Burned by Ellen Hopkins

Burned (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Ellen Hopkins

Member:calibrary1
Title:Burned
Authors:Ellen Hopkins
Info:
Collections:Spring 2007 Additions
Rating:*****

Burned by Ellen Hopkins (2006)

An incredible cliffhanger. Seventeen year old Pattyn struggles to find survive her abusive Mormon family and manages to still find fleeting happiness. Another characteristic Hopkins novel in verse. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 18, 2014 |
Pattyn is a Mormon high school junior living in Nevada. Her life takes some twists and turns and she starts to question her parents and her religion. As a result she is sent to her aunt for the summer to be "fixed." She experiences a summer of learning and growth but now she has to go home with more questions than when she left. How will she face her strict Mormon family and community after a summer of freedom and exploration? Great read with a shocking plot twist at the end. Couldn't stop reading it! ( )
  alsparks324 | Dec 5, 2013 |
Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

He was a dream. A safe dream.
Safe, because he was unattainable,
something to adore from afar.
Like a snow-drenched mountain
or an evening star.

The Storyline
17-year old Pattyn Von Stratten is the oldest child in a Mormon family which consists of an alcoholic and abusive father and an extremely overwhelmed mother. Unconsciously, she starts to rebel little by little from her strict family’s rules. After her father catches her in a moment of rebellion she is inevitably sent to live with her Aunt in rural Nevada. Pattyn begins to realize that life with her Aunt may not be as bad as she had originally thought and that going back to her old life may be harder than she thought.

Thoughts
This was the second Ellen Hopkins book I’ve read, and even though this was not as enjoyable as [b:Triangles|10843755|Triangles|Ellen Hopkins|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1313893537s/10843755.jpg|15709019], I did still enjoy it. It was damn near impossible not to feel bad for Pattyn and her 'moments of rebellion' which wasn't even anything that bad... her family just put her on such a short leash that any form of rebellion was conceived as horrible and wrong.

I can't help but feel that these types of family situations only make things worse on these children in the long run. Placing so many rules and responsibilities on them at such a young age usually leads to crazy acts of rebellion. Of course this is not always the case and many kids that live in strict households end up turning perfectly decent members of society. When I was in high school I used to have two really good friends who were both Mormons from large families (with enormous responsibilities) who ended up having a huge impact on how I view families such as these.

I finished this book with my jaw on the ground; it was an extremely abrupt and unexpected ending. I went into this thinking that it was a stand-alone novel but come to find out there's more to come in this series... I'm extremely interested in seeing how the author takes this story. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |
Exquisite prose and wise use of white space, breaks in text, and other techniques to engage readers and further pull us into Pattyn's world. The book deals with difficult issues that teens may be facing: abuse, bullying, "slut-shaming" and others. However, Hopkins is overly dramatic in combining pretty much every horrible thing that could happen to a teen girl into one book; additionally, the book is based on negative stereotypes regarding a religious minority (Mormons) that many readers may find offensive. ( )
  sschreur | Apr 20, 2013 |
Did I ever tell you about the time the author tracked down my blog and left me a comment because I said not nice things about her book? Yeah, it was interesting. But I still stand by what I said then, the ending was not set up enough by the story. I understand as an author she wanted to end up somewhere but the rising action did not equal the climax, 3 pages from the end of the book. Style aside, I felt cheated because the reader only sees one half of the story and the 2nd half would be more interesting. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
"This book is dedicated to my exceptional editor and support system, Julia Richardson. With special thanks to kathleen Jones, who found the courage to forge her own path, and without whose help this book would not have been as accurate a glimpse of a young woman struggling with her religion."
"When you were little, endure your parents' warnings, then wait for them to leave the room, pry loose protective covers and consider inserting some metal object into an electrical outlet?"

Seventeen-year-old Pattyn, the eldest daughter in a large Mormon family, is sent to her aunt's Nevada ranch for the summer, where she temporarily escapes her alcoholic, abusive father and finds love and acceptance, only to lose everything when she returns home.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,392,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible