Cue the Easter Bunny by Liz Evans

Cue the Easter Bunny

by Liz Evans

I quite liked this book (I'm of the school of thought that a 3* rating is not a bad thing) and will grab the authors other works if I come across them. Loved the main character but felt like the pacing was off a bit. I feel like a really good editor could make this book better, tighten it up a bit, not to mention correct some of the paragraphing issues. ( )
  cherrybob_omb | Sep 23, 2013 |
Grace Smith has always been one of my favourite of the fraught, vaguely madcap female private detective sub-genre for a bunch of different reasons.

Firstly I love Grace herself. Slightly bats definitely, sometimes refreshingly stupid, often times bordering on out of control, there's something refreshingly real and unmanufactured about Grace. She's the sort of girl you could see yourself having a drink with and whilst you might be a bit worried about the state of your shoes at the end of the night, your personal ego's not going to come away feeling somewhat underbaked.

Secondly I really love the supporting cast, particularly the other staff at the Detective Agency that Grace works at, most of whom are somewhat mildly bats in their own right.

Lastly I really like the plots of the books, and CUE THE EASTER BUNNY is no disappointment in those stakes, although, to be honest, the ongoing jokes about rabbits got dangerously close to being the biggest attraction.

I've been dodging the inevitable here I guess - is she the English Evanovich? Hate these sorts of comparisons as, apart from the coincidence of similar sorts of central characters - they are different books about different people in a completely different location. Given the choice, if it's my money being shelled out, Grace Smith is a better bet. None of that coy will she / won't she and with which bloke (which last time I tried a Plum book was still dragging on....). With Grace Smith there's nothing coy or cutsey - she is what she is, her love life is as on and off again as she bloody well wants it to be and besides, it's not the only thing in this girls life.

http://www.austcrimefiction.org/review/cue-easter-bunny-liz-evans ( )
  austcrimefiction | Jul 25, 2012 |
I consider Liz Evans to be the English Janet Evanovich in that her books are full of humour and their main character has a similar zany charm.
At the start of this one Grace Smith our heroine,is disguised as a seven-foot tall Easter Bunny. (don't ask) I quote " Life is tough for rabbits. Apart from the problems of constantly having to keep a lookout for natural enemies,there's heatstroke,thirst,and having the hassle of getting a pair of twelve-inch ears through the doorframe to the ladies,loo.".
Quite a few laughs in the course of the book and at the same time a decent plot to carry things along.
Grace is a detective working free-lance for Vetch Investigations,in the English seaside town of Seatoun. Things are quiet so she takes a job as an Easter Bunny for the Tourist Board. She becomes the first bunny rabbit in the history of the town to be arrested on a charge of GBH. It is then that she takes on a case of trying to find who is sending a number of threatening letters to the husband of a TV soap star. Swiftly things begin to take a much darker direction and Grace finds herself in several dangerous situations. ( )
  devenish | May 2, 2011 |
PI Grace Smith is back in her latest adventure, and she is as broke as ever! To remedy this situation, she finds herself dressing up like a rabbit. Then having to investigate two cases at the same time, she has to face more fiends: a (very friendly) rabbit, some crazed soap stars and a very dangerously seductive potential boyfriend. This is a very good read, there is lots of action and a good 'noir' plot. ( )
  soniaandree | Feb 25, 2011 |
Fabulous. These books are wonderfully humourous without being the slightest bit "light". Some dark and heavy stuff though there's plenty of sunshine, and a lot of characters so weird they could be real. I like Grace a lot, I want to hit her over the head and tell her not to do things like this, but she wouldn't be the same if she'd take my advice.
1 vote nocto | Dec 8, 2010 |
To the memory of Elizabeth Burkinshaw and Rose Higgs
What's your worst nightmare? The one that comes in the half-life moment between waking and sleeping and jolts you into consciousness with a dry mouth and pounding heart?

"Things get hopping for PI Grace Smith when she dons a bunny outfit to earn a little extra money handing out promotional items. While she's on the job, one of Grace's business cards falls into the hands of Della, a woman whose son, actor Jonathon Black, has been receiving threatening letters. Jonathon is married to television soap star Clemency Courtney, and Grace gets her foot in their door by telling the couple that Della has hired her to be a gardener for their estate. Grace, of course, knows nothing about plants (except how to cut them down), and the closer she gets to catching the villain, the worse the landscaping looks. A witty, wisecracking heroine who manages to bungle her way to solving the case; colorful characters; hilarious situations; and snappy dialogue all add up to a very fun read. This is the fifth title in the series for a writer called the British Janet Evanovich. Highly recommended."  —Library Journal (Starred Review)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Spring is in the air, but the seaside town of Seatoun has seen better days. In order to attract more visitors to the town, the local tourist board has decided to dress someone up in a bunny costume to play with the children - enter Grace Smith! But it isn't long before she has more that Easter eggs to worry about.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,744,195 books! | Top bar: Always visible