The Liars' Club by Mary Karr

The Liars' Club

by Mary Karr

English (53)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (55)
Well written but depressing as hell! The confluence of her parents' vastly different worlds sparked a tension and conflict of mammoth proportions. That their world endured, however chaotically, was surprising. That Mary Karr evolved from that world without sociopathic tendencies is astonishing. If I read that Karr had a complete, total breakdown, I would not be surprised in the least. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
I had a mental block against reading The Liars' Club: A Memoir by Mary Karr (1995) since 1995 was right in the heart of my time working at Barnes and Noble and The Liars' Club was a runaway best seller. Anything that was a best seller in the late-1990s makes me wary after all the time I spent sticking on and taking off 30% and 20% off stickers and restocking the shelves at the front of the store. My DAFFODILS book club, however, decided to read something from the 1990s and when this was was suggested, the nearly 20 years since I had to deal with those discount stickers disappeared and I finally felt ready to dive in.

[full review here: http://spacebeer.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-liars-club-memoir-by-mary-karr-1995.ht... ] ( )
  kristykay22 | Sep 1, 2014 |
48. The Liars' Club by Mary Karr (1995, 326 page paperback, Read August 15-24)

To some degree I encountered a childhood memoir just like this once before, in [The Glass Castle] by Jeanette Walls (published in 2005), which leaves me to wonder if there is a literary theme of the experiences of 1960's era children of somewhat well-educated white alcoholics. I'm over simplifying, since, for example, it would be difficult to call either of Mary Karr's parents well educated even if her mother spent her life immersed in Jean Paul Sartre.

Karr's memoir is mainly about two or three exceptionally hectic years in her rather crazy childhood. She grew up in the shadow of east Texas oil refineries, where her father worked. Her mother didn't quite do anything, including keep house. Her life takes its first dramatic change when her maternal grandmother comes to live in her house while undergoing rather gruesome and eventually failed treatment for cancer. Her grandmother mans the house as a damning judge,exposing the not-normal aspects of their lives. Then, when her grandmother finally passes, Mary's mother becomes unhinged. The alcoholism exaggerates, and she goes on a several different varieties of what I might call insane binges that basically don't stop until she runs out of money. Caught in the midst of all this is Mary and her older sister, and, her alcoholic father, who gets his own character study. The Liar's Club is the small group her father hangs out with at bars to tell crazy, generally made up an exaggerated stories - stories her father excels at.

The consequences to Mary and her sister are touched on, but not explored in depth. And, despite these consequences, this is not an angry memoir. It's maybe something more of a character study of her parents, or an exploration into parents who had so much say, but gave so little about themselves away. In my 10th anniversary edition every blurb in the book talks about how funny or "hilarious" this book is, which is, I think, an odd thing to take away as it's a bitter humor. I found it sad. But it is quite fascinating - in it's character studies of her parents, in the exploration of world around Mary that she was exposed to, and in her own young response to all this. ( )
1 vote dchaikin | Aug 25, 2014 |
Good book. However, the narrator was somewhat detached when discussing her life. Very sad story. It did not feel like the 1960's. ( )
  shazjhb | Aug 3, 2014 |
I read Lit first just because I happened to find it first, and I'm glad I did. Lit was fantastic and made me want to read more and more and more. I do think The Liars' Club was good, but I don't think it would have left me compelled to seek out her other books if I had started with it. ( )
  earthforms | Feb 2, 2014 |
My sharpest memory is of a single instant surrounded by dark.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143035746, Paperback)

In this funny, razor-edged memoir, Mary Karr, a prize-winning poet and critic, looks back at her upbringing in a swampy East Texas refinery town with a volatile, defiantly loving family. She recalls her painter mother, seven times married, whose outlaw spirit could tip into psychosis; a fist-swinging father who spun tales with his cronies--dubbed the Liars' Club; and a neighborhood rape when she was eight. An inheritance was squandered, endless bottles emptied, and guns leveled at the deserving and undeserving. With a raw authenticity stripped of self-pity and a poet's eye for the lyrical detail, Karr shows us a "terrific family of liars and drunks ... redeemed by a slow unearthing of truth."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:49 -0400)

The author, a poet, recounts her difficult childhood growing up in a Texas oil town.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible