The New Baby by Mercer Mayer

The New Baby

by Mercer Mayer

English (20)  Spanish (1)  All languages (21)
The main character is told that he is going to have a new baby sister. When she arrives, he wants to show her all of his favorite things and tell his favorite joke, but she ignores him. The new baby cries often, and sometimes she smells funny. He starts to wonder what is so great about babies, but then learns how to play with her. ( )
  nfernan1 | Sep 15, 2017 |
brother gets a baby sister and at first he doesn't like her but eventually he realizes that he loves his baby sister.
2 book
  TUCC | Dec 19, 2016 |
The New Baby by Marcer Mayer is one of the Little Critter books. I enjoyed this book because it teaches kids about new baby and that you have to be careful with them but they can still be fun to have in your family. In this book the main boy is learning how to play with his new baby sister. His mom explains to him the things baby like and can do. "Mom says we can cuddle her and rock her to sleep. We can tickle her tummy and make her laugh or give her a rattle to play with." The pictures in the book are very detailed but do not have to much going on, the illustrator makes it clear on what the reader is to focus on. the story is very cute and sweet. ( )
  MeganSiebeneichen | Nov 16, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book simply because it introduces the idea of gaining a new sibling as a child and the aspects that go along with it. New beginnings and changes are evident throughout this book, which tends to be the theme or overall message. The character represented is excited to meet the new member of the family, but seems as if he does not know what the baby is capable of. Mercer Mayer, the author, exclaims, "I got out my ball and bat and my favorite games to show to the baby." Little does he know, the newborn baby does not know how to play with those toys. He quickly realizes this and starts to read his favorite picture book out loud to the baby, where she did not pay attention to him and chose to cry. Later on, Mayer included, "Mom says we can cuddle her... and rock her to sleep." After being introduced the concepts of a baby sibling, he grasps that he can take the baby for a walk, where his friends think about how lucky he is. On another hand, the facial expressions of the character tell a story themselves. For example, when he questions, "What can you do with a new baby?" his face looks curious and confused on what to do. Or when he gives the baby a rattle to play with, he closes his eyes as that is a natural instinct of someone. Readers are able to recognize what it is like to become an older sibling through Mayer's words and illustrations. ( )
  mbauer9 | Oct 23, 2016 |
There were some qualities of the book, The New Baby that I did and did not like. I do like the main character because he is easily relatable to children. The story’s plot involves his parents having a new baby, so he is trying to play and develop a relationship with his new baby sister. Young children can relate to the character and what happens in the story because their parents are typically having babies. A child can read this book to develop a sense of what it is going to be like to have a baby sibling around. Also, I noticed on every page that there was a mouse hidden somewhere. I think this is a cool feature to add because children that read it can try to find where the mouse is on every page. Although it is for small children, I found that the book had poor language. It was very basic and did not have repetition to make it easier for children to read. I believe the message of the story is that something may not always work out in the beginning, but after time it always can. At first, the character did not like his new baby sister; however, over time he found out how to play and have fun with her. I liked the book, but I believe it is mainly for young children or preschoolers. ( )
  Mroeme1 | Sep 13, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307119424, Paperback)

In this well-loved Little Critter picture book, our funny young hero has to get used to a new baby sister. What a problem. The baby doesn't pay attention when Little Critter reads to her. She cries when he makes silly faces. And she can't understand the jokes he tells. It's seems like an impossible task, but Little Critter finally figures out what you CAN do with a new baby -- and becomes a very good brother.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:15 -0400)

The new baby takes some getting used to, but she's worth it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,431,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible