The New Baby by Mercer Mayer

The New Baby

by Mercer Mayer

English (14)  Spanish (1)  All languages (15)
Summary-Little Critter gets a new baby sister. He doesn't understand why the baby won't pay attention to anything he does and gets frustrated when she won't laugh at his jokes or anything. Eventually, Little Critter figures out what he actually can do with a new baby and turns out to be a great big brother.
Personal Reaction-This book explains easily and perfectly to a little kid whose life is changing and who is about to get a new baby brother or sister. I read this to my son when he was about a year old for the first time to help transition him into getting a new baby brother in his life. Also several times when the baby was born because he got jealous a lot. This book seemed to help a ton because he understood quickly. It reassured Samuel that he would lose any love or attention from Mommy and Daddy.
Classroom Extension-Have a classroom discussion about having a new baby brother or sister, or both! Kids with younger sibling can share their experiences and advice with the others.
  sarah_desrosier | Nov 12, 2014 |
This is a great book for children who have a new brother or sister.
This book come from Pierce College.
age 2 and up
  xiomaragrace12 | Oct 28, 2013 |
A new baby arrived in the family which became a problem with the little boy. He did not want to share his mom with the baby.
Source: Pierce College
Age:3-5
  raymondje | May 15, 2013 |
In this well-loved Little Critter picture book, our funny young hero has to get used to a new baby sister. What a problem. The baby doesn't pay attention when Little Critter reads to her. She cries when he makes silly faces. And she can't understand the jokes he tells. It's seems like an impossible task, but Little Critter finally figures out what you CAN do with a new baby -- and becomes a very good brother.
  clwalker | Jun 13, 2012 |
A perfect book for my family, which has just had a new addition as well. My oldest daughter is only two, so I appreciate stories that are at her level. The story is concise and funny. As with other books in this series, Mayer really captures a young child's perspective in this book. I love when Little Critter asks what a baby can actually do. The story is sweet and the illustrations are cute. I feel like my review of every Little Critter book is the same, but I love them all equally, I guess. This is another great one. ( )
  nmhale | May 11, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307119424, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:04 -0400)

The new baby takes some getting used to, but she's worth it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,988,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible