Shopgirl: A Novella by Steve Martin

Shopgirl: A Novella (original 2000; edition 2006)

by Steve Martin

Title:Shopgirl: A Novella
Authors:Steve Martin
Info:Hyperion (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages

Shopgirl by Steve Martin (2000)

A much faster read/listen than I'd anticipated. I enjoyed the storyline's angst'n'pathos approach and, basically, enjoyed this book. In 1963, I was a reclusive freshman at Garden Grove High School (in Garden Grove, California); Steve Martin was an energetic, involved, funny and very popular senior. I knew, early on, that he would find success in whatever field he chose to follow; as it happens, he has found success in numerous fields - music, film/acting, comedy and writing. That having been said, perhaps audiobook narration isn't one of his super-skills. Regardless, the storyline held my interest, I was able to relate to more than one of his well-defined characters and I enjoyed the time spent with Mirabelle, the shopgirl. Four stars. ( )
  idajo2 | Nov 3, 2015 |
Sad portrayals (fantasies actually) of beautiful but pathetic, helpless women.
A quite unnecessary deployment of the word "cunt".
A simplistic, almost romanticized characterization of depression.

Just all very disturbing. I'm not pleased, Steve Martin. ( )
  annadanz | Jul 5, 2015 |
I wish I had made a note of why I entered this title on my Wish List to Read. From the moment the writing provided on page 13, "She drives in the same posture as she walks, overly erect. The glasses give her a librarian quality-before libraries were on CD-ROM-and the '89 Toyota truck she drives indicates a librarian's salary too." Really?
I'm a former librarian. I don't appreciate this description especially in a book with a copyright date of 2000 and by an individual that I consider to be educated and have global awareness on a large subject base.
I continued reading and finished the book but I certainly wasn't riveted to the storyline. I would not recommend this book and I find it difficult to understand why The New York Post said, "Shopgirl is a small triumph."
I understand this book became a "Major Motion Picture" starring Steve Martin. I generally like Steve Martin movies but I think I'll skip this one. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Read this a LONG time ago. Since it was Steve Martin, I wanted it to be funnier. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
All I could think when I was reading this book was that I was so pleased that Steve Martin was such an excellent writer. It is easy to pity the main character for all of her flaws and bad luck, but it's hard not to laugh at the situation and Martin's choice of descriptions. The novella is satirical through and through, and may, at times, remind you of the story and characters in Sylvia Plaths' The Bell Jar for their mental anguish and unfortunate circumstances.
  HeatherCHoffman | Feb 11, 2014 |
For Allyson
When you work in the glove department at Neiman's, you are selling things that nobody buys anymore.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786891076, Mass Market Paperback)

Steve Martin's first foray into fiction is as assured as it is surprising. Set in Los Angeles, its fascination with the surreal body fascism of the upper classes feels like the comedian's familiar territory, but the shopgirl of the book's title may surprise his fans. Mirabelle works in the glove department of Neiman's, "selling things that nobody buys any more." Spending her days waiting for customers to appear, Mirabelle "looks like a puppy standing on its hind legs, and the two brown dots of her eyes, set in the china plate of her face, make her seem very cute and noticeable." Lonely and vulnerable, she passes her evenings taking prescription drugs and drawing "dead things," while pursuing an on-off relationship with the hopeless Jeremy, who possesses "a slouch so extreme that he appears to have left his skeleton at home." Then Mr. Ray Porter steps into Mirabelle's life. He is much older, rich, successful, divorced, and selfish, desiring her "without obligation." Complicating the picture is Mirabelle's voracious rival, her fellow Neiman's employee Lisa, who uses sex "for attracting and discarding men."

The mutual incomprehension, psychological damage, and sheer vacuity practiced by all four of Martin's characters sees Shopgirl veer rather uncomfortably between a comedy of manners and a much darker work. There are some startling passages of description and interior monologue, but the characters are often rather hazy types. Martin tries too hard in his attempt to write a psychologically intense novel about West Coast anomie, but Shopgirl is still an enjoyable, if rather light, read. --Jerry Brotton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:34 -0400)

A young, beautiful, shy girl named Mirabelle, a glove counter worker at Neiman Marcus, begins a relationship with a wealthy businessman old enough to be her father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible