The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
Member:Arhhj
Title:The Curse of Chalion
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:New York : Eos, c2001.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (2001)

Recently added byzigzagoon, manishma, private library, Ession, amastny, oxlabyrinthxo, Raven
Legacy LibrariesInternational Space Station
    The Spirit Ring by Lois McMaster Bujold (Patangel)
    The Shadow Queen by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    Commitment Hour by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Both books feature well-drawn, believable, and hopeful SFF religions.
    The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon (Athabasca)
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For similar moods of utter desperation.
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (infiniteletters)
    To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books are fantasy novels featuring an older, male protagonist who is struggling with past injuries (both physical and mental) and yet overcomes these in order to serve his kingdom. There are strong themes of self-sacrifice in both books.

English (111)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (113)
Entertaining if not particularly original. The characterisation was good enough to mostly overcome irritation at damsels in distress and feckless princes... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
If Bujold had never written any other books, this would be enough for her legacy (but of course, having written the Vorkosigan saga made this one possible).
Practically perfect in every way (well, a few very minor quibbles).
Have bought and given away multiple copies. ( )
  librisissimo | Jun 8, 2016 |
Pretty grim in places but still rings with truth. This is the first in the World of Five Gods series, a medieval alternative world setting with strong elements of magic and intervention in human affairs by the afore mentioned 5 gods. Our protagonist and hero Cazaril never really believes himself to be worthy, which was a really endearing trait in the character who really pushes the action along. ( )
  Matt_B | May 14, 2016 |
I had almost forgotten just how much I adore this book! I'm glad I remembered my love for it enough, to think to re-read it - or listen to it this time, as the case may be... ( )
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
Excellent. I could not sit still while I read this; it was too exciting. I loved everything, not least the detailed society and three dimensional characters.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Ultimately, I can’t recommend this book highly enough. It drags very slightly in the middle, but that’s almost unnoticeable -- and the only flaw I can pick out in this book. If you’re a fantasy fan, pick this one up. If you’re a Vorkosigan fan but have been reluctant to try a Bujold that’s not a Vorkosigan book, don’t be. Take the plunge and pick this one up. You won’t regret it. Bujold’s hit another home run.

I really enjoy the way religion is portrayed in this book; I like the way its effect on the details of daily life have been thought through, including what being a saint might actually be like, and I also find the religion itself quite appealing. The problem, if you consider it a problem, is that theology ends up tying the plot into a very neat circle—too neat from some people, and I confess it bothered me somewhat as well, though I can see how it follows from the world's internal logic. If you're the kind of person that this sort of thing really bothers, don't read Chalion. Otherwise, I strongly recommend it.
added by tcgardner | editSteelypips, Kate Nepveu (Apr 18, 2002)

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bowers, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cazaril heard the mounted horsemen on the road before he saw them.
Originally published by Eos, (c2001), ISBN: 0380979012

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380818604, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:39 -0400)

A man broken in body and spirit, Cazaril has returned to the noble household he once served as page, and is named, to his great surprise, secretary-tutor to the beautiful, strong-willed sister of the impetuous boy who is next in line to rule. It is as assignment Cazaril dreads, for it must ultimately lead him to the place he most fears: the royal court of Cardegoss, where the powerful enemies who once placed him in chains now occupy lofty positions. but it is more than the traitorous intrigues of villains that threaten Cazaril and the Royesse Iselle here, for a sinister curse hangs like a sword over the entire blighted House of Chalion and all who stand in their circle. And only by employing the darkest, most forbidden of magics can Cazaril hope to protect his royal charge -- an act that will mark the loyal, damaged servant as a tool of the miraculous ... and trap him, flesh and soul, in a maze of demonic paradox, damnation, and death.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,510,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible