Burned by Ellen Hopkins

Burned (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Ellen Hopkins

Authors:Ellen Hopkins
Info:Margaret K. McElderry (2006), Hardcover, 544 pages
Collections:Spring 2007 Additions

Burned by Ellen Hopkins (2006)

Burned is narrated by a high school girl (Pattyn) growing up in a strict mormon family. She suffers silently as her family takes a backseat to her religion and she start to question and explore life to find her place in a world where she's told that women are nothing more than property. She is told that she is evil and full of sin and that she needs a man to validate her. To make matters worse, she is the oldest of many children and plays the role of mother to each of them. She cooks, and cleans and changes diapers all while her mother sits on the sofa watching tv and her father gets drunk. After she was caught "acting out" (doing things a normal teenager girl would do) her father sends her to stay with his sister for the summer. There she finds out more of her family history and she finds herself. Once returns home she does her best to hide her confidence and assimilate into the mormon community again even though she may never truly fit in again.

My thoughts:
This is the fourth book that I have read by Ellen Hopkins. I started with Crank and finished that series. It was those books that made me order the rest of her works.

Burned is a good read. Pattyn is a typical teenager girl struggling with identity. Her thoughts and actions are realistic and the plot was interesting. If you've grown up in a strict religious home then you may resonate with some of the thoughts that she had. I grew up Christian and had to learn how my faith fit in to the rest of the world. Granted I did not have to deal with 25% of the problems that she encountered. Just thinking of girls out there suffering through this makes me tear up.

Overall I enjoyed the book and finished is pretty quickly. Th plot was paced well and the main character was likable instantly. The only thing that was bittersweet was the ending. It made me sad. (I won't give it away). I was sad because of what happened and I was sad because of what that meant. I was hoping that thing would turn out differently but now I am ready to read the next book. (Im going to start is once I finish this review). ( )
  Natalie_Walker | Oct 27, 2015 |
I loved the style in which this book was told. The poetic nature changes from page to page and adds to the overall impact of the story. I also felt the story was honest in its depiction of teenage life and the struggles that face teenagers. This book should be in school libraries because of its style and brutal honesty. While not for everyone, this story would be enjoyable to many readers. ( )
  erikmurri | Apr 13, 2015 |
Hopkins, Ellen
2013. 560 pp. $12.99 pb. Margaret K. McElderry Books. 1442494611. Grades 9 and up.

Tags: poetry, young adult, fiction, abuse, alcoholism, violence, domestic abuse, free verse, teen pregnancy, romance, sex, religion, death, rage, survival, identity

As are her previous books, Hopkins’ Burned is written in eloquent yet powerful free verse poetry. The main character, Pattyn, lives as the oldest of eight sisters in a radically religious home with a subservient mother and abusive father. As she realizes that the rules of the church dictate that she, too, is to live the life of a submissive wife, Pattyn begins to question her religion and its strict rules. Pattyn soon experiences her first high school crush, which results in disappointment and rage. Consequently, Pattyn’s father sends her to live the summer with an estranged aunt on a ranch in Nevada. There Pattyn discovers love, tolerance, and acceptance. Unfortunately, Pattyn’s fairytale doesn’t last long, as much more heartache unfolds. Though beautifully and interestingly written, the story may leave many readers disappointed, as the ending deflates rapidly while the main character chooses to fight her torments with violence. On the other hand, the last chapter titled “Plans Made” provides enough suspense to encourage the reader to continue with the next book in the series. Though this book does contain mature themes, Hopkins skips the graphic descriptions and uses profanity sparingly. Young adult readers are certain to seek out this book along with Hopkins’ other novels. ( )
  ginawilliams | Oct 22, 2014 |
An incredible cliffhanger. Seventeen year old Pattyn struggles to find survive her abusive Mormon family and manages to still find fleeting happiness. Another characteristic Hopkins novel in verse. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Feb 18, 2014 |
Pattyn is a Mormon high school junior living in Nevada. Her life takes some twists and turns and she starts to question her parents and her religion. As a result she is sent to her aunt for the summer to be "fixed." She experiences a summer of learning and growth but now she has to go home with more questions than when she left. How will she face her strict Mormon family and community after a summer of freedom and exploration? Great read with a shocking plot twist at the end. Couldn't stop reading it! ( )
  alsparks324 | Dec 5, 2013 |
"This book is dedicated to my exceptional editor and support system, Julia Richardson. With special thanks to kathleen Jones, who found the courage to forge her own path, and without whose help this book would not have been as accurate a glimpse of a young woman struggling with her religion."
"When you were little, endure your parents' warnings, then wait for them to leave the room, pry loose protective covers and consider inserting some metal object into an electrical outlet?"

Seventeen-year-old Pattyn, the eldest daughter in a large Mormon family, is sent to her aunt's Nevada ranch for the summer, where she temporarily escapes her alcoholic, abusive father and finds love and acceptance, only to lose everything when she returns home.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,961,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible