it's really hard to get involved and not just walk away from it.

I walked away from this one. I gave it a good quarter of a book to pull me in and none of the story hooks really grabbed me. I just didn't care in the end, so I put it down and grabbed something I did.

Not a bad book, it was well written and what I saw of the world was highly original, it just wasn't my bag. ( )
  heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |

Not the case here.

heaven_star | Oct 20, 2014 |

Lukyanenko, SergeiAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bromfield, AndrewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlsson, RogerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
O presente texto foi aprovado para divulgação por favorecer a obra da Luz.
Os Guardiães da Noite

O presente texto foi aprovado para divulgação por favorecer a obra das Trevas.
Os Guardiães do Dia
The escalator strained slowly upward.

The phenomenal Russian bestseller. A vampire novel set in a richly realized post-Soviet Moscow, The Night Watch has sold across Europe and to 20th Century Fox for huge advances.

In The Night Watch, the first of a trilogy, and reminiscent of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials in its ambitions and achievement, the setting is contemporary Moscow. A small number of Muscovites with supernatural powers — those who are Other, owing allegiance either to the Dark or the Light — co-exist in an uneasy truce, each side keeping a close eye on the other’s activities around the city.

Anton, an Other on the side of the Light, is a night-watchman, patrolling the streets and Metro of the city as he protects ordinary people from the vampires of the Dark. On his rounds, Anton comes across a young woman, Svetlana, whom he realizes is under a curse that threatens the entire city, and a boy, Igor, a young Other, as yet unaware of his own enormous power. Partnered by Olga, an Other who is in the form of an owl, he struggles to remove the curse and thereby save the city, while at the same time prevent Igor from falling into the clutches of the Dark.

The Night Watch explores the nature of good and evil and the tensions between the individual and the collective in a gripping narrative that owes as much to The Master and Margarita as it is does to the richly realized worlds of Philip Pullman and Tolkien.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:11 -0400)

The forces of Light and Darkness have co-existed in a delicate balance for hundreds of years...until now. Even as the Night Watch polices the Dark Others--among them vampires, witches and shape-shifters--a chain of mysterious events triggers a dreaded, age-old prophecy: An immortal with special powers will come to switch sides, shattering the balance and unleashing an apocalyptic war unlike any the world has ever known.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,191,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible