Nakties sargyba: fantastinis romanas by…

Nakties sargyba: fantastinis romanas (original 1998; edition 2004)

by Сергей Васильевич Лукьяненко, J (J)

Member:ElectricAlice
Title:Nakties sargyba: fantastinis romanas
Authors:Сергей Васильевич Лукьяненко
Other authors:J (J)
Info:Kaunas, Naujasis Eridanas, 2004
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:20th century, Russian, fantasy, vampires, werewolves, imaginary beings, wizards, witches, magic, supernatural, urban fantasy, dark fantasy, horror, choices, dualism, one truth doesn't exist, Moscow

Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (Author) (1998)

Recently added byWindering, cecca, Akraseena, cupocofe, kosj, Nickpickle05, private library, Anvity, MaeveKane, ssimon2000
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (citygirl)
    citygirl: When the supernatural collides with modern life. One in Moscow, one in the US.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (FFortuna)
    A Madness of Angels: Or, the Resurrection of Matthew Swift by Kate Griffin (simon211175)
    The City & the City by China Miéville (julienne_preacher)
    julienne_preacher: Both books are about divided realities (and both books are awesome).
    Vita Nostra by Marina Gyacsenko (Lucy_Skywalker)

English (99)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (105)
This book was recommended to me as similar to the Dresdon files. I really enjoyed this book and have already purchased the sequel. Lukyanenko's style of writing is very enjoyable to me as it feels very thoughtful. The characters are extremely vivid and their motivations resonate with me as being genuine and not one dimensional. ( )
  fickledragon | May 24, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The forces of Light and Dark have sworn a treaty, so they live at peace. Anton is a member of the Night Watch, the group of Others who’ve joined the Light’s side and patrol the streets of Moscow at night to make sure that the Dark magicians are keeping their side of the bargain. During the daytime, the Day Watch does the same task for the Dark side. Meddling with the affairs of humans, for either good or ill, allows the other side to even the score so that Dark and Light are always kept in balance.

On one of his first street assignments, Anton tries to release a beautiful young woman named Svetlana from a dark curse hanging over her head. Later, he finds a couple of vampires who are trying to poach a young boy named Egor. Egor appears to have undiscovered powers of his own — he must be an unknown Other who still has to make a decision about whether to follow the Light or the Dark. The fates of both Svetlana and Egor seem important to the Day Watch. As Anton and the Night Watch try to protect them from the Dark, Anton worries about their destinies, and his own.

The translation of The Night Watch from Russian is incredibly smooth, resulting in a pleasant reading experience. Modern Moscow makes a terrific setting for an urban fantasy novel and Anton is a likable hero. I read Audible Frontiers’ version narrated by Paul Michael, who is perfect for the role of a tough but sensitive Muscovite (and who is now my second favorite audiobook reader).

While the writing, the setting, the characters, and most of the plot are quite enjoyable, there are a couple of related problems that kept The Night Watch from being the completely engrossing story that it had the potential to be. We get much of the story in first-person from Anton’s point of view and, while this made me really understand and like his character, it also means that we spend a huge amount of time listening to Anton trying to figure out what’s going on. He’ll brood for a while, then have an epiphany and give us an explanation (not always logical or believable) that he’s sure is right, but then suddenly he’ll be wrong and some other strange (and just as illogical or unbelievable) explanation will be given, which may or may not be correct. I chuckled toward the end of the book when Anton says this to himself:

"I didn’t know. As always, I didn’t have enough information for analysis. I could have come up with thirty-three different explanations, all contradicting each other."

And I think he does come up with thirty-three different explanations, all contradicting each other. It gets really confusing and it interrupts the action but, worse, when we find out what’s really going on, it’s not nearly as exciting as it could have been. Most of the plot climaxes just fizzle when we find out the truth.

Related to this is the fact that I never quite believed in Sergei Lukyanenko’s world. The whole idea of a truce between Light and Dark and all the strange rules and ramifications that result seem extremely unlikely. In his interior monologues, Anton goes on at length about light and dark, destiny and fate — I’m not sure that it all made sense. I also didn’t understand some of the choices Anton made, especially at the end. Perhaps this will be cleared up in the sequels, but it’s annoying to not get the pay-off in this book.

But still, I enjoyed spending time in Moscow with Anton and his friends and enemies, even if I was confused about the plot. I just may pick up the next book, Day Watch. I mean, I’ll download it from Audible. I am certain that Mr. Michael’s narration made me enjoy The Night Watch more than I would have if I had read it in print. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Anton, a member of the Night Watch, has been selected to try out field work by his boss. Anton and his other Night Watch members are Others, non-humans like werewolves and other shifters, magicians, vampires, etc. They patrol areas of Moscow and Russia to try to keep the balance between Light, which they represent, and Dark, which the Day Watch represents. In this episode, we follow along Anton's field work in three sort if inter-related cases.

Compelling and intriguing characters, both minor and major, fill the pages of the story and add to plot development. The narrative is complex, laced with humor, has multi-leveled mysteries for all three cases, and is fairly action packed.

Without giving away plot line, which I'm afraid of doing, I'll just say this:

Overall, an awesome read! ( )
  catya77 | Feb 9, 2014 |
Prachtig boek - dat zich afspeelt in het hedendaagse Moskou - over de strijd tussen Goed en Kwaad dat na een wapenstilstand van duizend jaar verbroken dreigt te worden door de komst van een jongen.

Nachtwacht maakt deel uit van een trilogie dat een van de grootste Russische succesverhalen van de laatste decennia is. De verfilming van dit boek versloeg blockbusters als de Harry Potter films en de Lord of the Rings trilogie ruimschoots. ( )
  EdwinK | Dec 6, 2013 |
My husband bought the whole "Night Watch" trilogy as train-reading material. Having read the first one, I'm amazed he remembered to quit and get off at his stop every day.

It's the heartwarming story of the Night and Day Watches; the groups of supernatural beings that keep the balance of light and darkness in balance on Earth. The Watchers are able to go through the Twilight - the shadow world that exists just on the other side of our "real world".

Lukyanenko has a lot to say about human nature in general, and politics (especially office/bureaucratic politics) in particular, which made it fun for me. He's also, apparently, a black metal fan; there are several bands whose song lyrics are quoted throughout the book. Yeah, I suppose you could call Blackmore's Night a "metal" band...

I felt that the tone was very Russian, as in modern Russia. which was also a plus for me. Much better than the movie based on this first book, which I also enjoyed. I'm taking a break w/some Jane Austen zombies, but I'm planning on reading the rest of the books very soon. ( )
  KarenM61 | Nov 28, 2013 |

Lukyanenko, SergeiAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bromfield, AndrewTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlsson, RogerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
O presente texto foi aprovado para divulgação por favorecer a obra da Luz.
Os Guardiães da Noite

O presente texto foi aprovado para divulgação por favorecer a obra das Trevas.
Os Guardiães do Dia
The escalator strained slowly upward.

The phenomenal Russian bestseller. A vampire novel set in a richly realized post-Soviet Moscow, The Night Watch has sold across Europe and to 20th Century Fox for huge advances.

In The Night Watch, the first of a trilogy, and reminiscent of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials in its ambitions and achievement, the setting is contemporary Moscow. A small number of Muscovites with supernatural powers — those who are Other, owing allegiance either to the Dark or the Light — co-exist in an uneasy truce, each side keeping a close eye on the other’s activities around the city.

Anton, an Other on the side of the Light, is a night-watchman, patrolling the streets and Metro of the city as he protects ordinary people from the vampires of the Dark. On his rounds, Anton comes across a young woman, Svetlana, whom he realizes is under a curse that threatens the entire city, and a boy, Igor, a young Other, as yet unaware of his own enormous power. Partnered by Olga, an Other who is in the form of an owl, he struggles to remove the curse and thereby save the city, while at the same time prevent Igor from falling into the clutches of the Dark.

The Night Watch explores the nature of good and evil and the tensions between the individual and the collective in a gripping narrative that owes as much to The Master and Margarita as it is does to the richly realized worlds of Philip Pullman and Tolkien.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:11 -0400)

The forces of Light and Darkness have co-existed in a delicate balance for hundreds of years...until now. Even as the Night Watch polices the Dark Others--among them vampires, witches and shape-shifters--a chain of mysterious events triggers a dreaded, age-old prophecy: An immortal with special powers will come to switch sides, shattering the balance and unleashing an apocalyptic war unlike any the world has ever known.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible