The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Curse of Chalion (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Lois McMaster Bujold

Member:Arhhj
Title:The Curse of Chalion
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:New York : Eos, c2001.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (2001)

Recently added bylohengrin, dwitty, Koenix, shinyjenni, steffimaus, Jostaberry, h-mb, private library, Zeke_R
Legacy LibrariesInternational Space Station
    The Spirit Ring by Lois McMaster Bujold (Patangel)
    The Shadow Queen by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    Commitment Hour by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Both books feature well-drawn, believable, and hopeful SFF religions.
    The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon (Athabasca)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (infiniteletters)
    To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books are fantasy novels featuring an older, male protagonist who is struggling with past injuries (both physical and mental) and yet overcomes these in order to serve his kingdom. There are strong themes of self-sacrifice in both books.

English (101)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (103)
Bujold is unmistakably a master. I first saw her work serialized in Analog and I read all or most of the stories about Miles V years ago. With career and family, my reading went by the wayside for a long time. In rediscovering Bujold now, all I can say is, "wow!"
The mastery shows on all levels. The story-telling is superb. The fluency and poetry of the writing is really impressive. The twists and turns of the plot are effortlessly dextrous, bringing surprises without ever failing to make sense. The world of Chalion is marvelously imagined and populated with wonderfully well-drawn characters. Bujold seems to like slightly broken protagonists - who nevertheless win in the end. She does it again here. The magic is well thought out. In particular, the five gods (Mother, Father, Son, Daughter, and Bastard) have the right balance between powers and constraints to make for conflict that really works. (They can only act in the world of matter through people, and only if those people are willing.) Altogether I found this book pretty awe-inspiring. ( )
  Carol_W | Apr 17, 2015 |
Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
A very good book by the author of the Vorkosigan saga. It's a fresh, new universe and Bujold does an excellent job of not explaining too much. The societal structure and, most importantly, the theology of this world are revealed throughout the entire book.

Theology and broken people are the focus of this book. The hero, Cazaril, is a broken man at the start of the book and through his ponderings we learn about the gods of this realm and the role they play in the society. Especially towards the end I felt the explanations were a bit vague, but this didn't hurt my overall impression of the book, which was very good. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
Re-read. So good! Fantastic world-building and characters. ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I've been told by many people that this is a really good book, and I have to agree. Aside from having good characters, good character development and a good story, I very much like the image portrayed in The curse of Chalion of the way the gods interact with the world. I like how the saints tend to be rather wary of their gifts and how in the end, that's not the gods fault; they have to work with the tools at hand just as much as we do. Cazaril's bemusement at the end was very well described; I loved his conclusions about how the gods marvel at the ways of matter as we do at the possibilities of spirit. Despite the protagonist of this book being male, I'm impressed with the way it does not give short shrift to its female characters. Some of them may be young to begin with, but they show great courage, determination and wisdom, as well as kindness and friendship, especially when they grow into their power. Chalion's society may view women as less than men, none of its characters see that as anything other than another rule that can be used to advantage in their political games. A lovely book, I must certainly check out more books by this author! ( )
  zjakkelien | Dec 21, 2014 |
Ultimately, I can’t recommend this book highly enough. It drags very slightly in the middle, but that’s almost unnoticeable -- and the only flaw I can pick out in this book. If you’re a fantasy fan, pick this one up. If you’re a Vorkosigan fan but have been reluctant to try a Bujold that’s not a Vorkosigan book, don’t be. Take the plunge and pick this one up. You won’t regret it. Bujold’s hit another home run.

I really enjoy the way religion is portrayed in this book; I like the way its effect on the details of daily life have been thought through, including what being a saint might actually be like, and I also find the religion itself quite appealing. The problem, if you consider it a problem, is that theology ends up tying the plot into a very neat circle—too neat from some people, and I confess it bothered me somewhat as well, though I can see how it follows from the world's internal logic. If you're the kind of person that this sort of thing really bothers, don't read Chalion. Otherwise, I strongly recommend it.
added by tcgardner | editSteelypips, Kate Nepveu (Apr 18, 2002)

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cazaril heard the mounted horsemen on the road before he saw them.
Originally published by Eos, (c2001), ISBN: 0380979012

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380818604, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:39 -0400)

A man broken in body and spirit, Cazaril has returned to the noble household he once served as page, and is named, to his great surprise, secretary-tutor to the beautiful, strong-willed sister of the impetuous boy who is next in line to rule. It is as assignment Cazaril dreads, for it must ultimately lead him to the place he most fears: the royal court of Cardegoss, where the powerful enemies who once placed him in chains now occupy lofty positions. but it is more than the traitorous intrigues of villains that threaten Cazaril and the Royesse Iselle here, for a sinister curse hangs like a sword over the entire blighted House of Chalion and all who stand in their circle. And only by employing the darkest, most forbidden of magics can Cazaril hope to protect his royal charge -- an act that will mark the loyal, damaged servant as a tool of the miraculous ... and trap him, flesh and soul, in a maze of demonic paradox, damnation, and death.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,946,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible