The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
Member:Arhhj
Title:The Curse of Chalion
Authors:Lois McMaster Bujold
Info:New York : Eos, c2001.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (2001)

The Spirit Ring by Lois McMaster Bujold (Patangel)
    Commitment Hour by James Alan Gardner (PhoenixFalls)
    PhoenixFalls: Both books feature well-drawn, believable, and hopeful SFF religions.
    The Shadow Queen by Anne Bishop (MyriadBooks)
    Uprooted by Naomi Novik (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For similar moods of utter desperation.
    The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon (Athabasca)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (infiniteletters)
    The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For protagonists who have been thrown to the deep end, politically speaking.
    To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books are fantasy novels featuring an older, male protagonist who is struggling with past injuries (both physical and mental) and yet overcomes these in order to serve his kingdom. There are strong themes of self-sacrifice in both books.

English (115)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All (117)
I read this a long time ago, and liked it. I picked it up solely because of the author - I'm a huge fan of her Vorkosigan books. This was too much in the fantasy genre for my tastes, and I never went on to the rest of this series. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Chalion
Series: Chalion
Author: Lois Bujold
Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 512
Format: Kindle

Synopsis:
A betrayed, broken soldier comes begging for a job at the old castle where he used to be a page. He becomes the tutor to the eldest daughter and her handmaid and when said daughter and her younger brother are called to the capital to begin their grooming of being royal heirs, Soldier Man follows along. Right into the middle of a curse on the whole nation. Now it is up to him and a small group to try to break this curse before it devours the entire country with civil war. My Thoughts: This should have been a 4 or 4 1/2 star read. It had everything I wanted, in spades. A good hero with some great friends. A couple of young lassies who have and actually use their brains. Bad guys who were B-AAAAHHHHH-D. Magic. Demons and gods. The perfect amount of romance. But about half way through I just couldn't wait for it to be over. I don't know why and I can't pin ANYTHING down as to why this didn't do it for me. The writing was top notch as well. It isn't like I hated it [giving it 3 stars means it was enjoyable] or anything, but I simply have no desire to read any more in this series or anything by Bujold at all. And there is one thing I can nail down, even though it makes no sense. Lois whateverhermiddlenameis Bujold. I hate it when authors use middle names. I can understand when they use a middle initial if their name is common, like John Smith. But Lois Bujold? I JUST realized, perhaps that was her maiden name? Doesn't matter. Among the hundreds of Lois Bujold's that I know, thank goodness this one distinguishes herself with another name. I am thinking of contacting Patricia McKillip and telling her that all the cool authors are using 3 names now, so she should get on the band wagon. Since this is literally the only thing I can complain about this book, it remains a mystery to me why this just didn't rise above the so-so for me. Ah well, maybe Sherlock can solve this case someday. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
It's been a while since I've read this and, from reading the reviews, I don't remember it as well as I thought. I remember liking it overall, but not being interested enough to continue the series. I'll probably re-read this at some point. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
An involving tale of a simple soldier, an unlanded lord, who finds himself employed in a royal household gripped by madness, betrayal, and ambition, and with the impression that he has been chosen by deity for a greater purpose. Very good read. ( )
  fuzzi | Oct 4, 2016 |
Entertaining if not particularly original. The characterisation was good enough to mostly overcome irritation at damsels in distress and feckless princes... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Ultimately, I can’t recommend this book highly enough. It drags very slightly in the middle, but that’s almost unnoticeable -- and the only flaw I can pick out in this book. If you’re a fantasy fan, pick this one up. If you’re a Vorkosigan fan but have been reluctant to try a Bujold that’s not a Vorkosigan book, don’t be. Take the plunge and pick this one up. You won’t regret it. Bujold’s hit another home run.

I really enjoy the way religion is portrayed in this book; I like the way its effect on the details of daily life have been thought through, including what being a saint might actually be like, and I also find the religion itself quite appealing. The problem, if you consider it a problem, is that theology ends up tying the plot into a very neat circle—too neat from some people, and I confess it bothered me somewhat as well, though I can see how it follows from the world's internal logic. If you're the kind of person that this sort of thing really bothers, don't read Chalion. Otherwise, I strongly recommend it.
added by tcgardner | editSteelypips, Kate Nepveu (Apr 18, 2002)

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beekman, DougCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bowers, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, LloydNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cazaril heard the mounted horsemen on the road before he saw them.
Originally published by Eos, (c2001), ISBN: 0380979012

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380818604, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:39 -0400)

A man broken in body and spirit, Cazaril has returned to the noble household he once served as page, and is named, to his great surprise, secretary-tutor to the beautiful, strong-willed sister of the impetuous boy who is next in line to rule. It is as assignment Cazaril dreads, for it must ultimately lead him to the place he most fears: the royal court of Cardegoss, where the powerful enemies who once placed him in chains now occupy lofty positions. but it is more than the traitorous intrigues of villains that threaten Cazaril and the Royesse Iselle here, for a sinister curse hangs like a sword over the entire blighted House of Chalion and all who stand in their circle. And only by employing the darkest, most forbidden of magics can Cazaril hope to protect his royal charge -- an act that will mark the loyal, damaged servant as a tool of the miraculous ... and trap him, flesh and soul, in a maze of demonic paradox, damnation, and death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,509,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible