Going Home by Harriet Evans

Going Home

by Harriet Evans

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All (6)
A below-average chick lit novel. The heroine starts off well enough but very soon gets irritating, as does her whole family. I liked the on-off boyfriend Jaden but I had no idea what he was doing with Lizzie. It's all rather ridiculous and she ends up with the wrong man who isn't very nice at all. Not recommended. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Dec 7, 2015 |
Opening Sentence: ‘…The bus ground its way slowly up the Edgware Road as I sat, like a mad old bag lady,gripping my last minute Christmas shopping between my legs and on my lap, casting angry glances at those who tried to sit anywhere near me…’

I just couldn’t settle into this book – kept putting it down and reading something else. I really feel it was me rather than the author – because it wasn’t a bad story, it just wasn’t great.

Lizzy Walter is living and working in London with a production company. She travels home to the country home for Christmas with her sister Jess and cousin Tom only to discover that ‘Keeper House’ must be sold to pay her adored, but unreliable, Uncle Mike’s debts. The rest of her family seems to accept the loss of their family home, but coming on top of a split with the love of her life, David, Liz is in denial. With three men in her life she is kept busy – but what she really wants is David and her family home.

I did start out enjoying this book – but I lost respect for Lizzy – how could she sleep with her true love’s brother – it is ikky. No matter what she perceives David’s alleged sin to be – surely she should have at least mention it to him. All through the book we hear how terrible his act of betrayal is – only to find out she never ever actually discussed it with him.

The rest of the family saved the book – I really enjoyed the different characters and how they interacted with each other – Chin, Gibbo and Tom were the standouts for me. ( )
  sally906 | Dec 9, 2009 |
Liked the other books I'd read of hers but didn't even start to like the main character until after the first 200 pages! All the characters were a bit confusing too. Was satisfied by the ending but feel like this one's forgettable. ( )
  safetygirl | Sep 1, 2009 |
Going Home is not your typical Chick Lit book. It isn't fluffy & lighthearted. It is real & intense. Lizzy's emotions jump off the page & sucks you in. Harriet Evans did a great job & has found a loyal reader with me. I look forward to reading her next book. ( )
  charlotteg | Oct 28, 2008 |
My husband got this for me for Christmas. Better than alot of chick lit. Standard agonies of family and romance with a happy ending. ( )
  alicebook | Apr 16, 2006 |
“But I think she would have been happy with Fabrice," I said. "He was the love of her life, you know.”
“Oh dulling, " said my mother sadly."one always thinks that. Every, every time."
- Nancy Mitford, Pursuit of Love
To Rebecca and Pippa, with love and thanks for everything.
The bus ground its way slowly up the Edgware Road as I sat, like a mad old bag lady, gripping my last-minute Christmas shopping between my legs and on my lap, casting angry glances at those who tried to sit anywhere near me.

They say love feels like going home ... but what if your home is no longer there? Leaving her tiny flat in London -- and a whole host of headaches behind -- Lizzy Walter is making the familiar journey back home to spend Christmas with her chaotic but big-hear ted family. In an ever-changing world, her parents' country home, Keeper House, is the one constant. But behind the mistletoe and mince pies, family secrets and rivalries lurk. And when David, the Love of Her Life -- or so she thought -- makes an unexpected reappearance, this one ranks as a Christmas she would definitely rather forget. As winter slowly turns to spring, all the things that Lizzy has taken for granted begin to shift. Keeper House is in jeopardy and might have to be sold for reasons Lizzy doesn't understand. Her family seems fractured like never before. And, with a new man in her life, she may finally have to kiss her dream of a reunion with David good-bye. By the time the Walters gather at Keeper House for a summer wedding, the stakes have never been higher -- for Lizzy, for her family, and for love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible