The Devil's Acolyte by Michael Jecks

I have virtually all of Jecks' works. I am new to Library Things so am not going to go into great detail except to say that he has given me many hours of reading pleasure and largley give him 5 stars. Although it has been some years since I found one of the later stories, I was, at the time, prompted to find the first in the series, etc. It is grand that both his former publisher and his new publisher (Simon & Schuster UK) are republishing his books in print and other formats. I have given Jecks 5 star reviews over the years since I stumbled on to him. As to his research, historically it is from primary sources wherein he writes plausible tales into the historical setting. ( )
  Bookaholic2 | Mar 16, 2015 |

Amidst the myth and folklore of Tavistock, one tale above all others strikes fear into the hearts of the townspeople—that of the murders on the Abbot’s Way. One cold winter, many years ago, a young acolyte led a group of fellow novices in the theft of their abbot’s wine store. Later, consumed by guilt and fear of discovery, he was driven to commit still more crimes. As legend has it, the devil himself meted out his punishment, leading the acolyte and his cohorts to their deaths on the treacherous Devon moors. Now, in the autumn of 1322, it looks as if history is repeating itself. Abbot Robert has found his wine barrel empty, and a body has been discovered on the moors. Furnshill and Puttock are called upon to investigate, but the case seems only to become increasingly complicated. It soon becomes apparent that it’s not just wine that’s missing from the abbey—and that the body on the moors isn’t the last.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:18 -0400)

Amidst the myth and folklore of Tavistock (Devon) in 1322, one tale above all others strikes fear into the hearts of the town's inhabitants, that of the murders on the Abbot's Way. Now in the autumn of 1322 it looks as though history may be repeating itself. Sir Baldwin Furnshill and Bailiff Simon Puttock investigate.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,923,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible