Shopgirl: A Novella by Steve Martin

Shopgirl: A Novella (original 2000; edition 2006)

by Steve Martin

Member:femurneck
Title:Shopgirl: A Novella
Authors:Steve Martin
Info:Hyperion (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages

Shopgirl by Steve Martin (2000)

(6/10) I'll be honest I wasn't expecting much when I started this book knowing who the author was. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself chuckling away on my lunch break while reading this, he is a far better writer than I thought he would be.

I found the style and almost total lack of dialogue quite refreshing, it left me feeling like a godlike psychology genius was narrating the story and shaking his head at the stupidity of the characters who thought they knew what they were doing but in actual fact were operating on a completely different level of their own subconscious!

It's a light read and at times it did loose me a bit in some of the longer paragraphs, but it always grabbed me back with a witty one liner. I wasn't overly committed to any of the characters besides the narrator and I was a bit disappointed with the ending, I was hoping Mirabelle and Ray would work it out but instead Ray has a strange epiphany where he works out she was using him as a father substitute (strange as he was so oblivious to complex human feelings the rest of the time), this freaked me out a bit as they fancied each other so much throughout.

Overall not a bad read and something a bit different to my usual fare. ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Mar 8, 2017 |
Steve Martin's got a talent for writing.
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
Charming, but the charm wears thin quickly when it becomes clear that Martin is far more interested in and capable of charm than he is of writing characters and plot into a novel. The book attempts to cover this up with frank, sudden descriptions of characters' interest in sex.

Overall, dull and lifeless with quickly waning charm - which is nice for the first 20 pages or so. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
I love this book so much I often give it as a gift to other avid readers. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
A much faster read/listen than I'd anticipated. I enjoyed the storyline's angst'n'pathos approach and, basically, enjoyed this book. In 1963, I was a reclusive freshman at Garden Grove High School (in Garden Grove, California); Steve Martin was an energetic, involved, funny and very popular senior. I knew, early on, that he would find success in whatever field he chose to follow; as it happens, he has found success in numerous fields - music, film/acting, comedy and writing. That having been said, perhaps audiobook narration isn't one of his super-skills. Regardless, the storyline held my interest, I was able to relate to more than one of his well-defined characters and I enjoyed the time spent with Mirabelle, the shopgirl. Four stars. ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |

For Allyson
When you work in the glove department at Neiman's, you are selling things that nobody buys anymore.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786891076, Mass Market Paperback)

Steve Martin's first foray into fiction is as assured as it is surprising. Set in Los Angeles, its fascination with the surreal body fascism of the upper classes feels like the comedian's familiar territory, but the shopgirl of the book's title may surprise his fans. Mirabelle works in the glove department of Neiman's, "selling things that nobody buys any more." Spending her days waiting for customers to appear, Mirabelle "looks like a puppy standing on its hind legs, and the two brown dots of her eyes, set in the china plate of her face, make her seem very cute and noticeable." Lonely and vulnerable, she passes her evenings taking prescription drugs and drawing "dead things," while pursuing an on-off relationship with the hopeless Jeremy, who possesses "a slouch so extreme that he appears to have left his skeleton at home." Then Mr. Ray Porter steps into Mirabelle's life. He is much older, rich, successful, divorced, and selfish, desiring her "without obligation." Complicating the picture is Mirabelle's voracious rival, her fellow Neiman's employee Lisa, who uses sex "for attracting and discarding men."

The mutual incomprehension, psychological damage, and sheer vacuity practiced by all four of Martin's characters sees Shopgirl veer rather uncomfortably between a comedy of manners and a much darker work. There are some startling passages of description and interior monologue, but the characters are often rather hazy types. Martin tries too hard in his attempt to write a psychologically intense novel about West Coast anomie, but Shopgirl is still an enjoyable, if rather light, read. --Jerry Brotton

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:34 -0400)

A young, beautiful, shy girl named Mirabelle, a glove counter worker at Neiman Marcus, begins a relationship with a wealthy businessman old enough to be her father.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,280,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible